Back to the Future day.

James

• Administrators

Happy Back to the Future day!

As of today, we are officially living in the future, as today marks the day that Marty travels to in part 2. So I think that means that after today Marty is travelling to the past. 

vlcsnap-2015-10-21-12h59m28s30.png

I'm going to celebrate by marathon-ing the whole trilogy, as this day will only happen once. 

It's really amazing how time has flown, I was probably 4 or 5 when I first saw the movie over 15 years ago, never thinking about the fact that 2015 is in our lifetime. Now we're surpassing the "future". It's heavy.

Still don't have my hoverboard. :(

• Like 2

There's a screening here at the theater Back to the Future 1 and 2 back to back today so I might go.

I guess 3 wasn't good enough to be included :(  

• Administrators

There's a screening here at the theater Back to the Future 1 and 2 back to back today so I might go.

I guess 3 wasn't good enough to be included :(  

Or they didn't think people would sit there for 5 hours. :)

I saw the first chapter in the theaters when it came out, I was 24 and, what can I say... it was 1985, it says it all.

2015 seemed so far back then and, as bad as I tought it would have been - well, it's so much worse...

I'm going to join James in this celebration, except I won't watch the part III.

I always felt it like pure speculation, no magic. It always happens when you stretch a good thing to make it last longer than its natural lifetime, just to raise some cash.
The first chapter was a nice, innovative, smart, positive movie, perfectly fit in its own time. After that, what usually happens is: some exaggeration is added, several elements are altered and the final result is something real weird if compared with the original.

Everything is beautiful at its birth. Then - usually - gets worse.

After all didn't that happend with a famous TV cop show?

Edited by Jerry Beck
  • Like 2

GREAT SCOTT! I missed the actual day! Oh well, not a problem, I'll just fire up Mr. Fusion, and go back a few hours to the actual day. No problem!

• Like 2

• Administrators

GREAT SCOTT! I missed the actual day! Oh well, not a problem, I'll just fire up Mr. Fusion, and go back a few hours to the actual day. No problem!

image.jpg

Saw the first 2 in a theater yesterday.

What can I say... I still love the first one. Such a nice, beautiful movie. I'd say naive here and there, but as a quality.

What jumped out to me after 30 years, is the huge difference between the original and the other two chapters. What I wrote above about the third, well, applies for the second too.

The speculation done with the "sequels" is blatant, to say the least. While in the original movie we have a real nice, well crafted, inspired story, well defined characters, amazing soundtrack & songs, outstanding dialogues and lots of great funny ideas,  the other two seem to scream: "Hey guys, it worked!  Let's squeeze it to dead!"

It's not a case the sequels (II & III) were shot at the same time. Maximize the profit and tease the audience with a "non closing" ending. But what's the price in terms of quality?

Everything is taken to its extreme, Fox is replicated to become him in the past, him in the future, his son, his daughter (!) at the same time (no pun). Same for Biff and Doc. Darker tones and more visual shock are the spices added to glue the audience to the seat. A real mess with the going back and forth in time etc. in a story that tries to be low-cost impressive. Poor dialogues and everything over the line. The right premise of the following times, where all this will became the rule, the average format for every movie. Getting more and more extreme, of course.

You can disagree with me, but do you really think we'd be talking about this movie if it started from the sequel?

• Like 1

I share Jerry's sentiment regarding the sequels. Back to the Future is great, but it is mostly the original movie that really stands out. I think some lesser known or lower rated Michael J. Fox movies are actually much better in terms of story and overall acting, e.g. The Secret of My Success and especially Bright Lights, Big City. Don't get me wrong, the sequels still do look a lot better than most movies you could see in the theaters right now, but it's the first part that deserves to be called a classic.

• Like 2

• Administrators

I agree also. When they decide to make a sequel 5 years later after noticing the success of a movie, it's pretty obvious that it was as a business decision - so it's understandable that it isn't as well written, Part 2 is a complete mess, travelling back and forth, etc. Basically what the Fast and Furious franchise became also, the typical milked blockbuster.

I still don't mind watching them though, the Back to the Future movies. It's a trilogy which I'm confident EVERYBODY has seen. Even here it plays on free-to-air TV channels every year for as long as I can remember. A great classic movie just to sit back and enjoy whenever. Used to always watch it on TV while growing up.

I've also put it on a few times when I couldn't sleep at night and want a whole series to pass the time to sunrise, but that was before I got into Miami Vice. Now if I can't sleep I just watch MV instead. :p

• Like 1

I think the cinema sins video goes into that rather well actually,

something about a gremilins 2 thing

plus these two I found at the same time.

I saw Jimmy Kimmel's show on that day and they had this humorous skit:

The Fine Bros had a Teens React clip of this date as well:

Edited by Vice Immersion
  • Like 1