When Irish Eyes Are Crying (Originally a 2 hour premiere)

Detective_Crockett

So I just found out that originally the Season 3 opener when Irish Eyes Are Crying was going to be a 2 hour premiere and it would have been set in Ireland (I'm guessing after the whole Miami scenes, Crockett and Tubbs would have killed Liam Neeson in Ireland) but it couldn't be done because Don had commitments to his album Heartbeat, as much as I love this album and the music on it, I think it would have been pretty awesome to see Crockett & Tubbs in Ireland (Unless the Ireland scenes might have been filmed in L.A. xD) it would have made more of a great Season premiere as well it might have been a little less underwhelming and would have been more of a fantastic episode like the Pilot and Prodigal Son, they go out of their boundaries.

But what do you guys/gals think? would you rather it would have had the Ireland scenes? or do you prefer it the way it is? and do you like Don Johnson's album Heartbeat?

Edited by Detective_Crockett

It would have no doubt been a cool episode but Ireland always struck me as so random for Miami Vice. :birdie:  I get they wanted to be topical but the stories should have some semblance to what a vice unit would actually do and combating Irish terrorists is not one of them. Otherwise Crockett and Tubbs should of just showed up randomly in the Fauklands or something if they wanted to the ripped from the headlines stories.

I read that Michael Mann had planned to go to Tokyo and Paris for season 4 but those fell through the floor along with everything else that season. Now THOSE would be suitable Miami Vice locations and would have been awesome to see. Crockett, Tubbs and Castillo battling the Yakuza  :evil:  would have been awesome.

• Like 1

I would have preferred the 3rd season opened with "El Viejo" as was intended.  Having the Ferrari blow up caused a major continuity error for the next 6 episodes because of it...   

It would have no doubt been a cool episode but Ireland always struck me as so random for Miami Vice. :birdie:  I get they wanted to be topical but the stories should have some semblance to what a vice unit would actually do and combating Irish terrorists is not one of them. Otherwise Crockett and Tubbs should of just showed up randomly in the Fauklands or something if they wanted to the ripped from the headlines stories.

I read that Michael Mann had planned to go to Tokyo and Paris for season 4 but those fell through the floor along with everything else that season. Now THOSE would be suitable Miami Vice locations and would have been awesome to see. Crockett, Tubbs and Castillo battling the Yakuza  :evil:  would have been awesome.

Battling the Yakuza would have been a great story line. 

Oh yes, Tokyo would have been a great location for sure, it would have only worked in a couple of episodes though, and also another thing..Tokyo, Paris, wouldn't they be way out of their jurisdiction? 

Tokyo and Paris have their share of elegant culture that would have fit in nicely with the Vice Vibe. Ireland? Eh, not so much. Too grey, cloudy, moorish and pastoral for someone like Crockett. Sonny doesn't do well outside of tropical locations. 

Though, I could be wrong. Magnum, P.I. ventured to England for a 2-parter called "Deja Vu," and it was a great pair of episodes. Up until then, you'd never have figured Thomas Magnum to venture out of Hawaii, but he really blended in well with the contrast. The same could be said of C&T.

Edited by Spyder

• 7 months later...

Hello all! I'm new here. I have to admit this is a cool forum. A Miami Vice forum!! Can't beat that. I agree with one viewer that El Viejo is the best way to open Season 3. I love that episode. Its my all time favorite. The idea to film When Irish Eyes Are Crying in Ireland, does not sound like a good idea. Ireland is not a good Vice location. I wouldn't change a thing for Season 3. I think its the greatest season of Vice and I love the dark clothes, sets, mood, and visuals than any other season. 

As for Don Johnson's "Heartbeat" album. Its overrated. I personally enjoy Philip Michael Thomas "Living the Book of My Life" album. Its a lot of fun to listen too and extremely upbeat. You can listen to the album on youtube.

• Like 1

An extra hour to develop the plot and traveling to Ireland would have definitely made it a more exciting and memorable episode.  But it seems like the last place in the world to send C&T.  Perhaps this idea was a red flag that Michael Mann should have spotted, an early warning sign that Dick Wolf didn't "get" Miami Vice.  It would have been great if he had canned Wolf after a few episodes and brought back John Nicolella.

Oh boy, the Miami Vice crew in Tokyo would have been incredible!!!   emot-allears.gif

• 1 month later...

I remember sitting at the barber's & reading an article about the upcoming season premiere with Willie Nelson. Then the season started & the premiere was different. They should have stuck with the original plan for continuities sake. However, after the 1st 2 seasons, starting with a regular 1 hour episode felt like a letdown.

The best location for a season premiere? How about Miami? That's where the show worked best.

By Season 4 ratings had fell dramatically ( except the high ratings for "Like a Hurricane" ) so the reality and costs of going to Tokyo would have been difficult in 1987 :D  :xmas: