Instead of Caitlin Davies, what if Billy Crockett was killed in "Deliver Us From Evil"?

Vice Immersion

After watching Season 5's "To Have and To Hold", seeing Caroline and Billy's last appearances on Miami Vice, and how Sonny subtly referred to his tumultuous year (being Sonny Burnett and the legal and psychological aftermath from it) with Castillo, I was wondering what direction would the show have taken if his son Billy was killed by Frank Hackman instead of his wife Caitlin Davies.

Would Sonny's approach toward killing Hackman be filled with even more rage and revenge?  Would Sonny's descent into Burnett be steeper?  How would Caitlin reacted in being informed by OCB that he was becoming Burnett, and would she ever encounter him as Burnett?  How would the dynamics have changed between Caroline, Sonny, and Caitlin?  Would Caroline have never forgiven Sonny since not only Sonny's work carried into his private life with permanent repercussions, but since he also released Hackman earlier?  

Would it have been an interesting direction for the series to have gone into?  Would any of you have still enjoyed the series then, or would it be the final straw that would make the show just too irreversibly depressing to enjoy anymore since Crockett lost his only child?

...Plus, I'm also remembering Crockett's "to keep the world safe for children" response from "Line of Fire", and how that would factor into the situation if his own son was killed.  It would probably be one of the lowest despondency thoughts for Crockett with him thinking, "How can I keep the world safe for children, if I can't even protect my own?  ...Especially with me getting Hackman free..."

Edited by Vice Immersion
  • Like 2

I think it would have moved Vice into position to herald the newer era of crime shows that came not long after. (Keeping in mind that Vice was being co-helmed by Dick Wolf of Law & Order fame, so a darker page was well within their grasp.)

• 3 years later...

I still would have enjoyed the show.  It wouldn't affect my feelings too much because frankly we as the audience were never that invested in Billy to start with.  Caitlin had several eps worth of build up for us to get close to.  Now if they would have taken that kind of time with Billy i.e. several eps worth of Sonny reconnecting with him, taking him to football practice etc. It could have been very effective.  You'd also have the blame issue from Sonny's ex and her new husband too.

Yes I think there would be more fire in Sonny's vengeance towards Hackman.  I can see the team actively having to hold Crockett back from taking action, which they didn't have to do much of in Caitlin's case.  In any case, that would be the absolute end of him and Caroline in all senses.

Once Sonny got his memories back it would be a moral dilemma for Caitlyn to take him back or not.  Maybe it'd be a conditional thing like he has to go thru a revolutionary new therapy process for her to trust him again, and the department too.  Showing more of that atonement would certainly be more realistic than what they did.  Especially if they expect this guy who had an identity problem and a psychotic break to go BACK UNDERCOVER.  And then teach undercover work?  Anyway I always felt they missed an opportunity there to delve into Sonny's psyche and issues of identity and duality.  This story could go into that more.

old, but very good subject. i think making such thing happening would have had no interest except making the public being upset. i remember when i learnt what some mafiosi did to some cops kids during the maxi trial of 86/87. i was disgusted. and this is when my hate for the mafia became really strong. i think on an entertainment it would have had no interest. it would have just been something heavy to digest

Edited by jpm1

1 hour ago, vicegirl85 said:

Honestly I think in real life Crockett would have gone after Hackman and then would have committed suicide.

I can't really see Sonny doing himself in.  I can see him becoming a hermit and shutting out his old life though.

• Like 1