To Have And To Hold

Shill

What's the significance of the scene from the "Frankenstein" movie in "To Have And To Hold" anyone? Is it an analogy of Tubbs' relationship with Maria, or am I looking too deep into this? :confused:

• 6 years later...

What's the significance of the scene from the "Frankenstein" movie in "To Have And To Hold" anyone? Is it an analogy of Tubbs' relationship with Maria, or am I looking too deep into this? :confused:

In my opinion the significance of the scene of "Frankenstein" film was to show a father (Crockett) trying to bond with his troubled son. Now the analogy of Tubbs' relationship with Maria??? I wondered about that myself. I felt that love scene was a bit much & it was hard to imagine any significant love story between them unlike with Angelina or Val.

TubbsGirl1n&Ou7, I agree with you about the significance of the Frankenstein film scene.  

As far as Tubbs' relationship with Maria... Others here have said Crockett seemed to be constantly searching for a relationship outside his work that would be a source of happiness and a bright spot amidst the ugliness of his work environment.  Sometimes (usually!) he even seemed to jump impulsively into these relationships and that is one reason he had a hard time finding one that was really good.

I think Tubbs suffered from this same problem. To him, Maria seemed like an innocent victim who needed someone to come in and save her from her thuggish step-relatives.  He created a persona for her that he wanted to be true.  Valerie had not given him the commitment he needed; Angelina and his son (as far as he knew) were dead; maybe this girl was the one who would make him the center of her world.  He didn't look before he leaped, but jumped in with both feet because he wanted so much to find that one woman.