Why are Golden Triangle Part 1 & 2 Rated 18 in the UK?

Detective_Crockett

On my Season 1 box-set (on the Golden Triangle disc) it's rated 18, and the DVD I own containing The Pilot and Golden Triangle Part 1 & 2, it is also rated 18, sadly this makes the whole boxset rated 18.

I really don't understand...why? there are no scenes at all that would make it an 18, maybe a 15 at best? 

I would love to know why the BBCFC made these 2 episodes an 18.

Can anybody else enlighten me?

American's don't have a rating like that, unless it's the equivalent of a U.S. R rating (I think it's no one under 18 admitted without parent). 

Could it be for violence, as Castillo beats up a guy who commits suicide? General Lao Lee ordered the murder of his two grandsons who were to be strangled. There are worse stuff on MIAMI VICE than that scene. Unless I'm missing something, we don't have ratings on TV shows, unless it's just a suggested rating on TV as anyone can watch anything, unless a parent puts a block on certain rated shows.

MIAMI VICE was aired on TV before there was a way to block it (like with today's technology) from viewers, so it could be in any household in the U.S. with a TV, and an NBC affiliate.

I have no idea why it would have an 18 rating, unless it's just a suggested rating, as you don't want to show a 6 year old people shot, and drug deals, so it would be suggested for mature audiences.

I dunno.   

Edited by COOPER&BURNETT

American's don't have a rating like that, unless it's the equivalent of a U.S. R rating (I think it's no one under 18 admitted without parent). 

Could it be for violence, as Castillo beats up a guy who commits suicide? General Lao Lee ordered the murder of his two grandsons who were to be strangled. There are worse stuff on MIAMI VICE than that scene. Unless I'm missing something, we don't have ratings on TV shows, unless it's just a suggested rating on TV as anyone can watch anything, unless a parent puts a block on certain rated shows.

MIAMI VICE was aired on TV before there was a way to block it (like with today's technology) from viewers, so it could be in any household in the U.S. with a TV, and an NBC affiliate.

I have no idea why it would have an 18 rating, unless it's just a suggested rating, as you don't want to show a 6 year old people shot, and drug deals, so it would be suggested for mature audiences.

I dunno.   

Yes Coop, 18 is the UK equivalent of R. :cool:

• 4 years later...

I'm replying to this 4 years later, bumping my own thread, but I figured it out... The fight scene at the end of Golden Triangle part 1 is what makes it R-Rated (18).  :) Goodness knows why, that fight is pretty tame compared to what you see on TV nowadays. :) (such as the double ear clap Castillo gives his opponent) that were viewed dimly by the BBFC at the time, largely because they are dangerous yet easily imitated.) Honestly you see much worse violence in fights nowadays on The Avengers or something. This was very tame. 

Edited by Detective_Crockett
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1