This Week In Miami Vice History

mvnyc

5 hours ago, Daytona74 said:

And the 80s, and 80s pop culture itself, certainly would have been that little bit less colorful without Miami Vice.

I was 22 when this epic series premiered and men's fashions immediately went from bland to bold.  Unfortunately, there was a backlash in the early 90s and boring came back in style.

Well I only really got into it during the down slope of its success and popularity over here as well. As a 13-year-old, I already thought Miami Vice was really kind of cool... but then at 15, in 1989, when we got a VCR and I was able to tape rerun episodes off ARD's regional affiliates, it's no exaggeration to say I became hooked. I would be out with friends on a  Friday night, having carefully set the VCR to record the episode that was on that night, and then I would always pedal home on my bicycle with excitement because I couldn't wait to watch the episode. I've still got those VHS video tapes, but I'm not sure they've survived well... after 25 years of collecting dust in the basement... :p

My friends always thought that my excitement over Miami Vice was a bit odd, especially when I went out and bought a bright white, budget, knock off department store blazer with my allowance money... but what did they know. :)

Edited by Daytona74
  • Like 3

The great thing about Miami Vice, even in the pilot episode, was that they always gave fresh talent a chance. People who could be a year out of film or acting school, and for whom working on a Miami Vice episode was really their first big gig... just think of Bruce Willis... his main source of income was being a bartender before Miami Vice... :cool:

Edited by Daytona74

22 minutes ago, Daytona74 said:

The great thing about Miami Vice, even in the pilot episode, was that they always gave fresh talent a chance. People who could be a year out of film or acting school, and for whom working on a Miami Vice episode was really their first big gig... just think of Bruce Willis... his main source of income was being a bartender before Miami Vice... :cool:

I don't know whether that was good or bad thing. *Has flashbacks of Danny Sullivan in Florence Italy":wuerg:

It was awesome to see so many before-they-were-famous guest stars on vice though. 

vor 6 Stunden schrieb Vincent Hanna:

It was awesome to see so many before-they-were-famous guest stars on vice though. 

Kind of ironic then that many of them only got on the show in season three, when its popularity sadly began to wane.

Is it just me, or did the biggest wave of future big stars in their first roles hit Miami Vice in the third season? You had Steve Buscemi, Liam Neeson, Lawrence Fishburne, Wesley Snipes, Viggo Mortensen, Annette Benning...

20 hours ago, Daytona74 said:

Kind of ironic then that many of them only got on the show in season three, when its popularity sadly began to wane.

Is it just me, or did the biggest wave of future big stars in their first roles hit Miami Vice in the third season? You had Steve Buscemi, Liam Neeson, Lawrence Fishburne, Wesley Snipes, Viggo Mortensen, Annette Benning...

Yes huge Season for guest stars :Dfor a great Season 

13 minutes ago, AzVice said:

just showed up in my facebook timeline from MTV Classic !

Thankyou ! for that heads up - I found MTV classics and liked and there is a nice tribute on there ! 

I put on my timeline - any other Vicers on facebook?! :D