MIAMI VICE TO L.A.???

COOPER&BURNETT

This is an article that tackles NBC's "plans" to move MIAMI VICE to L.A. to save money.I have more articles on this subject.Eingefügtes Bild

Spring 1986, geez, that's still S2. I guess NBC figured MV would remain phenomenally popular S3+ and wanted to minimize what they spent; Spend less, make more, I guess.They would have been better off leaving it in the 10 PM time slot.

• Administrators

Was that also part of Don wanting a much higher salary and threatening to walk off the show if he didn't get it?I seem to recall they were going to replace him with Mark Harmen???

• Administrators

Yes, as Tom said, it was between seasons 2 & 3. They wanted to move filming to L.A. to save money. "N.Y.P.D. Blue" was always shot in L.A. but several times a year they would travel to New York to shoot some footage. Location shooting is expensive and at the time a single episode of Vice cost just over a million to make, big bucks for the 80's! I don't know who finally made Universal realize that the only thing Miami & L.A. had in common was palm trees but I'm certainly glad they fought to stay in Miami and won!The Mark Harmon rumor also started when Don didn't show up for work at the beginning of season 3. When questioned about it Harmon said it was news to him, he had never heard a thing about it and was never even asked.

Nope. It's more to film in MIAMI, where they have to ship the film to L.A. to process it, edit it, and so the sound work, sound effects, foly, sound editing, mixing, etc. they didn't have a place there capable to do that. Then there's writing scripts, and re-writes, etc. (this was before scanning on a computer, or faxing something existed.)That's shipping all that back and forth across the whole country coast to coast! MUCH more to film in MIAMI.

If they didn't have the right camera set ups or equipment right there, then, yup, it too would have to be sent.Even sending the rough scenes from L.A. to NEW YORK for JAN HAMMER to compose and record at his home studio in NEW YORK, THEN send back to L.A. would take time and money. (They didn't have cd's in those days, or digital tape, so it went on reel to reel most likely.)

If they didn't have the right camera set ups or equipment right there' date=' then, yup, it too would have to be sent.Even sending the rough scenes from L.A. to NEW YORK for JAN HAMMER to compose and record at his home studio in NEW YORK, THEN send back to L.A. would take time and money. (They didn't have cd's in those days, or digital tape, so it went on reel to reel most likely.)[/quote']I was AMAZED to find out that Jan Hammer created masterpieces from his home.

A one man writer, composer, performer, programer. He also mixed his own music. He owned all the equipment in his studio, and actually took a film like SECRET ADMIRER when he knew he could buy more equipment that he wanted.What you hear in the MIAMI VICE episodes is what he did ALL BY HIMSELF. NOBODY was allowed to mess with his music. Nobody.He did it all!

This is an article that tackles NBC's "plans" to move MIAMI VICE to L.A. to save money.I have more articles on this subject.Eingefügtes Bild

Never knew that Coop. Thanks for sharing.

Your welcome Pal. I'm glad you like these articles. I post them for great members like you to enjoy!

• 2 years later...

I always wondered if this was an empty threat, or was it a real threat?I also wonder if in the long run, now in the year 2011, have they ever made their money back from the more than 1 million an episode they spent. They spend WELL over 100 million on episodes back then. Most likely closer to 120 million over five years.