Songs that should've played on VICE

MTVcops

2 hours ago, Marc said:

really good melodic rock and catchy chorus, they're like American version of Alphaville.

A personal “should’ve” favorite of mine, as well :thumbsup:

8 hours ago, Dadrian said:

A personal “should’ve” favorite of mine, as well :thumbsup:

It really is a fine tune - would have fitted into the show considerably well.:hippie:

On 6/28/2018 at 11:39 AM, summer84 said:

Yeah the pop rock band/duo with leading vocals by Peter Kingsbery and Anna LaCazio were largely successful with their music in the European countries. Mostly popular during the 80's. I remember around the time, I discovered the band, I had listened and checked out different 80's songs and a music video by them was constantly showing up on YouTube, so I decided finally to have a look and I am glad, I did. I liked them so much, I created a playlist of their songs on my YouTube channel. They have some really great songs and I also like their visually artistic videos. Good choice, I could definitely imagine this song in a MV episode. 

Thankyou for sharing the detailed info and yes I could have seen this in a Miami Vice episode with our hero’s.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Daytona74 said:

I think this would have fit the slightly more raw, not yet wholely polished vibe of some S1 episodes.

I agree. I also think it fits even better without the vocals:

This also would have been so great for many a S1 or S2 episode... :thumbsup: Wikipedia says it was released in October of 1984, and became a top 5 Billboard charting song soon after. Would have been perfect timing...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Daytona74 said:

This also would have been so great for many a S1 or S2 episode... :thumbsup: Wikipedia says it was released in October of 1984, and became a top 5 Billboard charting song soon after. Would have been perfect timing...

Love this song! I can also see it used in either Season 1 and 2! :thumbsup:

There’s another “should’ve” on that album (that I’ve shared before) that even has the Rockman guitar distortion effect that Jan Hammer used throughout his MV tenure:

• Like 1

one more thing about "Rio"...

It should not be forgotten that Duran Duran were rocking pastel linen suits in the video to the song... aboard a sailboat, along tropical beaches (in Antigua), no less. A whole two years before Miami Vice came to be.

Some anecdotes claim that Michael Mann got the idea for pastel clothing from a random trip to a paint store. But I think the "Rio" video may have had more to do with it than anybody will want to admit... ;)

One thing's for sure IMO... if this video had come out in 1985, people definitely would have said that Duran Duran ripped off Miami Vice.

Note in particular Simon Le Bon's white blazer with a pink T-shirt around 1:40 minutes... with your eyes half closed, he almost looks like Crockett on the St. Vitus :)

Edited by Daytona74
  • Like 2

On 6/30/2018 at 4:23 PM, Daytona74 said:

one more thing about "Rio"...

It should not be forgotten that Duran Duran were rocking pastel linen suits in the video to the song... aboard a sailboat, along tropical beaches (in Antigua), no less. A whole two years before Miami Vice came to be.

Some anecdotes claim that Michael Mann got the idea for pastel clothing from a random trip to a paint store. But I think the "Rio" video may have had more to do with it than anybody will want to admit... ;)

One thing's for sure IMO... if this video had come out in 1985, people definitely would have said that Duran Duran ripped off Miami Vice.

Note in particular Simon Le Bon's white blazer with a pink T-shirt around 1:40 minutes... with your eyes half closed, he almost looks like Crockett on the St. Vitus :)

Incredible find!  You're definitely right that this would have been labeled a shameless MV ripoff if it had come out in 1985.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, airtommy said:

Incredible find!  You're definitely right that this would have been labeled a shameless MV ripoff if it had come out in 1985.

I agree it is very Vice-like ! :cool: :thumbsup:

I kept thinking the last couple of days, where did I see a yellow linen suit with a yellow tie and blue shirt on the St. Vitus... and it just came to me: :)

3.png

Close enough... ;) :)

• Haha 1

not something I would usually listen to but stumbled across it. some one hit wonder I think.

Giuffria’s first album was so cool it made a guest appearance on Miami Vice. There, on a wall in a crooked nightclub owner’s dayglo office. Bold as brass, a black slab with the trademark silver G;

I found this mention when checking if they were ever used.

• 2 weeks later...

Since it's already been discussed that the biggest names in 80's music were never featured on Vice (Michael Jackson, Prince, Madonna, George Michael, and Van Halen) I guess I gotta dig into the well a little bit.

I think this would've been "perfect" (hehe) for one of the more light-hearted episodes during seasons 1-2.

53 minutes ago, TylerDurden389 said:

Since it's already been discussed that the biggest names in 80's music were never featured on Vice (Michael Jackson, Prince, Madonna, George Michael, and Van Halen) I guess I gotta dig into the well a little bit.

I think this would've been "perfect" (hehe) for one of the more light-hearted episodes during seasons 1-2.

Agreed! Would have been great in a night club scene. I have this on a “should’ve” playlist somewhere. 

Once again, don’t forget Madonna’s “Gambler” was used on “The Fix”. :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...

This is the one fitting Duran Duran song and a lot more appropriate than Rio which is way too popular and overused. If you listen to Simon's intro in this video he talks about what the lyrics mean. It came out in 1988 and would've suited the later episodes.

• Like 1