CNN's Docu Series "The Eighties" & Miami Vice

TheGreatMcCarthy

Tonight's 1st episode "Raised on Television" had about a 5 minute discussion on Miami Vice and its impact. Several behind the scenes shots were shown and Michael Mann spoke. Check it out ! 

• Like 2

And as the credits were rolling, they featured the last minutes of the final episode as Sonny and Rico rode off into the sunset!  A fitting way to end a documentary featuring '80s television!

• Like 3

I only saw a few minutes of MV around 9:20 and then the ending. The ending was cool, but I would have liked to see more of a tribute to Vice!

i think they spent more time on Thirtysomething and LA Law. 

they could have spent more time on Dallas too. Got like 1 minute at the beginning. 

17 hours ago, Tony D. said:

I only saw a few minutes of MV around 9:20 and then the ending. The ending was cool, but I would have liked to see more of a tribute to Vice!

Many of these type of mini-series are made with a target demographic in mind to draw ratings and keep viewers. IMO Vice should have a much longer and more clips, not only for the show. But also for the culture the country was in at the time. Rising drug use, drug money basically bankrolling the revitalization of a Major City, Miami, and the fact that it was one of the only shows of the 80's that captured the all the senses.

To me all the other shows of the 80's were just that shows, but Vice was a culture and lifestyle changing experience for many of it's viewers. Hand down, nothing else on TV came close. Miami Vice was the 80's.

Edited by king77
grammar errors
  • Like 1

Well said King.

I agree as other shows were fiction but MV was fiction based on fact!

The other thing it was the first show ever in the history of television to have such ground breaking things such as modern music to take up dead dialogue parts and storytelling, and also the first show to ever shock the audience when the bad guys got away in the season one opener. Bad guys NEVER got away in any other show as television was the fairy tale story teller of society and life was apple pie and love. The good guys always won and you could sleep safe at night.

When the bad guys got away it made people think from the shock they had received, and also made them watch every week to see what would (could) happen. It was ground breaking television that other "feel good" shows did NOT have, and that is why it stood out of the crowd. Today it is now the norm to cheer for the bad guy to create conflict in the story, but he always gets it in the end. Story lines have come full circle again in almost any television entertainment gendre.

• Like 1