NBC PULLS MIAMI VICE RERUNS FROM THE SYNDICATION MARKET 1988!

COOPER&BURNETT

Here's an article I don't recall posting before from my LEGENDARY HUGE MIAMI VICE SCRAPBOOK.This is a very interesting article.Eingefügtes BildEingefügtes Bild

It has been a surfire syndication hit ....but it wasn't in 1988.Also, they hadn't envisoned DVD sales in 1988. That is a MASSIVE profit for NBC!!My scrapbook is a virtual time capsule of vintage MIAMI VICE articles. I'm glad I had the presence of mind of saving them these decades.I have more articles to share. :thumbsup:

It seems to me it didn't take off in the market, because MCA's people didn't know how to sell it.When you have a deep, and dramatically 'rich' show like "Miami Vice", and the best people can remember about is "they drive fast cars" in the industry, shows me someone who never watched the show past 5 minutes, and has NO CLUE what it's about.I think the biggest thing that held back "Vice" initially was the heavy costs of music licensing, i'd bet money. Universal hit that HUGE brick wall years later when they tried to release it in the home video market.

It's ironic how the article mentions that half-hour comedies were what stations wanted, and that MV would appear extremely dated in years to come; Many comedies from the 80's have dated far worse than MV! Some are practically unwatchable nowadays!

That is SO TRUE Lar!Because of the high fashion, exotic cars, exotic homes and decor, MIAMI VICE was actually ahead of the game, and it's one of the few shows that actually LOOKS current!The results that they were fearing turned out to actually be the opposite!It looks fresh!

That is SO TRUE Lar!Because of the high fashion' date=' exotic cars, exotic homes and decor, MIAMI VICE was actually ahead of the game, and it's one of the few shows that actually LOOKS current!The results that they were fearing turned out to actually be the opposite!It looks fresh![/quote']Absolutely. Some of the more out-there fashions (mainly on the women) have dated, but for the most part, the show itself still plays incredible; dazzling, cinematic, involving. Even the pastels still look cool (though worn S1/S2 style today might not fly). MV's leagues better than any other 80's cop/action show. Compare MV to Hunter (which I do like), it's no contest! It's been pointed out numerous times, MV's more like a 1-hour movie than a 1-hour TV show, and IMO that hasn't diminshed with time.

Lar' date=' you are definitely correct. But I didn't know Miami Vice was losing interest in 1988![/quote']Afraid so. The 1988-1989 season (S5) was the lowest rated, and according to an article found elsewhere in C&B's Scrapbook section, MV was even put on hiatus for a time!However, keep in mind low ratings don't always indicate low quality. In MV's case, the quality had, IMO, rebounded quite well from S4. But, that's another discussion.

• 2 years later...
  • 4 months later...
Lar' date=' you are definitely correct. But I didn't know Miami Vice was losing interest in 1988![/quote']MV lost interest in 1987 to be honost. :cry:

The New Dark AgeThose critics were certainly cynical. Maybe in a year you could've had Fresh Prince Vice or in three years Grunge Vice. Little did they know that at the end of the first decade of the new millenium, we were going to be stuck in a new dark age. Little has changed since the end of the '90s. Here's a great South Park episode that captures my cynicism: http://www.southparkstudios.com/full-episodes/s15e07-youre-getting-old

well as a rule a shows that are an instant hit generally start to loose interest and views around the third year of production and then it goes on for about 2 or 3 more years unless you seriously change the status quo and flip everything upside down like they just did with NCIS los angeles which I'm now watching instead of the normal NCIS as I'm just tired of the original now and tony and the guy he always picks on get on my nerves.mind you we're talking about in the 1980's pre internet age here, hell I mean the CSI series has been going on for damn near a decade and a half it feels like so vice if it was done now probably could have lasted double what it did today easily as they constantly changed everything over its five year lifespan from the feel of it.basically change is good when its done properly like in S3 and S5, if its not then you get stuff like missing hours, although I think the point it started to go down was right after Zito's death in S3 as he left a noticeable hole in the cast and I always liked him and Switek working together as their real friendship transfered to the camera well.plus in a way the full cast of vice with zito was not unlike the key crew of the enterprise in the original series and that always felt like a good combination for the show and each and everyone of them was perfect for their respective roles in both shows and you could always look forward to their banter regarless if the episode was laughably bad

AMEN' date=' I Love Season 5, AMEN!:clap::cheers:[/quote']Here here. I love season 5, and the 4 seasons before it. Sort of like a child, as much as I may try at times, I just can't pick a favourite. I have my favourite episodes but they are spread over all 5 seasons.

I can't see either one of them here in Canada either?Cool Article Coop and yes for sure they could not envision the DVD market for the future. This must be a boom for the studio as we can see there is a new generation of fans from the release of the dvd's