Daytona deerest

Bigsarg

16 minutes ago, Dadrian said:

Any shows in the north Georgia area? :dance2:

Next one I’m doing is still in the south Ga area 

1145DDD2-3F13-47B9-A7BB-DE25073BC20F.jpeg

• Like 1

On ‎3‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 9:46 PM, Sonny-Burnett said:

I'm PMing you now with contact details. I spoke to a guy there several years back about my Zenith wheels, and he remembered working on the wheels for the Vice Show cars. I believe he said they made 4 sets of wheels for the 2 show cars. Zenith as you probably know is no longer in business but this company does work on refurbishment of these wheels still today. 

SB - Were the wheels for the show cars regular production wheels, and if so, why would they have made them specifically for the show cars?  I wonder if all Zenith wheels were made-to-order???  My wheels have the following markings on the back: "ZENITH WIRE WHEELS" and "CAMPBELL CALIF" WITH "750" above the Campbell Calif and "A3" above "14201".  I wonder if the numbers are a date code or a wheel model number.  All the wheels seem to have the same markings.

10 hours ago, CameraDaytona said:

SB - Were the wheels for the show cars regular production wheels, and if so, why would they have made them specifically for the show cars?  I wonder if all Zenith wheels were made-to-order???  My wheels have the following markings on the back: "ZENITH WIRE WHEELS" and "CAMPBELL CALIF" WITH "750" above the Campbell Calif and "A3" above "14201".  I wonder if the numbers are a date code or a wheel model number.  All the wheels seem to have the same markings.

When I talked to Zennith. The company has changed its name. They have the tooling machines to make the correct rim. However they would have to be made for you. They do not have them on the shelf. In the 80s it was a common rim and they had them in stock is how it was explained to me. The guy said that he thinks they still had the paperwork on the Miami Vice car rims  

Dayton also said just about the same thing. They also had to make them when you ordered them. Took about 2 months to get 

On 4/18/2018 at 10:22 PM, CameraDaytona said:

HI there CD, nice to hear from you again! I've not removed my wheels as yet to try out tires but I will certainly look for markings when I do. I can also PM or email you the contact info for the employees who used to work at Zenith, if that would help you?   A guess on these codes is that they may be model number codes but that is only a guess. 

I think Bigsarg is right about the wheels being production stock items back in the day because they sold in volume but these former employees could confirm. 

On 4/19/2018 at 8:52 AM, Bigsarg said:

When I talked to Zennith. The company has changed its name. They have the tooling machines to make the correct rim. However they would have to be made for you. They do not have them on the shelf. In the 80s it was a common rim and they had them in stock is how it was explained to me. The guy said that he thinks they still had the paperwork on the Miami Vice car rims  

Dayton also said just about the same thing. They also had to make them when you ordered them. Took about 2 months to get 

Charlie also said he had some Vice related items laying around that were sent to the now deceased owner, but that he was unable to find them. I have been asking about these whenever I call but so far no luck. 

Space is such a premium in these cars that my car show board was really causing an issue for travel. I think I solved it by making a case that has 2 pieces of 1/4 foam and outdoor carpet on each side of the board for protection. 

014DE39A-8ADA-4C4D-9A32-F148CEED561D.jpeg

8655F416-2807-4B4A-A1E6-304C743D82A0.jpeg

C53D05BC-D08B-4499-8A5B-ABB9C0C87B20.jpeg

54525409-4B56-4FE8-8096-5C17F4484738.jpeg

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, vicegirl85 said:

Liking your lil pet gator there :)

Thxs. I’m going to get a colar with ELVIS on it. I think it will complete the display at car shows. 

• Like 1

Now he’s talking. Sailing it is. Me and Elvis JR will be heading over to the sailboat tomorrow. I’ll keep you guys posted on how well he handles a day of sailing 

603B3CA6-66A8-403F-A4CE-D4615752FC08.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Elvis Jr looks a lot like his dad  

EJ enjoyed his sailing. He gets a bit carried away and excited in the cockpit

Also, EJ is a bit of a bed hog. Lol

3C302837-B0B0-418A-BB4D-8CDCF8DDB6D0.jpeg

716CD7BF-B52D-4061-976E-8299FBCBD153.jpeg

9D3C2937-9A53-495E-994D-EBC91E8A6F69.jpeg

7574AB5B-7747-4554-A55B-FDE295ECCA53.jpeg

Edited by Bigsarg
Typo
  • Like 1

Ok. Back to being serious. If you’re  like me, cleaning the wire rims is a must, but it sucks beyond belief. Having to clean the rims will even keep the car in the garage if the weather is just so so instead of taking her out for a cruise  

Here is the solution for a touchless cleaning of those beautiful rims. 

Using as directed, and just rinse away the road and brake dirt. Don’t even have to use a rag to go in between the spokes. 

If you’ve neglected your rims a while use a wire rim brush the first time to get them clean. But after that you will just spray and rinse. I never touch my rims unless I’m going to a car show then I do 2 applications on each rim. Of course I have to clean between spokes for the show. But it’s really not that bad. 

I do recommend a good spry wax when you do a deep cleaning between the spokes (for shows or every 4 months) and cannauba wax on the outside of the rim. It really brings on the shine. 

Here’s a good test. Clean one rim (back) the way you normally do. Then spray the front (always the dirtiest) rim and 15 seconds later rinse away the product and dirt. Stand back and compare, the front rim will look much better than the one you cleaned with soap and a brush. 

The last picture is how much dirt came off from between the spokes. This is the last rim, not the first. She’s ready to drive to the show. I’ll have to clean the rims again when I get to the show this weekend . But it won’t be to bad. This cleaning here is after 800 miles between deep cleanings. And, as you can see I didn’t use a brush, EJ wouldn’t stop playing with it anyway  

Hope this helps and makes you drive that classic even more. These cars are meant to be seen and not hiding in a garage under a car cover for months at a time. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

Edited by Bigsarg
Edit picture

I just ordered some of that stuff a few days ago because of your recommendation.  My black '72 'Vette has very similar wire  wheels as your car does.  Can't wait to use it!  Thanks for the recco

Drove 2 hours to a car show in Pelham Ga today. Got there and detailed the car from 7-12. It was spotless. Rims were perfect. 

Took overall best of show in class. Somehow I was moved from modified to foreign. I beat out two real Ferraris. I registered as modified and made sure that was the class I had on 

my paper for the windshield. I wasn’t there when the judge started the inspection, walked up in the middle. My bad, I should have asked. The two Ferrari owners didn’t know about the car being a replica. I was waiting, but all I got was praises from them. 

EJ was a big hit. I think he had a great time lol

B88AE949-C6C9-4252-9C76-5E721110509D.jpeg

DD019CEC-753D-4356-B01C-F7E5B71C8439.jpeg

17BF12FD-1D6C-4B4D-A26D-8212FC949CB3.jpeg

B316E134-CB63-4BA1-AAFC-3A394334DB39.jpeg

4C57D74F-550A-4CA4-8694-C0CF06E493BD.jpeg

31453A87-C4D3-4B39-AF2E-DDB98B03FEE8.jpeg

Edited by Bigsarg
Update pictures
  • Like 4

Congrats on the trophy! That looks like fun. They close down Queen St. in the summer here in Niagara Falls and have a show just like that one. I miss going to shows as I don't have a hot rod anymore. I am so focused on the boat that I don't even go to cruise night anymore. We get about 400-600 cars out on a Friday night and they have hotdogs and live DJ at a huge parking lot here in Niagara. I haven't been for a while as the cars are mostly local and I know everyone already. Kind of miss the social thing though.

We have a HUGE car show in Welland at the fairgrounds every Oct. called the "Last chance campout" It attracts cars from all over Canada and the US and has been going for almost forty years steady now. I used to attend but now I just go to peruse.

Sad news......the guy selling the Red Daytona turned out to be a scammer. He tried to get me to use his delivery company and I said no and suggested that we use my guy, and I never heard from him again. I told him I had three inches of money burning a hole in my pocket and I suppose he didn't want it that badly?????

Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyy to many a$$holes out there trying to scam off Daytona's. I have found four already. I ratted them out to the webmaster as frauds and they don't seem to care as the adds show up month after month with the same bullshit cars for sale?

• Sad 1

On 5/5/2018 at 4:45 PM, Bigsarg said:

Drove 2 hours to a car show in Pelham Ga today. Got there and detailed the car from 7-12. It was spotless. Rims were perfect. 

Took overall best of show in class. Somehow I was moved from modified to foreign. I beat out two real Ferraris. I registered as modified and made sure that was the class I had on 

my paper for the windshield. I wasn’t there when the judge started the inspection, walked up in the middle. My bad, I should have asked. The two Ferrari owners didn’t know about the car being a replica. I was waiting, but all I got was praises from them. 

EJ was a big hit. I think he had a great time lol

B88AE949-C6C9-4252-9C76-5E721110509D.jpeg

DD019CEC-753D-4356-B01C-F7E5B71C8439.jpeg

17BF12FD-1D6C-4B4D-A26D-8212FC949CB3.jpeg

B316E134-CB63-4BA1-AAFC-3A394334DB39.jpeg

4C57D74F-550A-4CA4-8694-C0CF06E493BD.jpeg

31453A87-C4D3-4B39-AF2E-DDB98B03FEE8.jpeg

Hey Bigsarg, I'm sure it's been asked before, but I was just curious why you go with the round headlights instead of the rectangle ones per the show. 

My car had the drop down headlight doors which the MV car had tented plexy which resembled the HL doors in most shots. I wanted to go with the plexy, and I went round and round on either the round (pun intended) or square HLs. Every time I watched the MV car it looked like the front was closed completely in, as if it had HL doors. Every time I saw a pic of the real car it looked so much more Italian with the round HLs. 

I figured I’d keep my round HLs and put the plexy with the white lines on and if I didn’t like it, I could put tented plexy and it would look like it had HL doors again.  Because it used to look like the MV front end  

I’m glad I went with this look. Having the HL doors look compared to the clear plexy really makes the car look a lot better in person now. 

Abd, besides I wanted something different than I had for the last ten years. 

29B69200-1DD7-46EE-9DAA-03CF02A4776E.jpeg

209ABD08-34BC-4572-8990-68FE3B05296C.jpeg

• Like 3

I like the drop down doors also and agree 100% that it makes the car's lines look cleaner.  Most everything we do on these cars is personal preference, at least in my opinion. 

Your car looks great.  :thumbsup:

@Bigsarg Would the shows allow you to quietly play songs from Miami Vice at your booth? If so, I could make you a playlist of the most recognizable tunes in whatever format you like. Maybe you already do this. :cool:

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/9/2018 at 2:32 PM, Dadrian said:

@Bigsarg Would the shows allow you to quietly play songs from Miami Vice at your booth? If so, I could make you a playlist of the most recognizable tunes in whatever format you like. Maybe you already do this. :cool:

I do play the soundtrack on my Bluetooth thru the stereo. However I would like to be able to do a feedback loop of the Daytona seens on my old iPhone 7. Play the loop while the phone is setting up on the windshield wiper arms. But I don’t know how to download videos from YouTube onto my pictures on the phone. If you, or anyone knows how to do that plse help a brother out. 

I am researching how to use servos and Arduino to animate Elvis Jr. I want to use a motion (IR) censor to lift his head up when someone walks by. Maybe even have EJ move his tail too. I. Think I’m figuring it out. But if someone is knowledgeable about this type of animation with servos, help a brother. Thxs

• 1 month later...