Would Miami Vice have been different ...

Spyder

... if they originally cast other actors in the roles? Michael Mann courted Nick Nolte and Jeff Bridges for the role of Crockett, but unlike today, a film star doing TV was considered a step down.

Larry Wilcox of CHiPs also auditioned for Crockett:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPEKr2UP404

Personally, I would've liked to see Nick Nolte as Crockett. He was in his grizzled "48 Hrs." phase and would have done well. As for Tubbs ...?

• Like 1

Apparently Denzel Washington was considered the part for Tubbs...now that I would have loved to have seen! I mean, I love PMT he did a fantastic job, and he IS Tubbs the one we know and love, but Denzel Washington playing him would have probably been epic! considering his later roles in Training Day and many other of his movies, and as for Crockett? yeah I would have loved to have seen Nick Nolte (fantastic actor, latest thing I saw him in was Gangster Squad) or Jeff Bridges (Love him, The Big Lebowski is a perfect movie) have a go, but nobody does it better to me than Don and Philip  :):cool:

cutters4.jpg Young Jeff!MTI3NzIxNTk1ODcwNDQxNDQy.jpg

Luchshie-filmyi-v-retsenziyah-48-Hrs-198

Edited by Detective_Crockett

Denzel as Tubbs would have been…interesting…xD

You think that in the new remake of Miami Vice they should have Denzel as Tubbs? I mean it's definitely not too late, I would love to see it, and I also think that Matthew McConaughey could be a great Crockett (if you see his performance in True Detective) that would be my true casting for a reboot of Crockett and Tubbs

But, as I have said before, I think Vice should be left alone, this new film should be set in the 80's, especially as the 80's is coming back.

• Administrators

You think that in the new remake of Miami Vice they should have Denzel as Tubbs? I mean it's definitely not too late, I would love to see it, and I also think that Matthew McConaughey could be a great Crockett (if you see his performance in True Detective) that would be my true casting for a reboot of Crockett and Tubbs

But, as I have said before, I think Vice should be left alone, this new film should be set in the 80's, especially as the 80's is coming back.

Yeah, he still looks young enough for the role. I think it'll work. 

Miami Vice 2: The Rejects

My only gripe about "recent" period pieces set in newer decades like the 80s or 90s is that they just don't get it quite right. There are always modern hairstyles, pieces of clothing, background scenery, snippets of dialogue that sneak through that say, "2015": things you'd have never seen or heard back in the decade they're trying to recreate.

Vice encapsulated the 80s because it was the 80s. Anything they do now will just be trying too hard to recapture a vibe that you can't duplicate unless you go back in a time machine.

Edited by Spyder
  • Like 1

Apparently Denzel Washington was considered the part for Tubbs...now that I would have loved to have seen! I mean, I love PMT he did a fantastic job, and he IS Tubbs the one we know and love, but Denzel Washington playing him would have probably been epic! considering his later roles in Training Day and many other of his movies, and as for Crockett? yeah I would have loved to have seen Nick Nolte (fantastic actor, latest thing I saw him in was Gangster Squad) or Jeff Bridges (Love him, The Big Lebowski is a perfect movie) have a go, but nobody does it better to me than Don and Philip  :):cool:

cutters4.jpg Young Jeff!MTI3NzIxNTk1ODcwNDQxNDQy.jpg

Luchshie-filmyi-v-retsenziyah-48-Hrs-198

That's exactly what these guys would have looked like when the show first went on the air.

My other vote for Tubbs is Billy Dee Williams. He'd have just finished Return of the Jedi and would've made a great Tubbs:

714272348_o.jpg

And as Tubbs doing his undercover Jamaican guy routine:

dba56b51e14726ebc245bfa8bc8605fd.jpg

post-4806-0-65405900-1427351958_thumb.jp

post-4806-0-93049900-1427351984_thumb.jp

Han and Lando..the original Crockett & Tubbs? :) :)

Driving a classic Ferrari Millennium Falcon, and chasing Calderone, played by Jabba the Hutt ...  :)

Gina being The Princess, and Darth Vader as Frank Hackman :)

Well speaking of Jeff Bridges....

and the only good part of GTA San Andreas, James Woods, although he looks TINY in the 308 compaired to magnum.

My only gripe about "recent" period pieces set in newer decades like the 80s or 90s is that they just don't get it quite right. There are always modern hairstyles, pieces of clothing, background scenery, snippets of dialogue that sneak through that say, "2015": things you'd have never seen or heard back in the decade they're trying to recreate.

Vice encapsulated the 80s because it was the 80s. Anything they do now will just be trying too hard to recapture a vibe that you can't duplicate unless you go back in a time machine.

Well the other thing is Digital just doesnt look like Film, as I can tell right away if its not as the focus is screwed up on most digital based productions

and that goes against a basic rule of filming, as on star trek the next generation I remember hearing or reading some production banter where I think Mike Okuda, the guy who did all the computer readouts was giving the director a hard time about making sure the stuff in the background was up to snuff,

and the director responded if there looking at that and not the actors then I'm not doing my job, and that seems to be a problem in a nutshell with most modern productions, as too much is going on beyond the foreground and everything is overloaded because of that visually, and mixed in with the focus, or lack thereof, and it kills the aility of the viewer to get engrossed if there used to the old stuff

for instance 2:47

vs blue bloods

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1kyml1g0TMk

plus the colors and everything seem too vibrant for what we think of or see as being normal, its like the new digital recording devices are falling into same problems and traps when it comes to using CGI in film production, as It takes the viewer out of the universe.

like the color correction is either off or the digital stuff is just too saturated. And keep in mind with Tom there in blue bloods, I did used to watch Las Vegas just because of him

and then when I tried to give this new show a shot, 5 to 7 years latter I cant just because of visual problems with the show.

amongst other things.

hell honestly the only production to avoid this was Star Trek as it allowed them to better light the ships in a more believable fashion, and incidentally that was one of the key reasons for killing off the enterprise D at 7:20 to begin with

only for them to switch over to a CGI ship in the next film after first contact, complete with the worse lighting of the enterprise D now on the E because of that,  Cue Homer going Doh!

although apparently according to Doug Drexler they have worked that out now with modern CGI models.

Edited by Kavinsky

Of course it would.

MV has been - and still is - a one of a kind show. Though Nolte and Washington would have been perfect for C & T characters, the show would end up in a different thing. No doubt.

I'd say more. Even changing other actors like Olmos or Saundra Santiago, would have given the show another flavor. I mean, it was such a perfect balance and harmony not even the producers were aware of, at least not until Miami Vice became MIAMI VICE. Each actor gave his/her relative character, his/her own personality, gesture, feeling, life. With time, the squad became such an entity on its own.

Johnson, Michael Thomas and Olmos are simply un-replaceable unless you want to end up with a different thing. That's one of the reasons - unlike many on this board - I don't hope for a reboot, whatever it is. Don's Crockett is just unique, as well as Olmos's Castillo etc. I'm not saying they are the best, but sure they are the only ones to pick up if you want that show, the way we know it.

Edited by Jerry Beck
  • Like 1

If Denzel Washington was considered for the role of Tubbs and the part eventually went to PMT I wonder if Mann was insistent that Tubbs be black or did it just work out that way?      

Edited by mirrorimageegamirorrim

Of course it would.

MV has been - and still is - a one of a kind show. Though Nolte and Washington would have been perfect for C & T characters, the show would end up in a different thing. No doubt.

I'd say more. Even changing other actors like Olmos or Saundra Santiago, would have given the show another flavor. I mean, it was such a perfect balance and harmony not even the producers were aware of, at least not until Miami Vice became MIAMI VICE. Each actor gave his/her relative character, his/her own personality, gesture, feeling, life. With time, the squad became such an entity on its own.

Johnson, Michael Thomas and Olmos are simply un-replaceable unless you want to end up with a different thing. That's one of the reasons - unlike many on this board - I don't hope for a reboot, whatever it is. Don's Crockett is just unique, as well as Olmos's Castillo etc. I'm not saying they are the best, but sure they are the only ones to pick up if you want that show, the way we know it.

that is true, but there is also a flipside to it, as with other franchises that have lasted very long, like Batman, Superman and star trek they all have become what I call legacy franchises.

and get reborn or changed overtime, sometimes for the better like with the Noland Batman films, sometimes for the worse, like that man of steel film.

or sometimes for the middle, like the star trek films, as the logicistics of the new ones is mind boggling to even the non viewers (I mean didnt kirk's father ever hear of Maternaty leave? and that is not the enterprise, I dont care what name you staple to that ugly tube sock, it aint my ship)

and you cant help but want to see it continue if you love it. Plus I would of have liked to have seen a series that is more like the pilot film, much like the Noland film series really, which to his credit does have a begining, a middle and end, which is something inherently that a TV series really cant do, or atleast not that much of.

so I think if a film series was done right with that kind of lineage it could work in the same vein as the trek and batman films, rather than James Bond. TV though, with the way things are, now that I dont really want, and its kind of one of the dividing things about the trek franchise.

I just dont think they could ever do anything meaningfull with it with the way writing is handled nowadays, as there blanetly afraid of having a strong message without being borderline parody, such as it is here

I mean can you imagine them writing the Drumhead? no way in hell

and this scene is right up there with the talk in Evan to me really.

or there afraid of even using proper wording and bluntness to get a punchline to work (such as with the RIcolli and isle episode for ST Patrick's day, lets go have a drink? no its lets go get drunk god damn it!, dont soft shoe the punchline damn it)

and I dont want Trek or Vice To suffer that same fate, and if you watch the early law and order shows they were great, and look at what they de-evolved into, same thing with CSI in the early seasons, as they used to be really great shows.

now I'd just rather they die and stop reaninmating a corpse, like what I think NCIS has turned into, I mean tony hasnt changed in 10 years, the kid hasnt changed either and that isnt the way you show time passing, people change, evolve in grow, if the characters dont, you might as well just call it a day, and I find tony's stupidity and his akwardness insufferable now.

Edited by Kavinsky

That's exactly the point, Kavinsky. To me, the show just can't be "franchised". Unless you are accepting to lose its own essence and nature, which can be acceptable or even desirable for a part of the audience. Just doesn't work for me.

• Like 1

Yeh Don, PMT and Olmos had that special chemistry that can't be duplicated. I'm not against reboots though, I'm sure they could get 3 actors to gel together the same way but they would be different to the Crockett, Tubbs and Castillo that we love.

• Like 2

That's exactly the point, Kavinsky. To me, the show just can't be "franchised". Unless you are accepting to lose its own essence and nature, which can be acceptable or even desirable for a part of the audience. Just doesn't work for me.

They thought about it with the silly "Young Detectives Unit" in Season 5, when they were trying to give MV its own 21 Jump Street-style spinoff. It would have never worked. I'm not interested if C&T show up for one cameo twice a season.

Yeh Don, PMT and Olmos had that special chemistry that can't be duplicated. I'm not against reboots though, I'm sure they could get 3 actors to gel together the same way but they would be different to the Crockett, Tubbs and Castillo that we love.

All you need to do is look at Michael Mann's Miami Vice movie as evidence that recasting new people in familiar roles made iconic by other actors can fail miserably.

• Like 1

yeah I think the closest we can ever come to seeing vice as it should be is probably via the vice city games, as in games as long as peoples voices dont change, or they can get good soundalikes like in the scarface one, a charachter and a time period can be timeless.

without having to worry about things aging or changing.