Miami Vice References in Movies and Television Shows

summer84

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gjYK2q4UsUs

Funny, insulting or just a bad parody........  I would say a little bit of both!

I also remember there was a reference in the movie "Showtime" with Eddie Murphy and Robert De Niro.

And with Adam Sandler in "Wedding Singer," where a guy was dressed as Sonny Crockett and the Miami Vice theme song playing in his car. :)

• Like 4

Funny, insulting or just a bad parody........  I would say a little bit of both!

I also remember there was a reference in the movie "Showtime" with Eddie Murphy and Robert De Niro.

And with Adam Sandler in "Wedding Singer," where a guy was dressed as Sonny Crockett and the Miami Vice theme song playing in his car. :)

The Sopranos clip at the end is somewhat interesting for the fact that Steve Buscemi actually appeared in the "El Viejo" epsiode of Miami Vice!

• Like 2

Golden Girls had an ep once that featured a character dressed like Crockett.  Only barely saw it once and can't remember if it was actually supposed to be Crockett.  OK, tried to edit this a couple of times but wouldn't take my edits.  I checked my friend Google and found this Wiki on Golden Girls:  http://goldengirls.wikia.com/wiki/Ed_Collins

Edited by vicegirl85
  • Like 3

• Administrators

Fresh Prince, Friends, and The Soprano's

Dexter: (at 2:55)

+ A bonus from Dexter, this black Daytona in the background.

2-5.jpg

There are actually quite a few references in Dexter, maybe next time I rewatch the series I'll put together a compilation. 

• Like 2

This last one reminds me of more than one member on this board LOL!

Sure it's a bit of insulting and bad parody, but what I notice most is how much the fashion has changed since the 80s.

While you could have actors, singers, pop stars and common pepole dressed like that back then, now those colors, suits and everything make whoever look like a clown.

You don't fully realize that while watching MV eps, cause everything is aligned with its own time. But seeing guys in white & pink or flashy colors acting into a contemporary set, just make them look ridiculous.

Don't get me wrong, I still love that era and everything related, I still have some stuff I used to wear back then. I just find it clashing with this contemporary world. It used to be much easier and positive life: fashion, cinema, music and everything just reflected this. As much as what we have now reflects our present time.

• Like 3

This last one reminds me of more than one member on this board LOL!

Sure it's a bit of insulting and bad parody, but what I notice most is how much the fashion has changed since the 80s.

While you could have actors, singers, pop stars and common pepole dressed like that back then, now those colors, suits and everything make whoever look like a clown.

You don't fully realize that while watching MV eps, cause everything is aligned with its own time. But seeing guys in white & pink or flashy colors acting into a contemporary set, just make them look ridiculous.

Don't get me wrong, I still love that era and everything related, I still have some stuff I used to wear back then. I just find it clashing with this contemporary world. It used to be much easier and positive life: fashion, cinema, music and everything just reflected this. As much as what we have now reflects our present time.

After reading your post, I feel it's sad but true. ;(

The jacket & shirt that I'm wearing in my avatar looks cool to me, but when I'm at a party or dance.... it looks like I'm wearing a costume, since it is so different from everyone else.

I don't like the present look, eg. - guys with a suit jacket. a plaid shirt & a tie and jeans, :eek: ..........so I will still wear the Crockett style with maybe more subdued colors. :cool:  :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Tony - you ARE definitely cool in your picture. Period. You wear a white blazer and a yellow shirt, both items are still made and sold in the stores.

As you know, that's been my style for many years, even after the vibe was gone. I've been holding back the years for too long, man, keeping my long "Season 5" blonde hair, wearing pastel suits, Armani blazers and wayfarers, cruising the streets on my fourth-hand roadster, listening to the music I still felt "contemporary". I was young, say 25 to 35.

So I fully understand your feelings, pal. I felt sad while writing my post, but I can't escape facing the reality. I came to a point I felt - as you said - like wearing a costume. I cut my hair, sold or gave away my blazers and tried to find a style I like in the present market/fashion. That's been more and more important for me with growing/aging, to the point my present look doesn't resemble anything of Vice. That's just me, I'm not criticizing the ones who still live the style as in the 80s, I really like that instead. When I see the many Crocketts in their twenties here talking about blazers, glasses, music and everything 80s, I think it's a blessing.

Be proud of your Vice look, pal. Being ourseves and following our feelings is what really matters in the end.

JB

Edited by Jerry Beck
  • Like 5

I wouldn't say these references are anything but bad parody. A good parody should have more substance, not just dressing up one of its characters into a white suit for 15 seconds and dropping a single line connected to the subject, namely MV. There are many ways to make a good parody of MV but I've yet to see one done with some thought.

On the topic of style, this is an interesting discussion, Tony and Jerry. Fashion has indeed changed since the 80's, it almost seems like it has shifted to another plane of existence entirely. The reality is indeed different, people's lifestyle has changed over a relatively short period of time due to technology and other changes in society and pop culture. That being said, I firmly believe the MV fashion style is a classic and therefore it's timeless. The essence of the MV fashion style is not the white suit or the pink pants - in my mind it is the realization that one can and probably should dress in a good and presentable way, even when they are about to get into a firefight. MV sets high standards for men and their fashion choices - of course, it's easy to put on some jeans and a t-shirt and leave it at that. But MV makes one realize how much better it'd be if we all actually put some thought into our daily wear. For instance, just by watching MV we can start to grasp the idea behind mixing and matching colors or different pieces of clothing and work from there to improve our daily outfits. By observing Crockett and Tubbs we can get ideas about certain clothing combinations that have always seemed outlandish but can actually work quite well. Since I started watching MV, I have improved my clothing habits immensely. I do own a white suit now, but I don't wear it every day, as that is not practical on cold or rainy days. However, I do try to wear a blazer or a suit jacket as much as possible whenever I go out of the house. I try to mix it well with some quality linen/cotton/wool pants instead of the jeans which would have been my default choice a few months ago. I try to style my hair somewhat instead of letting it find its own way, as I used to do. Not to mention that I even started working out more than I did before.

What I have done to my look in the past months has been inspired almost entirely by MV. While I still have a lot of work in front of me, I already see that people generally receive my efforts quite well. Clerks and shopkeepers are much more likely to be polite when dealing with me. Co-students at the university express an appreciation for my style and fashion choice. Today was a relatively warm day with clear skies and immediately I knew I wanted to wear my white suit. So I did - people did notice me more and maybe part of them thought I was being a joker or something. But I received so many positive comments and compliments, especially from the ladies, that I felt everything was more than justified. What's more, I don't even seem to be interested in wearing quality clothes in order to impress other people anymore - I find I want to wear them so that I can feel better about myself, even if no one else could be watching.

Sorry for the long post. In summary, what I wanted to say is that although parts of the MV style may look outlandish in today's world, the essence of MV fashion is not dead. It's here to stay, as more and more younger people discover both this great show and the many possibilities that are available in today's fashion, as long as one is mindful of the way they look and not afraid to experiment with various items, even if they can't be found in Average Joe's wardrobe. No one should feel ashamed for being dressed better than their peers - it should be up to them to catch up with us, not the other way around. :cool:

• Like 6

"... The essence of the MV fashion style is not the white suit or the pink pants - in my mind it is the realization that one can and probably should dress in a good and presentable way, even when they are about to get into a firefight..."

Perfect words.

• Like 2

Absolutely this:

MV sets high standards for men and their fashion choices . . . For instance, just by watching MV we can start to grasp the idea behind mixing and matching colors or different pieces of clothing and work from there to improve our daily outfits. By observing Crockett and Tubbs we can get ideas about certain clothing combinations that have always seemed outlandish but can actually work quite well

I must add that Season 3's style works excellently in a contemporary (urban) setting. 

But to answer the topic, very much off the top of my head, so far I've seen at least two references to Miami Vice made on the German program P.S. Profis.

Edited by Touch of Class
  • Like 2

• Administrators

Good or bad the T-shirt and suit jacket has survived the test of time. It's almost become so common that you don't even notice it.  I've posted this several times over the years but back in the 80's when Vice was at it's peak, the T-shirt / jacket look became so popular that many of the upscale restaurants posted a sign at the door saying "No Miami Vice"

• Like 1

No one should feel ashamed for being dressed better than their peers - it should be up to them to catch up with us, not the other way around. :cool:

Bravo!!  This is so true.  I admit when I started going back to my youth by wearing the Vice look about 5 years ago I was self conscious about what others would think.  Then the more I wore the clothes the better I felt about the style.  I now stand tall and proud in a sea of others wearing dull grey, blue and black.  I think to myself, "People add some color to your life.  You might like it".

• Like 4

The Sopranos clip at the end is somewhat interesting for the fact that Steve Buscemi actually appeared in the "El Viejo" epsiode of Miami Vice!

and he still looked like a Vampire then I mean Yeash, Talk about Nosferatu!

2530192929_289a630d1a_z.jpg?zz=1

gallery_471_5_98153.jpg

gallery_471_5_73294.jpg

I half expect him to say I ate his liver with flava beans for god sakes.

I do find it rather funny that Jeffery looks just like Lance, Not Tubbs in that clip though, maybe that's where Rockstar got the idea for his outfit, as its just about dead on with it

but lets see these guys wear a suit coat in sunny florida and not roll up their sleaves or open their shirts abit plus it looks like they're indivertantly parodying the very late 70's really with the way that is done

like everybody and everything dressed like Carlito from Carlitos way back in 79' apparently, along with Donnie Brasco, yet you never see them parody what you see in that phone thing there, I mean yeash.

also "cant believe how stupid we used to look" screw you friends lol you chose the wrong colors, so dont blame the tv show for it lol

as once fashion disolves, all your left with is style, and if you dont got no style, well dont blame your influence for it lol

Edited by Kavinsky
  • Like 2

Wow, talk about driving while distracted by the phone!  Early on in the clip drivers were shown constantly looking away from the road to reach for the phone, look at the number keypad, pull the phone and cord across their body, etc.  One is doing all of this while it's raining.

To get back on-topic:  LOL, the 1979 fashions were awful from the vantage of 2015!

Bravo!!  This is so true.  I admit when I started going back to my youth by wearing the Vice look about 5 years ago I was self conscious about what others would think.  Then the more I wore the clothes the better I felt about the style.  I now stand tall and proud in a sea of others wearing dull grey, blue and black.  I think to myself, "People add some color to your life.  You might like it".

Good for you, Vicefan!  Stand proud & tall.......you have nothing to be ashamed of.....the guys with the torn, dirty looking jeans, should be ashamed.....especially if they fall below their hips!  :o

• Like 2

and he still looked like a Vampire then I mean Yeash, Talk about Nosferatu!

2530192929_289a630d1a_z.jpg?zz=1

gallery_471_5_98153.jpg

gallery_471_5_73294.jpg

I half expect him to say I ate his liver with flava beans for god sakes.

I do find it rather funny that Jeffery looks just like Lance, Not Tubbs in that clip though, maybe that's where Rockstar got the idea for his outfit, as its just about dead on with it

but lets see these guys wear a suit coat in sunny florida and not roll up their sleaves or open their shirts abit plus it looks like they're indivertantly parodying the very late 70's really with the way that is done

like everybody and everything dressed like Carlito from Carlitos way back in 79' apparently, along with Donnie Brasco, yet you never see them parody what you see in that phone thing there, I mean yeash.

also "cant believe how stupid we used to look" screw you friends lol you chose the wrong colors, so dont blame the tv show for it lol

as once fashion disolves, all your left with is style, and if you dont got no style, well dont blame your influence for it lol

I enjoyed the mobile phone video........I worked for AT&T & installed the Central office equipment during the '60s to the '90s.  I was always proud of the quality control they instilled in us. When we finished a job it was done right!  :done:  :thumbsup:

Hey Kavinsky thanks for posting that fabulous old video on phones!!!

I still have my old Motorola bag phone the old 14 lb leather bag with a handset, batttery and the phone in the bag. That was on the old analogue network before they changed to digital in 1999.

Do you remember the old Batman series from 1966? I loved the old "Batphone" they had in the Batmobile.

Hmm I wonder if its possible to retrofit those old phones for modern tech, and I found that video when trying to track down just what Phone they had in the cars on the show

as it looked like it was actually functional and the transmitter was under the passenger seat of the daytona, hell I wonder if there was any sponsor for the show like that just like it was with the boats, as that was a pretty expensive unit back then.

• 6 years later...
On 10/13/2015 at 1:59 AM, vicegirl85 said:

Golden Girls had an ep once that featured a character dressed like Crockett.  Only barely saw it once and can't remember if it was actually supposed to be Crockett.  OK, tried to edit this a couple of times but wouldn't take my edits.  I checked my friend Google and found this Wiki on Golden Girls:  http://goldengirls.wikia.com/wiki/Ed_Collins

It's this: https://youtu.be/5ZSCV2RCNV4 :)

Edited by summer84
  • Like 1