Leonard Nimoy has passed, age 83

Kavinsky

From Cigarette smoking, 30 years ago

http://trekmovie.com/2015/02/27/leonard-nimoy-passes-away/

he was recently seen in a wheel chair and was suffering from Chronic Obstructive Pulmonory Disease, and it got him

I honestly dont know what to say, but oddly the line that Shatner said in ST5 is coming true, the one about dying alone, as he's the last of the primary trio still alive, and this has come to mind as I had just recently rewatched all of the Trek Movies, TOS to TNG, as that just seems to be comming to mind right now, and I was recently listening to the ST 6 soundtrack for some reason, the end songs of it, at 47 onwards

and maybe I knew ahead of time? who knows?

but this feels apt.

and its kind of weirdly really, the whole spock death thing in 2 was because he thought what happened with the TNG movies and Voyager and Enterprise was going to happen to TOS, and probably just because of him wanting to get out of it we got all those good movies and TNG, and DS9 came about as a result of it.

so we can thank him for four good movies and two good tv series post TOS really, and he did have kids at well.

may he rest in peace, god knows he deserves it, as without him who knows where trek would have gone.

Edited by Kavinsky

• Administrators

I have been a "Star Trek" fan since watching the original broadcasts back in the 60's.  "Star Trek" made it's debut in 1966, also the year that TV began broadcasting in color and the primary colored uniforms of red, yellow and blue looked great! What many don't know is that the show was actually cancelled after 2 seasons. After that thousands of fans wrote to NBC (there was no internet and the only computers were on the Starship Enterprise) They managed to bring the show back for 1 more season.  "Star Trek", like many other shows, gained it's popularity when it went into syndication. It gained it's true fan following in reruns which eventually lead to 6 movies with the original cast.

For me it will always be "Star Trek" over Star Wars.

Live long and prosper Leonard!    

• Like 1

• Administrators

Sorry to hear this. Loved Star Trek too. I just watched him and Shatner in an ep of TJ Hooker together. Leonard was a LT who's daughter was raped and he was after the guy. Hooker and him were old friends but pitted against each other.

He will be missed!

yeah its kind of funny trek has been saved atleast twice by its fans, once in the 1960's and in 1979 with TMP, as George Takei Revealed recently that the mentality on TMP was that it was going to be a one shot, and that they would only make another if it was considerably successful, as it was just a pain in the ass to make, and it had become heavily over budget, namely with the special effects house screwing up and getting nothing done in time, resulting in this man being brought in

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6IHykEhHwbM

plus spock was actually due to be replaced by that science officer that was killed in the transporter accident, as TMP was really an atempt to make another TV show, not a movie and it just got turned into that, and its just because the fans came out in droves, along with Doug Drexler, who was key in making one of the first star trek fan clubs that the film became successful and we got the sequel

and its because of that and the way Gene Treated him that he wanted out in the next film, as he was expecting the sequels to stagnate and get worse with every passing one, so he literally had it in his contract that he must die for the second film,

and also because of how badly gene handled the thing with TMP got Harve Bennett was brought in as the producer to handle the budget, which had been considerably slashed and a major problem with the first film, as he had a history of good control with that kind of thing,  and Nick Meyer was brought in to direct, with gene being kicked upstairs, so the filming experence was far better for him, and much more like on TOS, hence why he wanted to come back and the remember thing was put in

which deforest didnt know about until it happened, and actually gene's anger towards Nimoy worked out in the best interest of the film, as he leaked that Spock was supposed to die in the movie before it came out, so his death was doubled and shifted, the training Scenario, which is where Kristy Alley came in, as she was supposed to completely take over for his roll in the film

as Spock was supposed to die in the first attack, not peterson, and the soundtrack actually reflects that at 3:25 here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5PamaWg-_w

as it struck me as a surprise when I listened to that track on its own and your hit at the end with that sudden blast, like what the hell, that wasnt in there before?

also with TOS towards the end Gene actually didnt really care anymore, and someone else took over, hell Gene even put on a back door pilot in S3 with some stupid guy in a grey suit and a cat just to give himself something to do when it went under,  Assignment Earth.

which showed how much he really cared, and this wasnt the only case of him causing trouble behind the scenes, as problems arouse on TNG with some idiot producer he had put in power who caused a ton of problems with people, most notably with Harlan Ellison.

which also probably resulted in the season 2 and 3 overhaul of that show into what it became famous for, being a good show.

and the rest is history, and its because of him that it lasted as long as it did, when by all accounts it should have gone the way of countless other TV shows from the 1960's, with maybe a TV movie or two being made in its honor and that's that.

and instead we have one of the best villian films ever made, all thanks to him, and Ricardo of course.

and also weirdly I think this song would fit as a video tribute to him

or this obiviously

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zy9JuBMUMw8

and as deforest said in that film, he's never really gone, as long as we remember him, is an oddly timeless statement that really works.

Edited by Kavinsky
  • Like 1

oh come on lol he was a great guy after all, actually you can kind of see in this video that Chris Harris posted that his voice was going

https://twitter.com/harrismonkey/status/571366987907121153

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WPkByAkAdZs

kind of not unlike Sean Connery in the 1990's, where he had to have his throat operated on from throat cancer and then from then on till the end of his carreer he had his voice dubbed in most of his movies

and in a weird way if you think about it, if it wasnt for the second film with the way it was set up, I kind of wonder if there wouldnt of been a batman 1989 film, given the dueling nature of that film.

Edited by Kavinsky
  • Like 2

• Administrators

Thanks for this great link! I didn't know this video! It was fun to watch.

Miami Vice and Star Trek were the only tv shows I ever watched regularly. I grew up with TOS, Spock has always been the most "fascinating" hero of the show for me. His battle of words with Bones McCoy were sensational :-)

I'm glad Leonard Nimoy gave his final performance in the two "new" Star Trek movies.

These were his last public words, posted only a few days ago::

A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory.

Source: Twitter

I will always enjoy to remember!

Have a good journey, friend! Live long and prosper  _\\//

• Like 2

• Administrators

UPDATE:

Here's the original Twitter account of Leonard Nimoy.

You can find his original line on Feb. 23.

In the very previous post (on Feb 22) he shared one of his poetries.

Reading the lines it comes to my mind, that he might knew that he was going to leave ...

• Administrators

Another bit of trivia about the first movie.  Most of the cast originally was not interested in the movie but it turned out that none of them could picture somebody else playing their roles so eventually they all signed on.

I read about it last night and it's kinda sad, but he did live long and prosper so the best way to tribute him is to watch some of the TOS

Edited by thedeparted94

Latest updates,

http://trekmovie.com/2015/02/27/we-are-assembled-here-today-to-pay-final-respects-to-our-honored-dead-celebrating-leonard-nimoy/

I think the best thing I saw that made me feel better about this is that Linkara, a comic reviewer for that guy with the glasses, retweeted some fan shot that a bunch of guys did in Star Trek online on that games interpretaion of the old Connie bridge and the wording got to me

https://twitter.com/AzraelTheAngel1/status/571749947592314881

and all the faces of him we've seen over the years really

https://twitter.com/GeekologyUK/status/571443366333968384

he lived long and he prospered, they oughta put that on his tomb stone lol and yes I'm gushing and im not too ashamed to admit that lol

and honestly just thinking that makes me feel awhole hell of alot better about this,

also its worth noting I did love to play the old interplay Trek games back in the day, Starfleet command and armada namely, and damn I wish those would come back too

for those not in the know, these are the two I'm refering to

I just hope to hell Shatner can get a plane flight out tonight to his friends funeral, as because of jewish traditions he has to be burried within two days of his passing.

https://twitter.com/WilliamShatner

as its just really sad that this has come true

https://twitter.com/Nash076/status/571412945604898817

and ontop of that, the lady that I deal with at the subshop, I mentioned his passing to him and it turns out she used to live on the east end of boston and knew his family, turns out they used to run a barber shop there, as there were all about the same age, and in the same neighborhood so they knew each other, not recently but its just an interesting note about the whole thing.

as he was from here originally, and for whatever reason I just thought to mention it to her, as she was wondering why I wasnt my usual chatty self lol

also one of the things I love to quote from him isnt trek related though actually, its from the old simpsons episode Homer Vs the Monorale, written by none other than conan o brien

and I'm curious what he'll say on monday really.

Edited by Kavinsky

Hmm one of the key guys behind the scenes of the 2nd through 5th films has passed, Harve Bennet

http://trekmovie.com/2015/03/06/creative-genius-behind-treks-holy-trilogy-harve-bennett-dies/

and in one of the videos highlighted by the trek movie crew it shows how he would have done the reboot, which featured the last role of Nimoy

Talk about a sucky past couple of weeks.........

and apparently he died two days before Nimoy, although with his passing it was understandbly overwhelmed by the shock of that news.

Killed by a fall apparently, probably from climing up a ladder without anyone on the bottom to make sure it doesnt come loose, one of those things where when you dont think about it, theres probably a good chance you'll get killed by it.

much like diving boards and swiming pools.

Edited by Kavinsky