Please help explain the differences of a McBurnie vs a Rowley or Carl Roberts car ?

Mvice8489

On ‎12‎/‎19‎/‎2015 at 12:57 PM, Stinger390X said:

Even the GM plaything from 84-87 called the Fiero has a kit available. You can even shoehorn a Cadillac engine into the rear for added performance...It fits!(with a few mods)

In essence there have been a lot of copies but they were halted by Enzo Ferrarri with a class action lawsuit back in the mid 80's, thus the change in season 3 of MV to a Testorossa.

I met a guy at a gas station in the early 90's with a Fiero kit car, except it didn't look like a Daytona, but a 308.  It was decent looking, but I realized it wasn't an actual Ferrari and asked him about it.  I was surprised to learn back then it was a Pontiac.  I also remember the Excalibre, and the Coyote/Manta, and quite a few Countach  kits.

Edited by pahonu

• 4 months later...

Hey guys ,Been following your posts and enjoyed the responses. I have a Roberts body with a 71 tub on an 80's frame, 86 TPI converted t0 90's speed and density ECM with a 4 speed muncie

transmission . I pulled it out of a barn near the Canadian border over 27 years ago when all was around was Hemmings Bible to find toys like this . My car sets 15x 8 Dayton cross laced spokes and  15x225x60 on front and 15x235x60's on the rear. The interior is molds from a place you have not mentioned Precision Motor Works which was in Chatsworth  Georgia in the early 90's. A super guy and honest shop. 1759698683_2007-09-3013_37_04.jpg.2ac7a9ecb6d988447c43ae233fdecd00.jpg

IMG_1502.JPG

IMG_0031.jpg

IMG_0033.JPG

IMG_0902.JPG

IMG_0900.JPG

20708207_1447145398685011_3301721987174796965_n.jpg

IMG_0010.JPG

IMG_0032.jpg

• Like 2

Welcome to the site, @VICE365 ! Great car and great pics! Thanks for sharing.  

I actually lived in Chatsworth GA for awhile! I would see a silver Daytona Spyder replica driving around sometimes. Maybe related. 

Very nice Vice 365!!!

Love the "Ferarri" milled into the valve covers. Did you have that made somewhere?

I am very jealous! Have fun and happy motoring...

Thanks a lot  Stinger 390X , Yes back in 1992 at the SCVA World car show in Indianapolis there was a vendor there that did all kinds of valve covers.

• 3 weeks later...

Yes  Kavinsky  your puzzled ?, Two reasons Suspension changed in later C3's in 1980 for a better ride and the 71 tub was a true convertible  vin and  rigidity already in place. not like the coupes being converted and then putting some reinforcement in. I was able to licence as an 1971 as well ,same years as the Daytona produced. When I built my car it was all leg work, Hemmings Bible and a lot of phone/in person conversations .Could have really used the internet then .Lol , Just returned from the 49th NSRA show with it and was put on what they call Million Dollar row ,where every car and spectator has to pass by,what an honor .There was over 10,000 cars there for the 4 day event. Here are a few pictures. A lot of people don't know what a Daytona Spyder is , But they know Miami Vice and Sonny Crockett. Have a good one

38423251_1823624264370454_8447625089779761152_n.jpg

38280495_1823624337703780_6320253626870661120_n.jpg

38392009_1823624184370462_6099127527693877248_n.jpg

38269206_1823624121037135_3594179412414693376_n.jpg

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
On ‎7‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 2:16 PM, VICE365 said:

Hey guys ,Been following your posts and enjoyed the responses. I have a Roberts body with a 71 tub on an 80's frame, 86 TPI converted t0 90's speed and density ECM with a 4 speed muncie

transmission . I pulled it out of a barn near the Canadian border over 27 years ago when all was around was Hemmings Bible to find toys like this . My car sets 15x 8 Dayton cross laced spokes and  15x225x60 on front and 15x235x60's on the rear. The interior is molds from a place you have not mentioned Precision Motor Works which was in Chatsworth  Georgia in the early 90's. A super guy and honest shop. 1759698683_2007-09-3013_37_04.jpg.2ac7a9ecb6d988447c43ae233fdecd00.jpg

IMG_1502.JPG

IMG_0031.jpg

IMG_0033.JPG

IMG_0902.JPG

IMG_0900.JPG

20708207_1447145398685011_3301721987174796965_n.jpg

IMG_0010.JPG

IMG_0032.jpg

The company you referred to in Chatsworth was run by a fellow named Tommy Vick.  Mr. Vick had worked for Carl Roberts and then went out on his own.  When the Ferrari Hammer dropped on Carl, Mr. Vick still had a garage full of car parts. I visited him about five years after I started working on my car, and he had everything from fiberglass parts to wire harnesses for C3 Corvettes.  I bought a hand full of parts from him for my car, but I can't remember exactly what the parts were.  He was very knowledgeable, and very helpful, too.  I ended up wandering around his garage, looking for any parts I could use, and then staying in touch with him.  The last time I tried to contact him (his family worked in public safety in the community) I heard he has passed.  One of the reasons I had pursued the Miami Vice cars, albeit later in life, was seeing one of the car bodies propped up outside Mr. Vick's business when I was in Chatsworth on business.  your reference brought back some good memories.  And, on another note, you have a beautiful car!

• Like 1

Yes, Tommy Vick was associated with Carl Roberts, But I'm referring to another shop named Precision Motor Works on the outside  of Chatsworth owned by a friend named David White . He had  some dealings with Roberts and Vick  and decided to start building the Daytona. He splashed one of Roberts bodies when  he could never get the complete kit from.I know he changed the flares down but no as much as Rowley did . I had my car there and we compared the bodies. I liked Carl's flairs on mine better and he liked his which did really look good. His interior panels are what I have in my car. He had Dr.K's build all of his wiring harnesses. He was put on to me by Curt Scott that wrote the complete kit car guide. I really wanted to do the car like miami vice but back then no internet or really good pictures and  I let him and another buddy talk me into the round headlights and ferrari interior. It turned out great and thank you for compliment on my car knowing how beautiful and the detail of your car was. I have all kinds of information and pictures of Davids cars and will try to post some. I also have the name of the original owner of the car in speed zone when the movie was  first made. He lived in Lexington,Ky and I purchased the windshield surround from him when he was fronting Roberts under the table selling parts. His name was Joe Burton  Custom Design Corvettes I am also enclosing the next person to claim they had car 1 that Carl sold to them after speed zone The Barron Corporation also known as Ohio Transmission , I saw this car at Carl Caspers custom car show in the 1990's and I told them it was not car 1 but the speed zone car they had photos of them and Don Johnson and a letter from Carl on display I still challenged them and left their display. Last picture is some of PMW's cars built in Chatsworth that I inspected personally and had David do some work on my car that I didn't have the expertise at that time, still was learning. He taught me a lot and is a great friend that we have lost touch in the last several  years. If only the internet and this forum had been around when I was building my car . You guys are great and I enjoy and learn when I read your discussions. Thanks again for the compliment about my car ,means a lot.

IMG_1966.JPG

IMG_1967.JPG

IMG_1968.jpg

4 hours ago, jurassic narc said:

The company you referred to in Chatsworth was run by a fellow named Tommy Vick.  Mr. Vick had worked for Carl Roberts and then went out on his own.  When the Ferrari Hammer dropped on Carl, Mr. Vick still had a garage full of car parts. I visited him about five years after I started working on my car, and he had everything from fiberglass parts to wire harnesses for C3 Corvettes.  I bought a hand full of parts from him for my car, but I can't remember exactly what the parts were.  He was very knowledgeable, and very helpful, too.  I ended up wandering around his garage, looking for any parts I could use, and then staying in touch with him.  The last time I tried to contact him (his family worked in public safety in the community) I heard he has passed.  One of the reasons I had pursued the Miami Vice cars, albeit later in life, was seeing one of the car bodies propped up outside Mr. Vick's business when I was in Chatsworth on business.  your reference brought back some good memories.  And, on another note, you have a beautiful car!

Yes, Tommy Vick was associated with Carl Roberts, But I'm referring to another shop named Precision Motor Works on the outside  of Chatsworth owned by a friend named David White . He had  some dealings with Roberts and Vick  and decided to start building the Daytona. He splashed one of Roberts bodies when  he could never get the complete kit from.I know he changed the flares down but no as much as Rowley did . I had my car there and we compared the bodies. I liked Carl's flairs on mine better and he liked his which did really look good. His interior panels are what I have in my car. He had Dr.K's build all of his wiring harnesses. He was put on to me by Curt Scott that wrote the complete kit car guide. I really wanted to do the car like miami vice but back then no internet or really good pictures and  I let him and another buddy talk me into the round headlights and ferrari interior. It turned out great and thank you for compliment on my car knowing how beautiful and the detail of your car was. I have all kinds of information and pictures of Davids cars and will try to post some. I also have the name of the original owner of the car in speed zone when the movie was  first made. He lived in Lexington,Ky and I purchased the windshield surround from him when he was fronting Roberts under the table selling parts. His \name was Joe Burton  Custom Design Corvettes I am also enclosing the next person to claim they had car 1 that Carl sold to them after speed zone The Barron Corporation also known as Ohio Transmission , I saw this car at Carl Caspers custom car show in the 1990's and I told them it was not car 1 but the speed zone car they had photos of them and Don Johnson and a letter from Carl on display I still challenged them and left their display. Last picture is some of PMW's cars built in Chatsworth that I inspected personally and had David do some work on my car that I didn't have the expertise at that time, still was learning. He taught me a lot and is a great friend that we have lost touch in the last several  years. If only the internet and this forum had been around when I was building my car . You guys are great and I enjoy and learn when I read your discussions. Thanks again for the compliment about my car ,means a lot.

IMG_1966.JPG.7223af1754511a14f46a08bb85a74679.JPGIMG_1967.JPG.c63f8aea17e4267d30fcb8e4dbe52498.JPGIMG_1968.jpg.b9ee7dd5f1026abf1d224a1c3964e8ef.jpg

• Like 2