No new partner for Switek?

summer84

I've read that he also was getting into boxing in real life.

I've never had the impression he thought he could become a big star or carry a series or movie on his own.  But if he stayed on MV, not only would he continue to have a tiny, non-challenging part (in which he couldn't really flex his acting muscles), but he also would have minimal chances to do anything else as long as the series lasted.  EJO had contractual freedom to do any other projects he wanted to, even during the regular shooting season.  But Don Johnson could only do other projects during the hiatuses (is that a word?!?)  I think the other actors had similar restrictions--the producers wanted them available exclusively to the show whenever it was shooting.  So Diehl couldn't flex his acting muscles on the show and he also had very limited opportunities to be seen doing anything else.  I can see why he was frustrated, although I agree that whatever salary he was making on MV was more money than he could have earned in most other acting gigs at the time.  Leaving the show would free him up to audition for other character parts in Hollywood or New York.

It does seem like most actors, even the most successful, don't want to just keep playing the same part.  So money is a big motivator but at some point the creative soul is looking for something else as well.

both good points timm, and vicegirl. but personnally, unless i had a groundbreaking idea in my mind, if i were paid a lot to do nothing, i think i'd stay like that. even if there are few counterparts

15 hours ago, vicegirl85 said:

I've read that he also was getting into boxing in real life.

I've never had the impression he thought he could become a big star or carry a series or movie on his own.  But if he stayed on MV, not only would he continue to have a tiny, non-challenging part (in which he couldn't really flex his acting muscles), but he also would have minimal chances to do anything else as long as the series lasted.  EJO had contractual freedom to do any other projects he wanted to, even during the regular shooting season.  But Don Johnson could only do other projects during the hiatuses (is that a word?!?)  I think the other actors had similar restrictions--the producers wanted them available exclusively to the show whenever it was shooting.  So Diehl couldn't flex his acting muscles on the show and he also had very limited opportunities to be seen doing anything else.  I can see why he was frustrated, although I agree that whatever salary he was making on MV was more money than he could have earned in most other acting gigs at the time.  Leaving the show would free him up to audition for other character parts in Hollywood or New York.

It does seem like most actors, even the most successful, don't want to just keep playing the same part.  So money is a big motivator but at some point the creative soul is looking for something else as well.

I think you covered the points well - he seemed to have less to do as the show went on.. however there are those mumblings of costs in mid Season 3... so who knows.. I think Diehl, who I like, wanted to leave and this saved on costs so both parties seemed happy.

3 hours ago, jpm1 said:

both good points timm, and vicegirl. but personnally, unless i had a groundbreaking idea in my mind, if i were paid a lot to do nothing, i think i'd stay like that. even if there are few counterparts

He was paid a lot to do nothing which was a shame as when you watch arguably his biggest role in the show in "Down For The Count" (Part 1)  he did a fine job.

Am 2.8.2016 um 22:23 schrieb Tom:

DJ grossed 30,000 per episode until start of season 3. Then he went on strike during shooting of El Viejo and demanded 100k per episode.

After some tough negotiations they increased him to 90k and PMT to 50k. I have no info about later increases thus I assume that stayed until end of the series. I don't think they would have increased that later given the lower ratings and exploding budgets in season 4 and 5.

Interesting. So in other words, we also have to "thank" the main actors for MV going down the tubes due to exploding costs?

As for Diehl - to be honest, I don't think he was much of an actor in MV. As much as I liked him and his presence and his partnership with Switek there wasn't actually much to his role and acting. Switek had a lot more depth and emotion in comparison. I'm not sure if just the scripts are to blame for that or if Diehl's acting is generally a bit lacking or both. It could also be that from S2 on his disillusionment (?) and boredom spilled over to his acting. 

Edited by Den Taylor

vor 2 Stunden schrieb Den Taylor:

Interesting. So in other words, we also have to "thank" the main actors for MV going down the tubes due to exploding costs. 

I don’t agree with that. With an episode Budget of 1.2-1.4m USD These salary increases accounted for 1-2% of overall spending and were less than they spent for music rights of songs used. Beside the fact that I find their salaries ridiculously low compared to show‘s success, going by today‘s standards main actors salaries are breathtaking 20-50% of total budget. Movies with a budget of 100+m pay out 10m+ for one starring role plus percentage of ticket sales, let alone the 1m per episode for each Big Bang Theory main cast!

Edited by Tom
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...