The A-Team (1983-1987)

ArtieRollins

ff9a9d52-ca70-44c3-89fa-aa597613f598_zps 

"In 1972 a crack commando unit was sent to prison by a military court for a crime they didn't commit. These men promptly escaped from a maximum security stockade to the Los Angeles underground. Today, still wanted by the government, they survive as soldiers of fortune. If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find them, maybe you can hire the A-Team."

Colonel John "Hannibal" Smith (George Peppard) the A-Teams leader, who always enjoy being "on the jazz", a cigar or two, outsmarting his enemies - often with the use of several disguises and of course he just loves it "when a plan comes together".

First Lieutenant Arthur Templeton "Faceman" Peck (Dirk Benedict) the teams smoothtalking ladies man, who would use his trustworthy looks to con, scam and lie his way out (sometimes in to) any kind of trouble, but his taste in women has often gotten both him and the gang in lots of trouble.

Sergeant First Class Bosco Albert "B. A." (Bad Attitude) Baracus (Mr. T) This mean ol' big mudsucka doesn't take to kindly on any jibber jabber (especially when it comes from Murdock), and even though at first sight he might seem like a scary guy, he is actually more of a friendly giant who always sticks up for his friends and those who are down and out. Much more than just the brawn of the gang, as B.A. can fix his way out of anything thanks to being a legendary mechanic, and the only thing he fear in life, is flying. 

Captain H.M. "Howling Mad" Murdock (Dwight Schultz) The A-Team's "secret" weapon and mad genious, H.M. Murdock is a fantastic pilot and one of the best there ever was, and even though he might be a bit off this planet at times, the team always knew that they can trust him to do the job. He loves animals, especially his dog Billy, but somehow he's the only one who can see him. H.M. best buddy is B.A. (even though B.A. would never admit that) and Murdock loves to play around with the big mudsucka, and he knows nothing irritates B..A. more than many of Murdock's fictional characters and adventures, such as Cabtain Cab and many more.

As much as I used to hate the school as a kid, the reward was the knowledge that afterwards me and my friends would spend hours every monday to thursday, watching great 80s show like: Knight Rider, MacGyver, Airwolf and my favorite The A-Team. We were really spoiled back then. It was like saturday morning, every afternoon. Of course not everybody were happy with this, both our parents and teachers hated these shows, especially The A-Team, because it "made violence look fun" but somehow they had no trouble letting their precious innocent kids watch other mindless action filled shows like, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Bikermice From Mars, Transformers, James Bond Jr., Power Rangers etc. 

The A-Team stood out as the best and most enjoyable of "the fab 4". Everybody seemed to have their own A-Team club, dressing up, acting like and wanting to be either B.A. or Murdock. Somehow nobody wanted to be Faceman or Hannibal. It was a great time, were we would play A-Team in school, planning our own little schemes and trying to not get caught by the teachers at the same time. Sadly the show was taken off the air, and the only way to see it was later on a german channel, RTL, and even though none of us knew a single german word, we would still catch every episode and laughing out loud at how funny it was seeing B.A. being dubbed by a german.

When The A-Team was getting released on DVD for the first time, around 2006-07, I remember there were suddenly a small backlash written about the show and none of them in a very positive way. Sure it has been a favorite target for several 80s haters/critics and they just love to point out how silly the show was. Unrealistic, making violence and war seem fun, treating women like mindless sex objects and that every episode were exactly the same so on. One thing that seemed to get mentioned over and over again, was how it would never get made today, because it was too much of a man dominated macho TV show, which only audience were young boys who did not know any better. 

I do not know which rock many of these angry critics had been hiding under for all those years, waiting for the opportunity to take their revenge on the evil A-Team, but they seemed to overlook the fact that this was a show that kids loved, both boys and girls. Heck, I had to "fight" with the girl I was in love with, because we both wanted to be Murdock, and we knew better than throwing knives and rocks at each other or beating ourselves to death with our bare hands.

Anyway, The A-Team was and still is one of the coolest and most enjoyable TV-shows ever made, and for the past few months I have been going through season 1, 2 and three, and all I can say is: "I love it when a show holds up so well together (much better than expected)".

I know that things got a bit downhill somewhere between season 4 and five (too many changes with the formula), but the first three seasons are all classic. Highly entertaining and all of the great nostalgia comes right back, but in a good way. I was sadly surprised to see how fast they got rid off Amy Allen, but from what I understood the character was not a big favorite of George Peppard who said he had nothing against Melinda Culea but that the show didn't need a female sidekick. She was "replaced" by Tawnya or Twania I think, but she too went away on a permanent vacation from the show later on.

Every episode is packed with great feel-good atmosphere, and its even funnier watching how ridiculous some of the scenes are now, like when:

- Murdock and Hannibal are being chased in a helicopter (by another one) and the bad guys later crash in to a mountain, their helicopter burst into flames and explodes to tiny pieces. Afterwards we see all the bad guys crawl out of the wreck, unharmed, like they just have gotten out of their beds in the morning.

- Carton boxes were always bulletproff (but not for the bad guys)

- Nobody dies or (at least not that I can think of)

- If your name is Brion James, Dennis Franz, Kurtwood Smith or Michael Ironside it is very unlikely you'll get a the part as one of the good guys

In 2006 or 07 there was a "documentary", fan made? called Bring Back The A-Team!, which was about trying to get the remaining actors of the show back together again.

Edited by ArtieRollins
  • Like 2

• 5 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...

At the time this show first aired, I had one brother and two boy cousins, and oldest to youngest we were no more than four years apart.  We played "The A-Team" all the time.  We all chose the characters we wanted to be, but I had an observant uncle who was watching us and suggested which characters we should portray.  Having the input of an adult on our little role play meant A LOT, so we followed his advice.  All in all, "The A-Team" was one of my favorite shows growing up.  I'll still pull it up on Netflix when I can and nose through some old episodes. 

• Like 1

Mr. T stood in line behind me for about 30 minutes at a cafeteria in Texas around 1992. In an ironically soft-spoken voice, he kindly entertained every 12 year old question I had about the A-Team and Rocky 3 :) 

I will never forget how nice he was to me, my family, and everyone else who subsequently approached him. 

I will also never forget the portions of food he got :sick:

Edited by Dadrian
  • Like 2

Hm. The A Team was never really my kind of thing. I mean, I can appreciate that it was a show that was loved by many people, but that's where it ends for me.

I was more into Airwolf and The Fall Guy back in those days... and then of course at age twelve, I became a lifelong Miami Vice fan... ;)

Edited by Daytona74

Fun show. The largest memory is that no could shoot anyone, and everyone jumped just before an explosion. I probably watched every episode. Remember when Boy George was on it? 

• Like 1