Voice Stress Analyzer in Lend Me an Ear

airtommy

"He's got a voice stress analyzer. You lie, you die!"

Lend_Ear.png

The device that Duddy lends to Dykstra in "Lend Me An Ear" is real:

"Truster is a fully computerized voice stress analyzer that allows you to detect the truth instantly."

Sound too good to be true? The best part is that it only costs $89. It was $189, according to the ad. According to a competitor, The National Institute For Truth Verification, the Truster used to sell for as much as $2,500. Business might have dropped off when they issued a Hot Press Release announcing they'd analyzed President Clinton's denial of having had sexual relations with "that woman," Monica Lewinsky. According to the Truster, Clinton was telling the truth.

What is a voice stress analyzer, you might wonder? It is a machine that measures components of the human voice--frequency modulations--that are correlated with stress. No machine can detect stress directly, much less distinguish whether the stress is due to lying, guilt, stutter, fear, constipation, or some other emotion or physical condition. The frequency modulations, called "micro tremors" by those who measure them, must be interpreted by a human being. The machine doesn't do the analysis, the examiner does.

[continued at link]

http://www.skepdic.com/refuge/truster.html

Apparently, this is not the same as a polygraph.  From Wikipedia:

In a study published December 7, 2013, the International Journal of Electrical, Electronics and Computer Engineering (IJEECE) found that Voice Stress Analysis (VSA) technology can identify emotional stress better than polygraph.

There is tension between the voice stress analysis community and the polygraph community, due to the fact that the polygraph is heavily regulated and has been subject to numerous detailed, contentious scientific studies, while voice stress analysis is largely unregulated.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voice_stress_analysis

• Like 2

So they used this voice analyzer from the real world. Cool! The more realistic the better.

I must say though, I wouldn't use these machines on people, I don't find them reliable.

Edited by summer84