Mr. Johnston (Prodigal Son) - Mr. Smithers

chum981

Just wanted to clarify a rumour, which I'm guessing many of you guys have heard...So was Mr. Smithers from The Simpsons based on Mr. Johnston from Prodigal Son?!I wouldn't have thought so, but the similarities are remarkable!!!

That has been discussed before.The similarities are too much.I'll look for the thread.

Thanks timm525 - I searched Smithers but nothing came up, so I assumed it hadn't been discussed.Thanks for the picture Shill!!!

It's Mr. Burns, not Smithers. Smithers is his assistant.Great pic. Looks just like Mr. Johnston. I wonder if Mr. Burns really was based on Julian Beck in Prodigal Son. It's just too much of a coincidence

Guest The Talk

This topic was discussed on .info too.One member posted a link to "wikipedia.org" (scroll down to "Character/Creation").Quote:Burns's character, appearance, and mannerisms are based on several different persons. The show's creator Matt Groening principally based Burns on Frederik Olsen, a reclusive Norwegian shipping magnate and the owner of Timex. ....I also googled some "Simpsons" and "Julian Beck" sites.I couldn't find any hint to a connection between Mr. Burns (Simpsons) and Julian Beck (Mr. Burns/Prodigal Son).

Mr. Burns! Of course, not Smithers...So maybe Mr. Burns was based on Julian Beck, but the creators would rather not say so since its a comical character and so would be disrespectful to Julian Beck...