South Beach 1993 TV Show

Crockettt

What do you think about this show? It was heavily inspired by Miami Vice. The series was created by Dick Wolf and Robert DeLaurentis and starred Yancy Butle and John Glover.

All aired episodes can be watched for free here:
https://archive.org/details/south-beach-tv-series

Edited by Crockettt
  • Like 3

Hey Crockett.......these episodes look good. I plan on watching them tomorrow when I have more time. Thanks for posting.......it does remind me of Miami Vice.

I remember this show.  I was working on a show some time after and one of the producers worked on it. Somehow we got to talking about South Beach.  I asked whatever happened to Yancy Butler.  He said she had a real problem with the booze.  A shame...I thought she was pretty good.

Bob DeLaurentis went on to work on The OC down the road.  I worked with him a bit.  NIce dude.

• Like 2

• 5 years later...

I Wonder if don johnson wanted to reprise his role as sonny crockett in this show, this short lived series is in the same universe as miami vice.

I don't think so but Patti D'Arbanville (DJ's ex-girlfriend and mother of Jesse Johnson) had a role in that show.

Edited by Crockettt
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for posting this Crockettt, I’ll definitely check this out. I just watched a few minutes and it definitely gives me Vice vibes. I have never heard of this before. And hey, the show stars Miami Steve so it can’t be all that bad :cool:

I’ve been checking out a few similar shows recently like “L.A Vice” and “Silk Stalkings”. Nothing compares to the almighty MV but I still find them some what interesting to watch. I gave “Burn Notice” a chance due to it’s Miami location but it wasn’t for me. Maybe I’ll try Dexter next. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I remember when this show premiered...I really liked it, but only a few episodes aired before it was cancelled. From what I remember it was pretty good!

• 1 year later...

I was wrong.  This show is excellent.  I HIGHLY recommend it.  Miami Vice addicts must watch this show.

It's a shameless ripoff of Miami Vice and it's not nearly as good as Vice.  If I had seen it in 1993, I would have hated it, both for its crass unoriginality and because in 1993 the whole Vice thing was tired and played out.  But now?  Now, it's awesome!

All 7 episodes have been uploaded here:   https://archive.org/details/south-beach-tv-series

On 7/5/2021 at 1:02 PM, Dadrian said:

Did anyone notice the soundtrack is done by Mark Mothersbaugh (from Devo)? :thumbsup:

Thanks for the heads-up.  I didn't know the name.   Mothersbaugh does a good job composing the background music.  It's a blend of Jan Hammer and Tim Truman.

Edited by airtommy

Remember in "Lend Me An Ear" when Duddy had lunch with Crockett & Tubbs at Big Fish Restaurant?

Screenshot(250).thumb.png.1b2844ecf84a9999786249f0460d49af.png

Screenshot(251).thumb.png.6d8b15dfb0c29effb747a3d84ce1ed49.png

Screenshot(252).thumb.png.d7d2cf0f6535b1161852458223af3839.png

Here is Duddy having lunch at Big Fish again!  Except it's not Duddy, it's John Glover playing the role of "Roberts" in "South Beach"

Screenshot(248).thumb.png.2be2833719429d1915995090a39f3f91.png

Screenshot(2).thumb.png.252541d3b669353954be0863cdc90ff4.png

Screenshot(4).thumb.png.ca13b1cba4f65ddd6d70dbe707201415.png

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, airtommy said:

I was wrong.  This show is excellent.  I HIGHLY recommend it.  Miami Vice addicts must watch this show.

It's a shameless ripoff of Miami Vice and it's not nearly as good as Vice.  If I had seen it in 1993, I would have hated it, both for its crass unoriginality and because in 1993 the whole Vice thing was tired and played out.  But now?  Now, it's awesome!

Thanks for the heads-up.  I didn't know the name.   Mothersbaugh does a good job composing the background music.  It's a blend of Jan Hammer and Tim Truman.

Yancy Butler short-lived series. I remember watching this when it premiered in the summer of 1993...I loved it! I was greatly disappointed when it was cancelled! I didn’t remember it was a ripoff of MV, necessarily...but, it’s been 30 years ago that I watched it. :p

• Thanks 1

This nice Art Deco hotel has been demolished.  They called this the Century Beach Club.  I can't figure out what its original name is.  This sign looks like ----- NEVER.

OceanNE.thumb.png.4a18aa4cd9d6942b09e16c0403c03a36.png

CenturyBeachClub.thumb.png.dc264fdf99f2b6a8664bb0a9e084c997.png

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

In the opening credits of the show at 0.10 the Chalks plane taking off and at 0.23 the  shot of Downtown\ Courthouse from Bayside at sunset were lifted directed from Miami Vice. 
The plane shot was in the end credits at times The sunset shot was seen in the Pilot  and Red Tape.

IMG_7172.jpeg

IMG_7173.jpeg

Edited by Matt5
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/6/2023 at 5:14 PM, airtommy said:

This nice Art Deco hotel has been demolished.  They called this the Century Beach Club.  I can't figure out what its original name is.  This sign looks like ----- NEVER.

OceanNE.thumb.png.4a18aa4cd9d6942b09e16c0403c03a36.png

CenturyBeachClub.thumb.png.dc264fdf99f2b6a8664bb0a9e084c997.png

It was the Ocean Haven Hotel at 155 Ocean Drive.

OceanHaven.jpg.c0287eec3d3de0a85a7fb510c9f3f910.jpg

• Like 3

On 3/29/2016 at 5:23 AM, Crockettt said:

South Beach used many Miami Vice locations: OCB building, Victor Hotel, Watson Island, Venetian Causeway

Indeed!!!

The most memorable Miami Vice locations to look for when you're watching South Beach:

Ep 1 --- Nixon helicopter pad on Key Biscayne, Jimbo's on Virginia Key, SW 2nd Ave bridge + Miami Shipyard (OCB)

Ep 2 --- Big Fish restaurant, Chalk's Airways on Watson Island

Ep 7 --- Hotel Victor, The Carlyle

• Like 2

Kate Patrick's handler Roberts has his office on the roof of the Cadillac Hotel at 3925 Collins Avenue.  They walk out of his office directly onto the rooftop several times.  One time he is stationed at the Albion at 1650 James Avenue.

Kate Patrick stays at the Red Sands Hotel at 126 Ocean Drive.  This was formerly the Hotel Norwyn.  It has been demolished.

Screen capture:

RedSands1.thumb.png.0767c75b35063d28f2502db297634c98.png

Old photo:

redsands.jpg.22227072c2c682527c81bd0b902aa465.jpg

Looking south with Portofino Towers in the background at South Pointe:

redsands2.thumb.jpg.91a3a3ea7e82b3f44e25b4f40d4ac03c.jpg

Edited by airtommy
  • Like 1