Return to the 80s in virtual reality - NewRetroArcade

James

• Administrators

So, you knew about NewRetroWave on YouTube, well now there's a virtual arcade for your PC called NewRetroArcade.

It was made for virtual reality headset "Oculus Rift", but you don't need one to use it. 

Lying around there are cassette tapes with 80s songs and new retro songs , which you can put in a stereo to listen to, NES emulators, Mame emulators, and more.

It's pretty darn awesome.

c31NewRetroArcadex64201.png

1daNewRetroArcadex64201.png

67dNewRetroArcadex64201.png

Download for free at http://digitalcybercherries.com/

I really want to get an Oculus Rift now, just for this.

• Like 2

• Administrators

I want to redecorate the mancave after seeing this place. It could really do with a few more neons.

f4aNewRetroArcadex64201.png

90eNewRetroArcadex64201.png

A lot of detail has gone into this, you can even see fibres on the carpet.

• Like 1

• Administrators

Talk about perfection. 

I would probably never be seen again if that was my apartment.  :)

haha I know right? It's heaven! 

I was messing around with it for hours, playing all of the games. Played Frogger, I hadn't played Frogger since the 90s. 

Haha, after all I might will experience what the '80s were like. :thumbsup:

I wonder if there's a Google Cardboard version of it. Any of you have a Cardboard? I've ordered one a few months ago from China, and it's pretty damn great. It's DIY virtual reality. There's also virtual cinema and stuff like that. Sometimes I watch Miami Vice in it.

• Administrators

Haha, after all I might will experience what the '80s were like. :thumbsup:

I wonder if there's a Google Cardboard version of it. Any of you have a Cardboard? I've ordered one a few months ago from China, and it's pretty damn great. It's DIY virtual reality. There's also virtual cinema and stuff like that. Sometimes I watch Miami Vice in it.

Not unless you can access your computer screen with it.

The problem with Cardboadd is that you use your mobile phone, so it isn't proper 3D.

With VR equipment like the Oculus Rift. It's like you are really there, you even get a sense of distance, your brain thinks its real.

Essentially the experience is the same. With the right apps, it is proper 3D. :thumbsup: The image is rendered from 2 different angles.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.frag.vrrollercoaster

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.nexus.VRscene

Also, there's an app that can stream you PC screen to your phone. If you use a software that transforms your PC game into VR, and you stream that to your phone, it's essentially a DIY Oculus Rift.

Only problem is the lag. :(

Edited by croc

You can cut out the cardboard pieces yourself, but you will need 2 lenses with 42 mm focal length. But I think it's easier to buy a kit with all the things you need.

• Administrators

What are the lenses for? So you don't damage your eyes on the phone screen?

I'd rather make my own, if I'm going to buy one, I might as well just get an Oculus Rift. Only reason I don't have one now is because I'm not big on buying stuff online.

The lenses are there so your eyes can focus on the screen. Without lenses you can't focus on such a short distance.

Yes, you could buy an Oculus, but a cardboard kit costs like 10 bucks at most, probably less, whereas a Rift costs $300.