Hank Weldon

Detective_Crockett

Extremely crazy guy right? but portrayed so brilliantly, we really felt his craziness in the episode...he just flipped out at times and did randomly funny accents (''Walk this way gentleman!'') I generally think Out Where The Buses Don't Run is one of the best episodes in the show, really see the dark side of the show in this one.

''SO I GUESS YOU DON'T NEED ME HUH? I GUESS MANUEL SANG LIKE A BIRD!'' 

What did you all think of Old Hank? did you feel generally sorry for the guy or was he truly a nut? Sonny & Rico must've felt some sympathy for the guy as well.

Sonny knew he at one time was a great cop, and most likely put up with him for a few reasons. Respect for the man for who he was when he was a great cop, and the fact that he appeared to be correct when he "predicted" something, so he went along with it. The man was loosing his mind, perhaps hiding a secret like murder out of frustration, and street justice played with his mind.

What he did was wrong, and he mentally suffered for it...he had a mental breakdown.  Hank took the law into his own hands with his former partner.

Did I like the character, yeah, funny sometimes, annoying other times. It's sad to see a cop go bad for what he precieved was a wrong being made right.

Edited by COOPER&BURNETT

I'd like to add that Hank Weldon spent several years trying to bring down one bad guy.  Then the case was thrown out of court on a technicality, that would put any honest cop on the edge. 

• Like 1

I dont know why but when you said hank weldon/crazy gun guy I thought of the guy from Definitely Miami, that guy at the start with the morphing revolver that hops into that chop job of a Trans Am, but his type and acting kind of reminds me of Stacy Keech in the The Ninth Configuration

so I gotta wonder if that was an influence in the way he approached the role, as him and Keech seem similar in acting style, and I can see echos of it in that movie.

and people all break in different ways, and with a career minded one that's based on getting someone the right way, that guy became his white whale, and getting him the wrong way, and the shame that came from breaking his code broke him.

Edited by Kavinsky

That actor is on "Rizzoli and Isles" now. The Rizzoli character makes me think of Miami Vice. She's different, says different things, has Crockett style although female and has so much presence on the screen, the show might as well be called Rizzoli. My old lady likes that show.

I've seen the actor in many things over the years. He's always good. But... When I first saw this episode I was blown away. It seemed goofy at first, but I thought he was brilliant in his portrayal of a mad man. Sad story really.

indeed, the best performances are the ones that have emotonal range to them like that, the upps and the downs, regardless if the story is serious or not, and not to pimp this but it did come up in another one of the into the basement videos there

at 9:10 here, although I would watch from the start to get a better sense of the context

and as an FYI to everyone I was marathoning that show to get over the passing of Mr Nimoy there last week, as that truely got to me, or was it a few weeks ago?

plus it helped that I really havent seen alot of movies apparently lol but if anyone feels down I would recommend going through the into the basement series in general.

and ontop of that the sci fi world lost another today, but not one that mattered to me personally, Mr Terry Prachett, as I havent followed his work before, but I have heard of it.

I thought the Hank character was terrific and one of the reasons I love that episode so much.  I imagine it's not the easiest character to portray with any believability and I think he showed good range in that capacity.  C and T showed concern for him and what he must have gone through trying to put Arcaro away and they probably wondered how they would have reacted in the same situation.  Hank was def one of my favorite characters of the series and one I'll watch over and over.  

:cool:

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I thought the Hank character was terrific and one of the reasons I love that episode so much.  I imagine it's not the easiest character to portray with any believability and I think he showed good range in that capacity.  C and T showed concern for him and what he must have gone through trying to put Arcaro away and they probably wondered how they would have reacted in the same situation.  Hank was def one of my favorite characters of the series and one I'll watch over and over.  

:cool:

What she said!. :)  

In addition I though McGill was hysterical in the role, and so did the main characters as you can see PMT and DJ smiling during some of Weldon's antics, such as when he sings "I fought the law and the law won" when riding in the caddy.  So I'm guessing some of this may have been unscripted.

You could see the angst in Weldon's character throughout the episode, such as the time he was asked something and he couldn't recall, and his stammering reaction was such that you knew something was wrong with the guy. His wacky comments, impersonations. and other crazy antics to me were manifestations of his mental illness, or the insanity that was creeping up on him through the years as he had to live with the knowledge that he killed someone, likely in cold blood. He appeared utterly exhausted and beaten in the closing scenes, as someone who had lived with such guilt for so long.

You had to feel for Weldon at the end.

Edited by Sonny-Burnett
  • Like 1

Saddly, most likely, he'd spend the rest of his life in Jail, or institutionalized for the insane. Not sure what charges his partner will get. Conspiracy I suppose, as he didn't kill Tony Arcaro, (Hank did) but had knowledge of the crime, lied, or withheld information and helped Weldon build a wall over the murder victim. He would do time as well.

This one time great cop......became a criminal in the end.

This is my all-time favorite episode and, as was stated previously, it is very hard to portray such a character with any credibility.  I saw this when it originally aired and it was haunting.  I think a lot of the voices and other antics Hank displayed would probably have been part of his personality even while he was a cop.  I don't think some one has a breakdown and suddenly starts singing and doing impressions.  What we witness is the result of a slow breaking down of the boundary between what is socially acceptable in reality, and the uncontrolled impulsiveness of our inner thoughts.  Psychologists might say his effective filter was low.  Of course, the knowledge of his past actions are what caused this boundary to be blurred.  I think it was a really good portrayal, including the annoying stuff.  That's something that comes with interacting with someone whose social behaviors are unchecked.

Edited by pahonu