"Those are designer shorts..." (Lombard)

CharlieGlide

For the umpteenth time, I was watching Lombard last night.  Such a brilliant episode for so many reasons.

I've always loved that line said by that host (or whatever he is) at harbor side restaurant Lombard is eating lobster in ("hello in the flowers").

I doubt I'm the only one.  It said right after Switek and Zito are denied entry into the restaurant and Switek says, "What about that guy?  He's wearing shorts!"

What's funny is what led me to put that episode on in the first place, and I'm sure all here can understand:  I recently rediscovered a U2 song called "Surrender."  I thought I heard some female backing vocals and upon research, sure enough there was.  Sung by the females in Kid Creole & the Coconuts (another Vice reference, of course!).

I texted the info to my friend who listed the 'only' U2 songs he likes, which included "Wire."  I texted back that it was used in Vice.  I quickly learned it was the last song used (non-Hammer composed) used in Season 1.

So, I had to see the scene again...but decided to watch the entire episode.

Including the line "Those are designer shorts."

• Like 3

What about that clown? He's wearing shorts. "There....designer shorts".  -Classic!

Gotta love it!! :D

Edited by COOPER&BURNETT
  • Like 2

Ya I've always thought  "Those are designer shorts" was a funny line.  I like to wear old cut-off camo shorts most of the time and when someone mentions them I use that line.  Never fails to get a laugh.

• Like 1

If you go back and watch that scene, it's interesting how it's shot and edited.  I didn't really think about until I watched the scene again.  If I recall, there's the shot of Switek and Zito in the restaurant, then this sort of wide shot with the interior of the dining room.  It's quick, like two seconds, then it goes closer on Lombard's table.  It just shows you how much work they went to on the show to make sure everything was established correctly.  Three different camera set-ups in the space of about 20 seconds of edited episode time.  And that's not including the set-ups for the conversation of Lombard with his two table mates.  

Really cool to break that down upon viewing.  You can see this lack of detail in the lesser episodes.  Either inexperienced directors, poor editing choices, or the story/script ultimately just didn't work.

You can see some sloppiness in Cool Runnin'.  

• Like 2