Phil Collins say he doesn't know what In the Air Tonight is about ;

Miami Vice 1984

If I had a nickel for every time a musician played coy about the meaning of his lyrics, I'd own a home on Star Island. I don't believe that the lyrics are random.  The undertone is morbid, no doubt, but it certainly isn't about an actual drowning.  It is about a harsh breakup with a partner who was cheating.  

• Like 2

well If he knows what the song Mama is about, a prostitute, then he damn well knows what he wrote about here, and probably just doesnt want to pin it down with a specific meaning and keep it up to the imagination.

Edited by Kavinsky

I thought he watched the scene that needed music and created an appropriate melody for it. I saw Jan Hammer composing like that.

Speaking of which, people need to give Phil more credit. No Jacket Required is a masterpiece. The earlier works are amazing as well. Happy Saturday my friends

Speaking of which, people need to give Phil more credit. No Jacket Required is a masterpiece. The earlier works are amazing as well. Happy Saturday my friends

Gotta agree with you, of all his albums, he really hit the mark with "No Jacket Required", IMO.

• Like 1

Gotta agree with you, of all his albums, he really hit the mark with "No Jacket Required", IMO.

I've seen Phil live a few times, etc. and lived that album forever. But recently a good friend put played it on a $10,000 sound system. Mind blown. Heard things never before. Outstanding. The production on that album is almost perfect, especially compared to today's rubbish. Cheers

On ‎1‎/‎13‎/‎2016 at 0:52 PM, Miami Vice 1984 said:

https://www.facebook.com/philcollins/videos/vb.358380762715/10153828267287716/?type=2&theater

A new video interview. He said it was basically stream of consciousness creativity (is how I would say it). Not the urban myth. Which the one I heard was a bout watching someone drown ;

And he's also said that it was written in anger at a time when he was going through a divorce. As he said in a BBC interview "It's the angry side, or the bitter side of a separation"  See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/In_the_Air_Tonight for more on this.

• Like 1

In the air tonight is definetely about his former wife who cheated on him (allegedly with a painter). The majority of lyrics is about that. there is even a video where Phil played the song with an open bucket of paint standing on the keyboard. Phil denied later that the bucket was a hidden revenge message by saying that the bucket was just for decoration, but that sounded odd given the fact that this was the only piece of decoration of this kind and had otherwise no context. The lines about drowning are also revenge or anger driven ("Well, if you told me you were drowning, I wouldn't lend a hand....") and fit to the cheating context.

Interesting version about the painter and his Ex, and seems to be supported by an article here, http://www.todayifoundout.com/index.php/2010/11/phil-collins-did-not-write-in-the-air-tonight-about-a-guy-who-watched-another-guy-drown/ , even referencing the paint bucket and brush incident.

And when some of the lyrics are considered, it seems to me he may be directing them at the painter and his Ex:

Well if you told me you were drowning, I would not lend a hand
I've seen your face before my friend, but I don't know if you know who I am
Well I was there and I saw what you did, I saw it with my own two eyes
So you can wipe off that grin, I know where you've been
It's all been a pack of lies"

And:

"Well I remember, I remember, don't worry, how could I ever forget
It's the first time, the last time we ever met
But I know the reason why you keep your silence up, oh no you don't fool me
Well the hurt doesn't show, but the pain still grows
It's no stranger to you and me"

• 1 month later...