IS .WS/ WRONG? SMUGGLER'S BLUES SONG.

COOPER&BURNETT

Are we wrong about SMUGGLER'S BLUES being written FOR Miami Vice?This Newspaper clip seems to suggest otherwise.It states that the song itself INSPIRED the episode, not written for. It states he NOW has written a song for the show.This is an interesting find straight from the archives of the SCRAPBOOK.Eingefügtes Bild

so glenn frey is indirectly responsible for the movie, as well--right? :)he just went down a notch for me :)

so glenn frey is indirectly responsible for the movie' date=' as well--right? :)he just went down a notch for me :)[/quote']:D Good one nofretz.

So' date=' the Associated Press is wrong?[/quote']I'm confused. The clipping and the .ws thread are saying the same thing. There was a healthy debate about it, sure, but we came up with the right answer. That the song came before the ep. My head hurts.

Guest The Talk

I'd say the article is not wrong.1. Smuggler's Blues existed already and the show was written around it.Quote from Tom71's Epiguide in the glossary: "Michael Mann had heard the song Smuggler's blues while driving his car and asked the late Pinero, Miguel (the actor of "Calderone"), who also was a part time writer and ex-drug seller to write an episode around it"2. Obviously after that he wrote "You Belong to the City" for the show.

Perhaps were right. Could there be anything we are overlooking here, or is it just a wrong assumption by the Associated Press. They are not always correct.Could the song have been released on a "b" side of a 45 or could there have a been a radio only promo, a video only song or advanced copy that was heard first, then the story written around it, or could it simply be they are wrong and we are correct.

"Michael Mann had heard the song Smuggler's blues while driving his car and asked the late [URL="http://miami-vice.ws/vbglossar.php?do=showentry&item=Pinero%2C+Miguel"">

Pinero' date=' Miguel[/url'] (the actor of "Calderone"), who also was a part time writer and ex-drug seller to write an episode around it"2. Obviously after that he wrote "You Belong to the City" for the show.

The article would seem to back up that story!This could be evidence that the article IS correct!!I figured this could be a VERY interesting find to post!

of course the article is right. The Frey album "Allnighter" incl. Smuggler´s Blues was released in summer 84 and the ep inspired by the song was shot in December84/January85. In between was everything else - MM heard it and Pinero wrote it.BTW: if anyone wonders why it took so long to shoot this ep compared to other episodes: the long time span was not due to travelling to Puerto Rico, but due to the fact that half the crew got ill and shooting had to be postponed. Originally, the ep was supposed to be filmed entirely before Christmas.