Sonny's bribe in "Little Prince"

mirrorimageegamirorrim

What did Sonny bribe Royco with?  It definitely was not money.  Could it have been drugs?  

Another question about this episode- Was the telephone Jorgensen Sr. was using outdoors supposed to be cordless?  It looks like a traditional phone but what is attaching it to the wall?  Was this just a detail the producers were not concerned about?   

Edited by mirrorimageegamirorrim
  • Like 1

On July 6, 2016 at 7:08 PM, mirrorimageegamirorrim said:

What did Sonny bribe Royco with?  It definitely was not money.  Could it have been drugs?  

Another question about this episode- Was the telephone Jorgensen Sr. was using outdoors supposed to be cordless?  It looks like a traditional phone but what is attaching it to the wall?  Was this just a detail the producers were not concerned about?   

Those were drugs but it was not a bribe.  Sonny pulled drugs out of Royco's pocket and showed it to him as a threat, as in "we could arrest you for this if you don't tell us where the drug den is".  Alternatively, Sonny might have pulled the drugs out of his own pocket.  In that scenario. he was threatening to plant them on Royco to arrest him.  I think the first scenario is more likely.

As for the phone, I don't think it's at all unrealistic for a person rich enough to live on Star Island to have an underground phone line laid out to the middle of the yard and a jack installed there.  You can definitely see the cord coming out of the back of the phone when Mary comes up to Jorgenson Sr.

[edit]  On second look, the table is right in the middle of grass.  It DOES look very weird.  Nobody would install a phone jack there.   If it were on a patio it would make a lot more sense.

Edited by airtommy
  • Like 1

On 7/9/2016 at 11:16 PM, airtommy said:

Those were drugs but it was not a bribe.  Sonny pulled drugs out of Royco's pocket and showed it to him as a threat, as in "we could arrest you for this if you don't tell us where the drug den is".  Alternatively, Sonny might have pulled the drugs out of his own pocket.  In that scenario. he was threatening to plant them on Royco to arrest him.  I think the first scenario is more likely.

This is a good thought.  I guess I missed the place where Sonny got them.  I imagine you already watched the scene before posting but I'll go back too and rewatch it and see if I notice anything.  I'll post anything interesting I see. 

I just rewatched it and, indeed, Sonny frisks Royco and finds the drugs that he was carrying.  So you are absolutely right-- this was not a bribe.  He simply used it as leverage to find out the location of the "shooting gallery".  

This has actually made me realize something:  I always watch Vice with the subtitles on because I don't want to miss any of the dialogue and it seems that this causes me to overlook some pretty obvious things.  I think I'm going to rewatch the whole series with no subtitles on and experience the show all over again.  It's kind of exciting.  Who knows what I'll discover?

By the way, if you've never watched with the subtitles on I do recommend it.   You may be surprised how much dialogue you have missed.   

Edited by mirrorimageegamirorrim
  • Like 2

Oh yes, I watched the scene before posting.  Trying to go by memory isn't such a good idea for me.   :D  If I mention a character's name in a post, that usually means I looked it up before posting.  I rarely remember the names of the characters in episodes.

Great point about the subtitles.

• Like 1