The US Navy has stopped by my little English town...USS Theodore Roosevelt

Chloe

The US navy is in town.

USS Theodore Roosevelt is visiting for 4 days, 5000 crew members in town on shore leave 😊

She's had to anchor outside of port as she's too big to get through the harbour mouth. She's one mighty monster of a ship and has caused major excitment in my rather provincial town ☺

FB_IMG_1427021473464_zps7oivpwy5.jpg

FB_IMG_1427021479573_zpstx9fj5nd.jpg

FB_IMG_1427117786901_zps0pmnuiog.jpg

FB_IMG_1427119760157_zpsd1b2s7ec.jpg

My house....Top left of 3Rd photo lol

Edited by Chloe
  • Like 5

hmm the deck there is an interesting mixture, it looks to be about 8 to 12 modern F35's and mostly what looks to be old F16's

Edited by Kavinsky

hmm the deck there is an interesting mixture, it looks to be about 8 to 12 modern F35's and mostly what looks to be old F16's

Actually the planes appear to be F18 Hornets and perhaps some Super Hornets, with at least two Hawkeyes, but I don't believe the F35 has yet been deployed to the surface fleet.

Nice pics Chloe!

Edited by Sonny-Burnett

Possible, but I thought the F18 was offline, as I only really remember seeing F16's on the frontline episode about the syrian and iraq war that has started up

and I thought those ones on the end were the F35's as the shape from that angle seems pretty close, although it could be the sun and the colors playing tricks on me, as they look to be a different grey from the rest of the fleet, like they're newer

plus the F35 variant for the navy doesnt have vertical take off and landing, which I would imagine would cut down on the cost quite abit.

Edited by Kavinsky

Actually the planes appear to be F18 Hornets and perhaps some Super Hornets, with at least two Hawkeyes, but I don't believe the F35 has yet been deployed to the surface fleet.

Nice pics Chloe!

You're exactly right S-B: Hornets and Super Hornets fill both the fighter and attack roles today.  They replaced the F-14 Tomcats and A-6 Intruders.  That's why they are called F/A-18s.  If you look closely, there are also a few AWACS with the giant domes on top.  Right again about the F-35 not being deployed yet and, the Navy has never deployed the F-16 from carriers, only in the aggressor role for DACT/Top Gun training. 

I have a buddy attached to the USS Carl Vinson at North Island in San Diego, its home port.  He's a Lieutenant Commander and works in logistics and supply.  He tells me all kinds of cool stuff when I see him.  The Carl Vinson is the same type of Nimitz-class carrier as the Theodore Roosevelt which operates out of Norfolk, Virginia, I believe.  I've been aboard the Vinson and it's very impressive!

You're exactly right S-B: Hornets and Super Hornets fill both the fighter and attack roles today.  They replaced the F-14 Tomcats and A-6 Intruders.  That's why they are called F/A-18s.  If you look closely, there are also a few AWACS with the giant domes on top.  Right again about the F-35 not being deployed yet and, the Navy has never deployed the F-16 from carriers, only in the aggressor role for DACT/Top Gun training. 

I have a buddy attached to the USS Carl Vinson at North Island in San Diego, its home port.  He's a Lieutenant Commander and works in logistics and supply.  He tells me all kinds of cool stuff when I see him.  The Carl Vinson is the same type of Nimitz-class carrier as the Theodore Roosevelt which operates out of Norfolk, Virginia, I believe.  I've been aboard the Vinson and it's very impressive!

Yes, I did know the F14s are gone (ala Harmon Rabb from JAG) as are the A6s (used at least as far back as Vietnam), though I'm not sure what they replaced the Viking anti-submarine planes with. Perhaps an F18 variant. The domed propeller planes are actually E2C Hawkeyes...the Navy equivalent of the AWACS. Lol...yes I also did know F16s are not adapted for carrier deployment and are primarily a USAF asset.

As to the F35 C (the carrier variant) I believe these are not scheduled for deployment until sometime in 2018 as they have had a number of issues during development and testing.

I sometimes wish I still had my subscription to Aviation Week as that was a great source for the latest in tech trends.

Cool about you being aboard the Vinson!  

These Nimitz class carriers are just jaw-dropping.  I was on a small sailboat off San Diego many years ago and we sailed past one of these beasts and I was astonished at the sheer size of these super-carriers.

It is ginormous.

As I said posted outside the harbour mouth as it's quite narrow into the naval base.

It's deliberately narrow as back in the day they would string across defences to prevent french/Spanish entering port. (Only 22 miles across the channel)

There are also submarine lanes as there was a submarine base in Gosport for many many years and we still have them stay sometimes. The ship would carve the submarine lanes up!

Edited by Chloe

Such cool pictures.  I got to tour the USS Enterprise when I was a little girl, and I'll never forget it.  It's like a floating city with so many crew members.  It's an impressive sight to see one of these grand ships.  

Thank you for sharing Chloe!

Yeah I rememember tony from NCIS years ago saying to Gibbs while he was on a carrier, are you alone Tony, I AM NEVER ALONE LOL

its a damn shame about CVN 65 though, that because of the nuclear fuel they couldnt turn her into a museum ship, as the WW2 one never got that honor, nor did this one

800px-USS_Enterprise_%28CVN-65%29_Disman

https://www.flickr.com/photos/seawavesmag/5475768760

so both the F35 and F22 are having seriously problems then? wasnt there reports from the airforce magazine that the airframes on the older planes are finally wearing out, and that by grounding the airforce, its basically killing the aircraft?

• Like 1

Damn, would love to see them come to one of my local towns, it's a naval area where I used to work at, so why shouldn't they?  :)

Yes, I did know the F14s are gone (ala Harmon Rabb from JAG) as are the A6s (used at least as far back as Vietnam), though I'm not sure what they replaced the Viking anti-submarine planes with. Perhaps an F18 variant. The domed propeller planes are actually E2C Hawkeyes...the Navy equivalent of the AWACS. Lol...yes I also did know F16s are not adapted for carrier deployment and are primarily a USAF asset.

As to the F35 C (the carrier variant) I believe these are not scheduled for deployment until sometime in 2018 as they have had a number of issues during development and testing.

I sometimes wish I still had my subscription to Aviation Week as that was a great source for the latest in tech trends.

Cool about you being aboard the Vinson!  

These Nimitz class carriers are just jaw-dropping.  I was on a small sailboat off San Diego many years ago and we sailed past one of these beasts and I was astonished at the sheer size of these super-carriers.

Hey S-B,

Are you in the San Diego area?  I'm in Long Beach, but I've done plenty of sailing, surfing and diving down that way.

its a damn shame about CVN 65 though, that because of the nuclear fuel they couldnt turn her into a museum ship, as the WW2 one never got that honor, nor did this one

800px-USS_Enterprise_%28CVN-65%29_Disman

https://www.flickr.com/photos/seawavesmag/5475768760

I had heard this when I did a little research to see where the Enterprise was now.  It's really sad as it was such a beautiful ship.  Thanks for the picture Kavinsky!  

yeah I've been following her decommission since it happened, weird thing is there was a really nice photo of her sailing into the sunset just like the enterprise A at the end of ST6 on the wiki and its since disapeared.

plus the ship that came before her, now that was a crime to scrap it.

It is ginormous.

As I said posted outside the harbour mouth as it's quite narrow into the naval base.

It's deliberately narrow as back in the day they would string across defences to prevent french/Spanish entering port. (Only 22 miles across the channel)

There are also submarine lanes as there was a submarine base in Gosport for many many years and we still have them stay sometimes. The ship would carve the submarine lanes up!

Cool ....I didn't know the maritime history of Gosport. Must be fun to watch the activity in the port and esp those submarines. :cool:

So if you're talking about French/Spanish vessels you must be referring to some centuries back, and Gosport then must also be quite old.

Hey S-B,

Are you in the San Diego area?  I'm in Long Beach, but I've done plenty of sailing, surfing and diving down that way.

No but I was in San Diego a few times on business and vacation and that time I was working for a few weeks in SD and the local GM owned a small sailboat which we sailed around the main bay/port. The bay was quite large and was fun for an evening cruise. We turned it into a sort of late night booze cruise. ;)

I did pass through Long Beach on another trip....a very nice place. Tried my hand at surfing in Newport Beach, where another friend of mine let me borrow his beach house for about 10 days. Loved that area as we did some boating, surfing (well I tried), and also came upon the wedge....the spot noted for where John Wayne injured himself surfing that ended his football days and started his acting career. Great town for fun and sightseeing.