The Pink House

Yann529

Always loved that location.  The interior is extremely cool.  I love that long hallway with the windows.  Remarkable that it's actually a '70s house as opposed to an '80s house.  Yet, it screams '80s!

• Like 2

I caught this at the bottom of the article: For your information, this ironic location is featured in the game “GTA – Miami Viceâ€!

What!?! apparently Emanuel from the Cosmo Team is unaware this house was first featured in the 80's iconic TV show - MIAMI VICE !

• Like 2

Here a couple of interesting facts about the house.  The architect mentioned in the article, Laurinda Spear, was a principle at the firm Arquitectonica which was responsible for the design of the Atlantis Condominiums, now iconic because of its use in the opening montage of the show.  Bob Vila visited the Pink House in the early/mid 80's for the television show This Old House.  Vila would later work with Spear on a kitchen remodel in Miami for his show Home Again.  I know the latter is available to be seen on his website, but I don't know about the This Old House segment.  I saw it when it originally aired and not since.

• Like 2

I caught this at the bottom of the article: For your information, this ironic location is featured in the game “GTA – Miami Viceâ€!

What!?! apparently Emanuel from the Cosmo Team is unaware this house was first featured in the 80's iconic TV show - MIAMI VICE !

Lol..and not even a mention of Tony Amato. That was an astonishing oversight by the writer who, at face value, seemed to have done some 70s research. :rolleyes:

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • Administrators

I caught this at the bottom of the article: For your information, this ironic location is featured in the game “GTA – Miami Vice”!

They also used the word "ironic" instead of iconic.  :)

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

Here a couple of interesting facts about the house.  The architect mentioned in the article, Laurinda Spear, was a principle at the firm Arquitectonica which was responsible for the design of the Atlantis Condominiums, now iconic because of its use in the opening montage of the show.  Bob Vila visited the Pink House in the early/mid 80's for the television show This Old House.  Vila would later work with Spear on a kitchen remodel in Miami for his show Home Again.  I know the latter is available to be seen on his website, but I don't know about the This Old House segment.  I saw it when it originally aired and not since.

Thanks for posting!

It is episode 1201 of Home Again.  It starts with a tour of Miami.  Around 13:49 you can see Laurinda Spear discussing the house remodel:

At 12:20 of episode 1202 he tours the Barnacle in Coconut Grove (where Sonny kills Hackman at the end of Deliver Us From Evil):  

At 7:40 of episode 1203 he tours the Biltmore Hotel in Coral Gables (seen in Line of Fire and Freefall):

At 7:25 of episode 1205 he tours the Ancient Spanish Monastery (seen in Forgive Us Our Debts):

• Like 1

Thanks airtommy, learned some things about the Biltmore.  I grew up nearby, worked there as a volunteer when it was a VA hospital, and thought I knew everything about the place.  Great tour of the Old Spanish Monastery also (seen in Forgive Us Our Debts).

Edited by miamijimf

Pohanu mentions a Bob Vila tour in the Atlantis Condominium here:

http://miamiviceonline.com/index.php/topic/9130-tony-amatos-house-on-this-old-house/?hl=vila

but he couldnt' find it and neither can I.    

Here is an excellent Bob Vila tour of Lincoln Road Mall:

http://www.bobvila.com/sections/tv-shows/projects/9-miami-beach-condo/episodes/103-condo-feature-installations-and-touring-lincoln-road-miami-beach/videos/1082150286001-touring-lincoln-road-in-miami-beach

Edited by airtommy
  • Like 1

• 3 years later...
On ‎11‎/‎12‎/‎2014 at 7:52 AM, pahonu said:

I found the episode: https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x6dghm7

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x6dghm7

Edited by pahonu
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/26/2018 at 1:25 AM, pahonu said:

Bob Vila visited the Pink House in the early/mid 80's for the television show This Old House.

I found the episode: https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x6dghm7

Thanks, I'm so happy you found this!  I didn't know until now that the house is only one room deep.  It was designed that way so that every room has a view of the bay.  And it isn't as large as it appears, partly because the pool is enclosed within the walls.  It's only 4 bedrooms / 4 baths.

Now if we could just find that Bob Vila tour of the Atlantis Condominium.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, airtommy said:

Thanks, I'm so happy you found this!  I didn't know until now that the house is only one room deep.  It was designed that way so that every room has a view of the bay.  And it isn't as large as it appears, partly because the pool is enclosed within the walls.  It's only 4 bedrooms / 4 baths.

I’ve been here airtommy one year ago, spent the day there, anything you would like or pictures just holler.

There are a number of pictures from the 12th floor and swimming pool area I posted a few months back on “Hit List” and “Viking Bikers from Hell”.

3 hours ago, Matt5 said:

I’ve been here airtommy one year ago, spent the day there, anything you would like or pictures just holler.

There are a number of pictures from the 12th floor and swimming pool area I posted a few months back on “Hit List” and “Viking Bikers from Hell”.

Yup, I remember, those were great!

5 hours ago, Matt5 said:

I'd love to see any personal pics you have of the Atlantis.  :)  Did you mean inside?

15 hours ago, airtommy said:

The now gone home at 42 Star Island was also designed as largely one room deep.  In the 1920's it was for ventilation in those pre-AC days.  The Pink house did so for different reasons as you stated.  :)

Edited by pahonu
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, pahonu said:

The now gone home at 42 Star Island was also designed as largely one room deep.  In the 1920's it was for ventilation in those pre-AC days.  The Pink house did so for different reasons as you stated.  :)

Maybe it was that too!  In the video they claimed the Pink House doesn't need AC most of the time.

• Like 2

On 9/9/2018 at 2:22 PM, airtommy said:

Maybe it was that too!  In the video they claimed the Pink House doesn't need AC most of the time.

I agree with you and think that it was.  Laurinda Spear and Bernardo Fort-Brescia of Arquitectonica would have considered that as well.

Edited by pahonu
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Found this out about the Atlantis:  

Reality took some of the punch out of The Atlantis scheme, too. An oceanfront setback ordinance, passed after the building was planned, required it to be placed farther from the bay, behind this house rather than on top of it. But the house is being saved anyway, turned into a club house for the residents of the condominium and placed in the garden like a gazebo.

Edited by pahonu
  • Like 2

On 11/9/2014 at 3:05 PM, Yann529 said:

Many cool pictures of The Pink House (No Exit & Mirror Image) :cool::thumbsup:

http://www.investinmiamiproperty.com/property/the-pink-house

Looked better in 'No Exit' because of Michael Mann's perfect blend of colors around the outside of the house, most notably with the Amato's car, which was more or less the same color as the outside wall, his attention to detail was first class, In Mirror Image there was a yellow Porsche, and other things outside, which just looked wrong. 

Edited by RedDragon86
  • Like 1

On 10/24/2018 at 12:46 PM, RedDragon86 said:

Looked better in 'No Exit' because of Michael Mann's perfect blend of colors around the outside of the house, most notably with the Amato's car, which was more or less the same color as the outside wall, his attention to detail was first class

Yes!  That dark red Maserati looked so perfect parked there!

One disappointment when you visit the house in person is that there are often some cheapo cars parked there (maids, etc).  It just doesn't look "right".

• Like 1