The Video Game Thread

James

We can hope... But who knows with Rockstar...

Personally I'd rather see this than some lame NBC reboot. Rockstar is so obsessive with details it would be a much better tribute and have the right feel.

• Administrators

The game is going to be massive if all the rumours are correct, Vice City, Liberty City, and Los Santos in one map + A South American like Medellin is also rumoured from The Know a few years back but sounding less likely. And seeing how RDR2 turned out, if they implement that level of depth then GTA 6 will be amazing. 

My personal opinion is that they will reveal it at the end of this year as they always do in around October-November, for 2021 release. Just as GTA 5 and RDR2, revealed 2 years before release. With next-gen consoles rumoured to be revealed at E3 this year, it makes sense to then reveal GTA 6 for next-gen consoles to generate hype for both console and game. 

I just hope they don't do the scummy thing of releasing it on current-gen and then again on next-gen after lying and saying it wasn't coming to next-gen. I'd like it to be a proper next-gen game. 

• Like 1

@ James do you realize what it means LS + LC + VC on one map. it's technically impossible. all these baitclick vids are scam for the most. with R* there's no chance to see a leak before the release

• Administrators
30 minutes ago, jpm1 said:

@ James do you realize what it means LS + LC + VC on one map. it's technically impossible. all these baitclick vids are scam for the most. with R* there's no chance to see a leak before the release

A Rockstar employee sort of hinted at it on his online profile. He was listing things and started each item like:

V

C

L

C

L

S

Which is where that theory comes from. Because people have leaked things like that in the past. 

Plus, Rockstar themselves said in an interview before GTA 5 came out that their end goal is to have all their cities on one map where you could fly between them. It is possible, why wouldn't it be? Tech is always getting better and modders are able to put Liberty City alongside Los Santos without any performance loss, all you need is landmass in between them around the size of the RDR2 map, maybe a bit smaller. It is possible. But the game size will be massive. Games only load in and spawn objects when you get within a distance, a draw distance, it shouldn't put much more strain on hardware that any ordinary game would. 

This is for the next generation of consoles, so anything is possible. You can make a map as big as you want, really. You're not loading it all in at once, it progressively loads in as you move. Rockstar have sections of their maps in different files so it's not all loaded at once. What about games like The Crew (which has a tonne of cities and towns on a recreated map of the whole United States spanning 1900 square miles), and Skyrim which is over 3,000 square miles?

GTA 5 is probably less than 50 square miles. I expect the map with all the cities to be around 400 square miles. It is within reach of our current technical capabilities in my opinion. 

this is not a question of hardware this is a question of hiring enough employees. i don't think this will happen for the following reasons

- 1st i highly doubt of a R* employee leaking anything. he would take too many risks

- i don't think a company even R* can make a three huge cities map. it's just impossible in term of required employees. unless of course you slaugter all the details, which i highly doubt R* will do

- i don't think GTA engine can handle such map size. unless maybe they create a map streaming system like North yanktown. but that would imply waiting times between the maps. i doubt this will happen. it's not impossible technically though. but that would imply a super large download. i don't know if aiming at only the people that can download a 150Gig file would be a wise commercial choice

- there's only one thing i'm almost sure about, it's that GT6 development started with no hurry. they took their time, and they gave priority to GTAO, and RDR2. so if you consider the game is awaited for something like 7 years now. it shouldn't last long now. thus the world you describe is impossible to achieve in such time. remember it took them 4 years just to achieve the 81 km² map of V

Edited by jpm1

The one thing that PlayStation's Mark Cerny demoed when talking about the next gen was load times and the benefit of solid state drives.

They had Spider-Man running on test hardware and it was 15 x faster.

If they brought back Liberty City, would it be the GTA4 map re-skinned to look like the 80s or would they have to remake it from scratch? Either way it seems like a lot of resources for something we've seen before. Would be cool to see it again just for 1 mission like in San Andreas.

If they want to do 3 cities, How about Miami, Havana and Nassau or something. The game equivalent of South Florida could be in the top left of the map including Miami, everglades, the keys etc. The Bahamas on the right and their version of Cuba and Havana at the bottom. Obviously condense the distances so it only takes like a minute to fly across the ocean in the middle.

..And yes i'm only suggesting this so we can shamelessly get references to MV in it. :)

They never do real cities, so I'd expect to see Vice City (obviously Miami). I'd actually be happy to not see LC again, honestly.They've used it enough now. San Andreas wouldn't be as bad, but it's almost played out, too.

They could do a decent South American urban areas just based on what they used for Max Payne III.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Robbie C. said:

They never do real cities

I meant the cities would be based on those real ones.

If they did South America too that would be superbbb

Edited by Vincent Hanna
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Vincent Hanna said:

I meant the cities would be based on those real ones.

If they did South America too that would be superbbb

True enough. I'd like to see Vice City, something South American, and maybe a few islands. Kind of like the layout that was used for the Scarface game back with the PS2. I know it's not Rockstar but that game had good geography in my view.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Robbie C. said:

True enough. I'd like to see Vice City, something South American, and maybe a few islands. Kind of like the layout that was used for the Scarface game back with the PS2. I know it's not Rockstar but that game had good geography in my view.

Yesss, I was thinking of the scarface game and the drug smuggling in that:D

There was a godfather 2 game with Havana, NY and Miami but they were individual maps though

Edited by Vincent Hanna

Vice city is very likely. at least logical. but we can't be sure, as i know it wasn't planned originally. R* artists (Garbut) weren't keen to create a game in VC. but that was before, or in GTAV early days. meanwhile the community clearly expressed her interest for VC

Edited by jpm1

If they don't want to re-do Vice City they can always make the MV game that I pitched ages ago :hippie:

..Or if they made any game based on tv show/movie as good as their "The Warriors" game would suffice

• Like 1

• Administrators
8 hours ago, Vincent Hanna said:

they want to do 3 cities, How about Miami, Havana and Nassau or something. The game equivalent of South Florida could be in the top left of the map including Miami, everglades, the keys etc. The Bahamas on the right and their version of Cuba and Havana at the bottom. Obviously condense the distances so it only takes like a minute to fly across the ocean in the middle.

This is why I like Inside Gaming/The Know's leaks better, and I feel like it's more plausible. They had Miami (Vice City), surrounding areas like the Everglades, The Keys, and a South American area, most likely Medellin because Narcos and Pablo Escobar is pop-culture now. And maybe they can put some Bahamian islands in between. I feel like this is much more likely than the all 3 cities thing.

Plus they're supposedly a reputable news source, they wouldn't make a story out of it if there wasn't any credibility behind it. 

This is from last year. 

Maybe they'll do something with all 3 (4?) cities for Online, where you fly between them via the airports, that would be achievable. 

• Like 3

The original GTA game had three maps. It started in Liberty City then moved to San Andreas which was based off of San Francisco (or what later would be called San Fierro in the GTA universe) then finally Vice City. One project I'd love to see is a soft remake of the original game keeping not only the three locations with their original gritty vibe intact but also a back to the original basics on mission design. Not a very likely project though.

But most likely unless they surprise with a complete new and unused location then it'll probably be Vice City. After V and Red Dead I don't see an urban-only GTA being their next priority and Vice City would absolutely deliver on that. The Everglades alone would be a huge selling point. So much to explore and as James has said they don't have to be totally restricted to just the U.S. then. Plenty of other non-U.S. locations that are just a boat ride or seaplane away.

• 3 weeks later...

if anyone plays Rocket League they're having an 80's season this summer. lots of movie and tv show DLC.

unfortunately no Miami Vice but Ghostbusters, Knight Rider, Back to the Future, WWF all feature.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

this is the most controversial multiplayer behavior AFAIK. but for me it remains the funniest thing i ever saw on the internet. i'm talking of Serenity now raid in WoW, over the funerals of a girl who died IRL. don't get me wrong, i hate PvP with passion, also attacking an ingame funeral of a player who died IRL wasn't something i'd say cool as my standards. but in the same time having a funeral in a PvP zone is just the basics to not do in a multi game. these guys jumped onto the occasion, and created such a mess, that it's hard not to laught hard each time

• Haha 1

I've never played any MMO's or been a PC gamer but know how hard it is for even a handful of people to behave themselves. 

For the last few months all I've been doing is logging into GTA V. I do the daily objectives and then drive around listening to Spotify. I try not to kill anyone unless I see them destroying someone else's cargo or bullying low levels. I like to wait to see if they make the mistake of attacking me first then I'll terrorise them. Had a couple of people DDOS me and put my Internet down for 10-20 minutes. The longest was about an hour.

I just don't have the attention anymore to play a campaign or follow cutscenes. Still haven't finished Red Dead 2 or bought God of War, Spider-Man etc.