The Video Game Thread

James

• Administrators
1 hour ago, jpm1 said:

GTAV was a big disappointment for many (me included). not to speak about GTAO which was a testlab, but a complete disaster IMO. i stopped playing GTAO months ago. that game is a trolls sandbox. for me selling a lot means nothing. it's not because a game sells a lot that it will enter video games anthology. for me GTAV is an average game. at no moment i had that feeling of real freedom i had with GTAIV which had a much smaller map. Mafia III superpasses GTAV on all levels with much smaller budget. next GTA will need more than money to succeed

and beside i'm playing Elite right now. that game is amazing

I agree. GTAO was actually alright in the beginning, but they've gone so far off-track that it's lost all sense of meaning and has just become an easy cash grab for them. Too many stupid things like flying motorcycles that shoot rockets, adding content to support "griefers", the annoying kids who treat free mode like it's a deathmatch or something.  Their main target audience seems to be spoilt kids who use their parents credit card on the store. And as far as GTA 5 single player goes, I agree that it's mediocre, the open world is kind of boring, the story isn't that great and doesn't have much of a plot, just doing a bunch of jobs to make money... GTA 4 had a proper story where Niko was helping his cousin out of trouble whilst also looking for someone from his past, CJ was helping his families gang whilst finding the person who killed his mum, Tommy Vercetti was trying to find out who set up him and at the same time taking over Vice City. GTA 5's story is poor compared to previous games. And the soundtrack is mostly weak but there are a bunch of good or decent songs. But I enjoy GTA IV so much more, especially with the mods I have installed where I basically made it 2001. And I even still play Vice City a lot more often. 

But I have a feeling they'll get the sense of freedom right again in the next one, back in Vice City and rumour has it that it will also feature a South American area (I'm thinking a city inspired by Medellin?), so travelling between two countries. I'm expecting the sense of freedom RDR2 single player has where there's a lot to interact with in the world, because that is an amazing game. And GTA 6 has been in development for a good 5 years now, and will probably come out in 2021, which will be 7 years of development. RDR2 had 8 years of development time. Compared with GTA 5 which was only 5 years, and GTA 4 was 4 years. 

I'm actually expecting GTA 6 to be revealed in November this year. So that's something to look forward to. My expectations are high for that game.

• Like 1

It's been so long since I played IV but I remember noticing all the little downgrades this video points out as the differences between the games. I couldn't agree more on that Oppressor MK2 flying motorbike weapon in GTA V being the griefers choice of weapon. Jesus Christ is that overpowered and can take you out at will. 

Another series that's stepped backward in many ways is Just Cause, number two was incredible but I gave up on three after just a couple of hours gameplay. The engine, feel on the controls, none of it felt satisfying. They've just released a fourth game before Christmas but the reviews for that look poor. 

• Like 1

I found a money glitch for GTA Online, that’s very easy to do and it worked on my third try. It’s  new and not many people seem to know about it yet.

so far I’m up to $8 million having left my PS4 on for a couple of hours and using my iPhone headphones wrapped around the controller so many character walks around in circles.

Already spent most of it and will leave it on overnight to do its thing.

Further instructions and discussion here on Reddit.

Thought I'd add my favorite XBox game.  It is a first person shooter game that can be played solo or with up to 3 other players.  It is called Zombie Army Trilogy.  A friend of mine introduced it to me a few years ago.  Once I started playing it and got use to the controls I loved it.  It took me 50 hours of intense play to get through the whole game solo in the easy cadet mode.  I still play it a few hours every week.  It has lots of blood and gore but it is cartoonist. My wife will watch me play and cheer me on.  

• Like 1

• Administrators
6 hours ago, Marc said:

I found a money glitch for GTA Online, that’s very easy to do and it worked on my third try. It’s  new and not many people seem to know about it yet.

so far I’m up to $8 million having left my PS4 on for a couple of hours and using my iPhone headphones wrapped around the controller so many character walks around in circles.

Already spent most of it and will leave it on overnight to do its thing.

Further instructions and discussion here on Reddit.

Interesting and easy money glitch. Won't be long until this gets patched. I suggest investing in Deluxo's as you do it in case you do get reset, so you can get 2.8 mill whenever you need it just by selling the car. 

I'm already set for life on GTA Online, I have about 100 Deluxo's stashed away from the old glitch where you could get everything for free. :)  Don't really play it that often anymore anyway. 

it's not much of a glitch really, you're only requesting a plane and it doesn't show up. ;)

the money you earn accumulates slow and I'm just spending it on just the basics ceo office, bunker, facility and upgrading businesses etc because I never really play it. I have a secondary account on my PS4 set up for my dad, he once got given $300 million by hackers when the game first came out and Rockstar never noticed so use to just load that up if I ever fancied a quick blast on the batman car.

I was only rank 40 a week ago but been catching up with and hit 50 last night.

Edited by Marc

be careful. sometimes they don't ban money drops, but sometimes they do. it's highly recommended not to cheat/bug use/call hackers help in that game. when you have a money drop, report the hacker if you can. these people are scum. and it's highly recommended to create a second character, and put the illegal amount on it. R* will wipe it out regularly. i have a 530+ character there, and i never cheated. if you get banned it's hell to recover your character. plus i don't see the point personnally. i stopped playing GTAO a while ago. multi is not video games future IMHO. where you have multi you always have immature kids roaming. which only goal when they wake up everyday is to grief you

• Administrators

I've never been banned or reset, except for years ago on the PS3 with the first money drop hack, I only got 70m from one pick up not billions like most people. I always played it safe with money bugs and glitches. I stayed away from money drops. When I done car duplication glitches I always done safe amounts, never went over 8mill. But with the "everything free" glitch where you'd go online as a single player character and it would let you get cars for free, I bought some garages (using my legit money) and filled them up with free Deluxo's. That was maybe over 6 months ago and I still have them all, almost 100 of them. I'm set, as long as I don't exceed the sell limit. I don't sell more than two whenever I get online, don't need to sell more than that anyway, at 2.8m each. :)  That was my final glitch, not going to do any ever again for GTA Online's whole existence. 

• Like 1

I just bought the Cheetah Classic (Testarossa) and Topless Stringer (Daytona). Changed the plate to Burnett using the iPhone app.

I'm trying to get the right clothes so I can save it to my wardrobe outfits but I haven't found the same low cut t-shirt.

• Like 1

This is a sad image. The games industry is completely broken to be honest, the top echelon  keep getting better but far less of them exist each year. They’re too expensive to make now, they’re all about becoming an income generating service and one or two flops can kill a studio for good. It’s easier to predict what will be the next Fallout 76 or Anthem than to have high hopes for anything coming out in the future.

75358DCF-1596-47E7-B43C-D79D0C1147AF.jpeg

• Administrators
3 hours ago, Marc said:

This is a sad image. The games industry is completely broken to be honest, the top echelon  keep getting better but far less of them exist each year. They’re too expensive to make now, they’re all about becoming an income generating service and one or two flops can kill a studio for good. It’s easier to predict what will be the next Fallout 76 or Anthem than to have high hopes for anything coming out in the future.

75358DCF-1596-47E7-B43C-D79D0C1147AF.jpeg

Technology has evolved so much to a point where so much more time, money, resources, people, are needed to make a high quality game, therefore they can't really make a bunch of games like they used to. But I suspect we will see GTA 6 be revealed at the end of this year with a 2021 release since they've been working on it for 6 years. Definitely not a 2025 release. There was a drought there, but I think that was because they were putting so much into RDR2. Multiple studios were working on it, they can't really give all their studios one game each and smash them out like they used to. They've also closed down Rockstar San Diego. But right now, I think they can only work on one or two games at a time. It's also rumoured that they're working on Bully 2 also. They probably would want to get back into a rhythm where they release one game every year or two. 

On the subject of Rockstar Games, I came here to post this GTA Vice City fan-made animation. 

• Like 1

Rockstar not releasing a Vice City between V and RDR2 was a missed opportunity but understand why it didn't happen. The eighties revival, synthwave and nostalgia has died down now and by 2021 it might be totally out of fashion. There's kids who was born after GTA III came out and are now turning 18! 

Thinking about when and where the next GTA is set I never really gave any thought about the phone you'll be using but it's a key component in how you interact with the world. I'd totally forgotten how basic the IV model was and that you had to visit Internet cafes with your character. If they set the game in the past does that mean we won't have smartphones. I like the theory that it could be in a fictional Detroit / Chicago for something new. There's apparently a Carcer City in the GTA universe. 

I really hope Cyberpunk 2077 turns out to be good, word is they're showing it at E3 again this year.

Mobilephone-GTAIV.jpg

On 2/18/2019 at 10:04 AM, Marc said:

Another series that's stepped backward in many ways is Just Cause, number two was incredible but I gave up on three after just a couple of hours gameplay. The engine, feel on the controls, none of it felt satisfying. They've just released a fourth game before Christmas but the reviews for that look poor. 

Just cause is one of the biggest mysteries to me. they had everything to make a great game, and they ruined it all. did you see the n°4. you can fly into a tornado. completely dumb

concerning GTA6, it's pretty hard to say what it will be. it seems the devs are far from having it finished, and i really don't know what they're doing. i mean with all their money what's the problem. maybe Benzies is making cruelly defaut. i read once they called him kinda panicked for RDR2 to fix bugs. while he wasn't working on it

Mad Max was made by a sister studio who did Just Cause, I bought that game too and never got past more than the first few missions. If I had to name my favourite games this generation there would only be Horizon Zero Dawn, Rocket League, maybe the Far Cry series and am already struggling. I'll get Spider-Man and God of War when they're on sale.

Here's my trophy collection, https://psnprofiles.com/sparced 

• Administrators
9 hours ago, Marc said:

Rockstar not releasing a Vice City between V and RDR2 was a missed opportunity but understand why it didn't happen. The eighties revival, synthwave and nostalgia has died down now and by 2021 it might be totally out of fashion. There's kids who was born after GTA III came out and are now turning 18! 

Thinking about when and where the next GTA is set I never really gave any thought about the phone you'll be using but it's a key component in how you interact with the world. I'd totally forgotten how basic the IV model was and that you had to visit Internet cafes with your character. If they set the game in the past does that mean we won't have smartphones. I like the theory that it could be in a fictional Detroit / Chicago for something new. There's apparently a Carcer City in the GTA universe. 

I really hope Cyberpunk 2077 turns out to be good, word is they're showing it at E3 again this year.

Mobilephone-GTAIV.jpg

Interesting. I never thought about the phone thing either. I guess if they done a game in the 80s you'd have a pager and have to go to a payphone to make the call? Payphones, just like GTA 1 and 2. Would be a nice little "throwback". :) 

Or perhaps your personal vehicle will have a car phone.

Mobile phones were too big to carry around back then, but Crockett had one on the St Vitus Dance. 

51byZV8oYwL._SX385_.jpg

And Tommy Vercetti unrealistically carried one in his pocket in Vice City.

GTA IV is really a product of it's time isn't it? I sometimes forget how it was back in 2007-2008, you didn't have a smartphone with internet access. Although phones had internet access, the data was really expensive and as soon as you accidentally opened the browser your first instinct was to quickly close it. :)  We have it too easy these days. 

45 minutes ago, James said:

Mobile phones were too big to carry around back then, but Crockett had one on the St Vitus Dance. 

51byZV8oYwL._SX385_.jpg

I think that was a cordless landline phone, not a cell phone.  I admit I don't know how that would work on a boat.

That is a cordless phone. And I'd guess they had links to phone lines like you would for power, fresh water, and other things you might not want to drain the boat of when it's tied up like that.

• Like 2

• Administrators
1 hour ago, airtommy said:

I think that was a cordless landline phone, not a cell phone.  I admit I don't know how that would work on a boat.

The reason why I assumed it was a mobile. And because mobiles were roughly the same size in those days. Oh well. :)

15 hours ago, jpm1 said:

is the following video a real game. i mean this

I missed your question but I think it's just an animation someone made.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, airtommy said:

we had a cordless phone in my parents house in the 80s, these things have a descent range. could perfectly work connected to a box on the pier. and yeah i don't think cell phones existed in the 80s. even though i remember my brother-in-law (my sister friend) had a kind of big box in his Mercedes. if i remember correctly it had an handle, and we could move it around. something of that kind

1817973.jpg

@MarcMad max was a good game. my Steam list is f..ed up. but my most played games are Total war:Rome II, theHunter:CallofTheWild, Farming simulator 19, Fishing sim world, Assetto corsa/AC competizione, State of decay 2, Mafia III, Elite, Euro truck 2, & AC origins, & AC odyssey. badly hooked by Elite these days

On 2/28/2019 at 12:52 PM, Marc said:

Carcer City is the setting of the first Manhunt game which while is darker and more horror-minded game is still set in the same universe as the PS2 era of GTA games (One of the villains, a corrupt police chief named Gary Shaffer, was mentioned on the radio two years before Manhunt's release in GTA 3 for instance). I would love to see a new game whether a Manhunt revival or a GTA game set in a Chicago/Detroit hybrid. A new GTA set in Carcer City would help bring back some that early GTA feel with menacing gangs patrolling the streets and other criminals to look over your shoulder for. As much as I liked GTA V I have to admit I felt Los Santos like GTA IV's Liberty City felt too at times safe outside of the odd random encounters. Wouldn't want something necessarily as tough as the Mafia guys with shotguns in GTA 3 but something that gives the map a little more of a seedy and dangerous vibe.

As for phones, I'm give or take on them and wouldn't want them to ultimately dictate what year the game would take place. If they make the next one set in modern times I hope they make the phone more of a feature than just making odd calls when the mission prompts you to. Imagine if you were on a mission but forgot to turn your cell phone off, it goes off randomly for some odd reason and the whole place is alerted so now you got to go option B and go in guns blazing. Of course this would also require Rockstar to open up the missions more and rely less on scripted events and rubber band A.I. to give the player more freedom to tackle them in a variety of more organic ways.