Episode #93 "Heart Of Night"

Ferrariman

An attempt to tie up loose ends possibly for lack of ideas may be why this ep exists in the first place. Even though the other marriage is over, maybe May Ying just doesn't want to be involved with another man whose job puts him at risk. The woman has been thru a lot, after all. People can still love each other without being together. Exes do that all the time. I think they were acknowledging what they have meant to each other but that doesn't necessarily mean they're going to be together. As far as Castillo and Trudy, you have to remember he's emotionally involved in this case whether he wants to show it or not so his behavior may not be normal.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

By this stage Vice was running on fumes, and someone might have remembered Castillo had a wife he thought was dead but learned earlier was alive. So some bright spark thought "episode potential" even if it wasn't there. That or EJO felt there should be closure of some kind and this is the best they could come up with.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Bren10 said:

Even though the other marriage is over, maybe May Ying just doesn't want to be involved with another man whose job puts him at risk. The woman has been thru a lot, after all. People can still love each other without being together. Exes do that all the time. I think they were acknowledging what they have meant to each other but that doesn't necessarily mean they're going to be together.

That makes sense. It still seemed abrupt and some dialogue may have helped, but looking at it this way works for me! Thanks! 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Robbie C. said:

By this stage Vice was running on fumes, and someone might have remembered Castillo had a wife he thought was dead but learned earlier was alive. So some bright spark thought "episode potential" even if it wasn't there. That or EJO felt there should be closure of some kind and this is the best they could come up with.

Yes, I agree the writers were desperate for storylines and at least this one answered some questions. Thanks!

OK episode, let down by the fact that the return actors were not the same. May Ying was raped right? and her son died? nice.

5/10. 

Edited by RedDragon86
  • Sad 1

• 7 months later...

Got around to rewatching this one today. My interest in it went down really fast, on one hand it was cool that Castillo got an episode, on the other hand it was so flat and boring, everything was so dark and gritty that I didn't care for it much. The flashy visuals, Don Johnson's absence, lack of good music (But Blood Money and the other one when Mei gets kidnapped were good) but it didn't feel like a Vice episode. It did feel like Golden Triangle Part III essentially and the fight with Castillo was super badass at the end! But everything else before it was uninspiring, boring and I wasn't even paying attention halfway anymore. It's no wonder I remember almost nothing from Season 5, I liked Season 4 better if I"ll be honest. No, really.

I'd probably give it a 5/10.

• 1 month later...

Goes from a mediocre episode to a great episode once Castillo starts kickin arse.  I thought it was a good episode but found myself getting bored at times.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/15/2019 at 10:13 PM, Bren10 said:

An attempt to tie up loose ends possibly for lack of ideas may be why this ep exists in the first place. Even though the other marriage is over, maybe May Ying just doesn't want to be involved with another man whose job puts him at risk. The woman has been thru a lot, after all. People can still love each other without being together. Exes do that all the time. I think they were acknowledging what they have meant to each other but that doesn't necessarily mean they're going to be together. As far as Castillo and Trudy, you have to remember he's emotionally involved in this case whether he wants to show it or not so his behavior may not be normal.

Oh, I agree for sure!  Don't think I had thought of that at the time.  Great insight and gives a new dimension to the sad ending.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RedDragon86 said:

That scene when May Ying almost gets killed and Marty saves her, is that the same indoor mall we see in French Twist and Free Verse?

No, all different.  Same look though, big atrium with some trees/shrubs.

Heart of Night - Embassy Suites near the airport

French Twist - Mayfair in Coconut Grove

Free Verse - Hamilton on the Bay condo

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, airtommy said:

No, all different.  Same look though, big atrium with some trees/shrubs.

Heart of Night - Embassy Suites near the airport

French Twist - Mayfair in Coconut Grove

Free Verse - Hamilton on the Bay condo

Thanks Tommy.

• 1 year later...

Finally...an awesome episode for the season! :dance2: This one showed that the writers could still “pop” out good episodes if they chose to do so. Sadly, for the majority of the season, they chose not to. :evil:

But, this is one of my favorites of Season 5, and it’s probably the best episode of the season...perhaps the last true awesome episode of the series! The acting, music, directing, filming locations, atmosphere, action, plot twists, etc...were superb! :clap: 

Although “Golden Triangle” from Season 1 was awesome, I found this to be even more enjoyable—it just came together so perfectly! I loved the scenes between Castillo and May Ying, and even though there were different actors playing May Ying and Ma-Sek, I actually like Rosalind Chao and James Saito in those roles better than Joan Chen and...whoever played Ma-Sek in "G.T."??

But, the acting by EJO and Rosalind Chao was heartfelt, realistic, and genuine! The ending is heart-wrenching for both Castillo and May Ying...but understandable and absolutely beautifully played out!! :glossy: However, the desire for a Leave It To Beaver ending in me (:p) likes to believe that sometime later Castillo and May Ying were able to get back together and have a second chance. :flowers:

I absolutely loved the music used in this one...the continual song Blood Money by The Church was amazing, and "hauntingly" captivating!! :radio: It truly set the atmosphere with each scene it was played in! Other awesome songs included were: The One by Joe Cocker, The Kiss by The Cure, and Dark Truths by Joan Armatrading.

This episode is just in-depth, perfectly played out, and captivating...even without much Crockett. ;) Perhaps I'm being too over-optimistic with this one...but I gave it a 10! Perhaps the ONLY episode from Season 5 that would deserve that rating! :thumbsup: I can watch it over and over, and still love it! :done:

• 2 months later...

Where is Crockett....... ?

Anyways....... a....... meh episode otherwise, 6/10 for me...... there was some nice scenery and action; and the jump back to Season 1 took of a bit of pressure from the monotone athmosphere of Season 5.

I think I could actually skip it..... even if it was watchable, it just didn't keep me engaged for the most part, and I never really was into the Castillo-May Ling relationship.

Golden Triangle actually did it much better; and felt more intresting; and was one good S1 episode.  This one feels like a "Standard" S5 episode; not one of the better ones, neither a bad one (like Miracle Piss; and Leap of crap)

• 2 weeks later...

A follow-up to one of my very favorites, "Golden Triangle."  Not as epic, of course, but it's always welcome when there's a Castillo-centric episode.  The first time I saw this, I thought it was a cheap plot twist to have Ma Sek be a baddie, but it made more sense this time.  Overall, plodding stuff.  

I wrote recently how a soap-opera serial approach is not a good idea for this show.  Sonny's criminal activity as Burnett are hand-waved away, aside from some "give it more time" tropes.  This is why every episode should be an individual entity, a self-contained slice of cool, with no looks back and none forward.  

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Jack Gretsky said:

A follow-up to one of my very favorites, "Golden Triangle."  Not as epic, of course, but it's always welcome when there's a Castillo-centric episode.  The first time I saw this, I thought it was a cheap plot twist to have Ma Sek be a baddie, but it made more sense this time.  Overall, plodding stuff.  

I wrote recently how a soap-opera serial approach is not a good idea for this show.  Sonny's criminal activity as Burnett are hand-waved away, aside from some "give it more time" tropes.  This is why every episode should be an individual entity, a self-contained slice of cool, with no looks back and none forward.  

To me this is totally unconnected to the brilliant, epic Golden Triangle episodes.

Ma Sek was a gentleman in GTP2 not some devious person inside and I didn't like how they wrote in that their little boy died.

I wish they had left this alone in the same way they should not have used the "In The Air tonight" song again in S4.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Jack Gretsky said:

I love this episode...the only one in Season 5 to warrant a 10! Typically, I agree, that soap opera and/or more drama type storylines don’t really go well in a show like MV. But, with this particular scenario with Castillo, it seemed to work! 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Jack Gretsky said:

Yes, I knew you going to get to this one Jack Gretsky, so it's been on my mind. Like Gretsky, I think it's a great one, right down to the furious cold open, Trudy fixing food for May Ying, and the bittersweet ending (Castillo has so much heart, and  Ma Sek's wimpy jealousy cuts no ice with Marty; I hope May Ying came back to Marty, and in my mind, eventually she did, since that's the love of his life, and love rules:happy:).

Crockett was sidelined for this one, but his timing gets better later.

Also, I just can't get over how much Ma Sek looks like Robert Redford; they're practically twins!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, RedDragon86 said:

To me this is totally unconnected to the brilliant, epic Golden Triangle episodes.

Ma Sek was a gentleman in GTP2 not some devious person inside and I didn't like how they wrote in that their little boy died.

I wish they had left this alone in the same way they should not have used the "In The Air tonight" song again in S4.

Yeah, I definitely liked Ma Sek #1; Ma Sek #2 was a sleaze-o-rama (ha ha, Tubbs:cool:). On the other hand, I like both May Yings.

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Eillio Martin Imbasciati said:

Yes, I knew you going to get to this one Jack Gretsky, so it's been on my mind. Like Gretsky, I think it's a great one, right down to the furious cold open, Trudy fixing food for May Ying, and the bittersweet ending (Castillo has so much heart, and  Ma Sek's wimpy jealousy cuts no ice with Marty; I hope May Ying came back to Marty, and in my mind, eventually she did, since that's the love of his life, and love rules:happy:).

Crockett was sidelined for this one, but his timing gets better later.

Also, I just can't get over how much Ma Sek looks like Robert Redford; they're practically twins!

But does May Ying come back as Joan Chen or Rosalind Chao? Perhaps Vivian Wu next time! 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jack Gretsky said:

But does May Ying come back as Joan Chen or Rosalind Chao? Perhaps Vivian Wu next time! 

Wouldn't matter to me, although I joke that Castillo lives with both May Yings (I live there as well, and I ask him which May Ying he's taking to dinner, and he staredown's me, tense music plays, and says, "Both"; it's another offbeat thing I have fun with!). 

• Haha 2

13 minutes ago, Eillio Martin Imbasciati said:

Wouldn't matter to me, although I joke that Castillo lives with both May Yings (I live there as well, and I ask him which May Ying he's taking to dinner, and he staredown's me, tense music plays, and says, "Both"; it's another offbeat thing I have fun with!). 

Now there's a show!  That's a show. 

17 minutes ago, Jack Gretsky said:

Now there's a show!  That's a show. 

Yeah, it's a half-hour buddy comedy called "I Heart Bushido" that can be dead serious (get a serious guy like Castillo and surround him with funny, it's funny). It opens the Friday Night lineup for "Rickert Fences" and "Tepper Your Heart", which stars Danny Tepper & Robert Tepper ("Friday Night Videos" will also return, and since I like Michael Talbott & Saundra Santiago hosting, we're bringing them back. So, along with being a TV star, I'm the new Warren Littlefield, or at least the new Bob Balaban, who we plan to work in anyway!) .

Edited by Eillio Martin Imbasciati
misspelling, forgotten word
  • Haha 2

11 minutes ago, Eillio Martin Imbasciati said:

Yeah, it's a half-hour buddy comedy called "I Heart Bushido" that can be dead serious (get a serious guy like Castillo and surround him with funny, it's funny). It opens the Friday Night lineup for "Rickert Fences" and "Tepper Your Heart", which stars Danny Tepper & Robert Tepper ("Friday Night Videos" will also return, and since I like Michael Talbott & Saundra Santiago hosting, we're bringing them back. So, along with being a TV star, I'm the new Warren Littlefield, or at least the new Bob Balaban, who we plan to work in anyway!) .

Dang, mang!! You must be a true Seinfeld fan to have gotten my obscure quote.  (I hope you pictured the two index fingers tapping the tablecloth as well.)  

And, yes, as a cable-deprived 1980s youth, I relied on Friday Night Videos for my music vid appreciation. (Tony Danza hosting the night they showed "What You Need" - "This next video is by INXS, which is appropriate.." [Tony points to himself.] Yeah, that Tony Danza.  Such an excessive dude!) 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Jack Gretsky said:

Dang, mang!! You must be a true Seinfeld fan to have gotten my obscure quote.  (I hope you pictured the two index fingers tapping the tablecloth as well.)  

And, yes, as a cable-deprived 1980s youth, I relied on Friday Night Videos for my music vid appreciation. (Tony Danza hosting the night they showed "What You Need" - "This next video is by INXS, which is appropriate.." [Tony points to himself.] Yeah, that Tony Danza.  Such an excessive dude!) 

What also helped is that I read "Top of the Rock" by Warren Littlefield as well, in which Littlefield mentions the gag at a NBC season event when Bob Balaban pretends to be Littlefield, like he did in "Seinfeld":). I've definitely watched a ton of "Seinfeld" though, and even gifted my former contact in Gainesville "The Seinfeld Chronicles" for X-mas 2019 (for ten cents at the village of Angola library!!!:xmas:). I never viewed that myself, or know if she did (I saw it sitting on her living room table last year, maybe she got around to it).

Yeah, Tony Danza, what a card; when I was in 4th grade, we had a project in which we wrote to a celebrity. Our group consisted of Bob (NOT Balaban:)), Eddie, and myself, and we wrote to Alyssa Milano. Heck, nowadays I'd probably choose Judith Light (nothing against Milano, I think she's solid); when I think of great television actresses, Judith Light is one of the first performers that come to my mind (I especially like the 1996 TV movie titled "A Strange Affair", which also stars our man William Russ as Light's character's lover. I don't normally go for affairs, but Jay Thomas's character cheats on Light's character left & right then gets sick--she nurses him, Russ & him become wary pals--, so I totally understand it. Excellent work by everyone there as far as I'm concerned).

Edited by Eillio Martin Imbasciati
misspelling
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Eillio Martin Imbasciati said:

What also helped is that I read "Top of the Rock" by Warren Littlefield as well, in which Littlefield mentions the gag at a NBC season event when Bob Balaban pretends to be Littlefield, like he did in "Seinfeld":). I've definitely watched a ton of "Seinfeld" though, and even gifted my former contact in Gainesville "The Seinfeld Chronicles" for X-mas 2019 (for ten cents at the village of Angola library!!!:xmas:). I never viewed that myself, or know if she did (I saw it sitting on her living room table last year, maybe she got around to it).

Yeah, Tony Danza, what a card; when I was in 4th grade, we had a project in which we wrote to a celebrity. Our group consisted of Bob (NOT Balaban:)), Eddie, and myself, and we wrote to Alyssa Milano. Heck, nowadays I'd probably choose Judith Light (nothing against Milano, I think she's solid); when I think of great television actresses, Judith Light is one of the first performers that come to my mind (I especially like the 1996 TV movie titled "A Strange Affair", which also stars our man William Russ as Light's character's lover. I don't normally go for affairs, but Jay Thomas's character cheats on Light's character left & right then gets sick--she nurses him, Russ & him become wary pals--, so I totally understand it. Excellent work by everyone there as far as I'm concerned).

Yes.  Rusty brings gravitas to anything he's in.  Even Boy Meets World!

• Like 1