if not Vice then who?

Victor

if not Vice what other TV show you could describe now in title "that TV show was the face of the 80s" ?what would your prefer second pick after Vice.

This is an easy question to answer.  My response is Magnum P.I.  That was another show I watched every week. That show had its own style.  It was fun and cool.  It had rocking theme music.  The four main characters worked wonderfully together.  Yes, that is my response and I am sticking to it.

• Like 1

I loved Magnum, P.I.!  but how about Dallas?

You Vicegirl85 are so correct.  I was watching Dallas from the very first episode.  That is why it was a tough call for me because I was a devoted Dallas fan.  Magnum is giving the edge because of the clothes and exotic location. But I use to watch Miami Vice then switch channels to see Dallas.

• Like 1

• Administrators

I loved Magnum P.I. before I got into Miami Vice, so I'd pick that also. 

My dream car was a Ferrari 308 Targa before it was the Daytona. :)

Tony D  you are bringing back great memories of 80s television.  I watched the three shows you listed, along with The Fall Guy, Simon and Simon, and another big favorite of mine Remington Steele.  I loved how strong a character Stephanie Zimbalist portrayed as Laura Holt.  And I had a huge crush on her.

• Like 1

Hey Vicefan7777......some other shows I watched faithfully...not from the 80's, though were "Ironside", "Walker, Texas Ranger", Macguyver, & Nash Bridges.

• Like 1

Magnum PI fan here, watched every week, but haven't seen a single episode since the 80's.  I also remember a show called "Riptide" I watched a bit.

Edited by DeepCover333

• Administrators

Hey Vicefan7777......some other shows I watched faithfully...not from the 80's, though were "Ironside", "Walker, Texas Ranger", Macguyver, & Nash Bridges.

MacGyver started in 1985.   :thumbsup:

Magnum P.I. and Murder She Wrote, I watch alot of....Seen an episode of the a team and well no..... I think it was the whole Mr.T thing that put me off....

• Like 1

I watch on a regular basis "Magnum, P.I." and the original "Hawaii Five-O." I grew up on those two shows and Vice, and I am convinced that is where my love of palm trees and subsequently my side business of owning a palm tree nursery originated. I also like watching certain movies like the 80s remake of "Scarface" since it is set in Miami during the 1980s. Oh, and I watch "Burn Notice" on dvd again too.

Edited by Scot from S.C.
  • Like 3

• 1 month later...

MacGyver was from the 80ies, from 1985 through 1992. Back in the day I was a huge fan of Knight Rider, MacGyver and Miami Vice. I did watch Dallas too with my mom since I could stay up late. Same thing with Miami Vice. I was like 10 years old in '85.

MacGyver was from the 80ies, from 1985 through 1992. Back in the day I was a huge fan of Knight Rider, MacGyver and Miami Vice. I did watch Dallas too with my mom since I could stay up late. Same thing with Miami Vice. I was like 10 years old in '85.

You were 10 and I was 24.  I could've been your big brother as we kicked back on Friday nights watching Vice together.  I remember Friday night dates would happen after watching the current episode. Great memories. 

Never been a fan of TV shows, I used to spend my time on the streets much more than in my living room LOL!!

Vice's been an exception, maybe the only TV show I followed. Here's explained why.

I watched a bit of McGyver cause I'm a bit like him in "customizing" things and building tools with whatever. I watched a bit of Magnum, I loved the 308 of course, and I also used to listen to the theme from Taxi (Bob James). After the music ended I turned off the TV and went out. Never seen a single episode...

PS Vicefan777, born 1961 right? Great year, pal ;-)

• Like 1

Hmm the first ones that come to mind are the A Team and Knight Rider, although I think they only aimed to reach syndication with those and call it quits

and it would explain why all the shows done by the creator of the A team, Stephan J Cannal, all seemed to last anywhere from 1 to 4 years and then disapear.

Drama wise I'm not sure, maybe Mattlock?

with Murder She Wrote I just cant get over how much she looks like the Grandmother and tweety at the same time from the old tweety bird cartoons

the rest that I enjoy from the era are all british in some form or another that came over the wire via PBS, and often hosted by Diana Rigg.

Edited by Kavinsky

• 2 weeks later...

A few months ago Rolling Stone did a piece on 80's TV shows, Vice was #2 to Cheers. http://www.rollingstone.com/tv/lists/readers-poll-the-10-best-tv-shows-of-the-1980s-20150318

Other shows like Cheers or Magnum could have been as successful in the 70's or the 90's. They were popular shows that aired in the 80's. But Vice WAS the 80's. 

As the decade drew to a close and the flash and dash of the 80's waned to the drab of the 90's so did the show. What made it successful was what led to it's downfall. That's what made the show great. It was and always be a product of the excess of the 80's. And what I believe one of the best, if not the best period TV shows of all time.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 8 years later...

The A-Team, Knight Rider and The Dukes of Hazard have a special place in my heart. The Dukes was the first live action show I ever saw on TV. I must have been 3 or 4 years of age when i watched it on a black and white tv that had no remote. You had to walk up to the tv set for the volume, switch station etc.. :)

A couple of years later I became aware of Knight Rider and the A-Team. I used to like similar shows that were broadcasted back to back the aforementioned series, such as Street Hawk and  Automan.

Edited by sdiegolo78

Cheers was already mentioned, so I have to give a shout-out to The Golden Girls, Family Ties, and, sadly, The Cosby Show.  Don't forget the Vice-contemporary L.A. Law (their theme song alone may be the most 80's thing ever) and predecessor Hill Street Blues as well.

Edited by NeonHumidity