Pencils?

Stinger390X

Have you ever noticed the coffee mug full of pencils on Crockett's desk?

I have been watching many episodes from season one through four recently and noticed that all the cast uses PENCILS when filing reports? I know it's a show and everything, but do you think with all the work on authenticity of firearms, tactics, locations etc that they could represent police work in PEN?

I noticed that Castillo is the only one using a pen, and a fountain pen for that matter, as I noticed he snaps a cap on it a few times. In the "Legal world" I thought all things representing legal issues should be written in Pen!   Pencil seems too trite and erasable and far from legal!

I know this is a minor detail but what are your thoughts on this issue?  Please chime in with your thoughts........

• Like 1

• Administrators

Hmm, I never noticed it before. I did however, notice that the coffee pot behind Crockett is always half full.  Think it's fresh?

Seriously though, I will keep an eye on it from now on.

38 minutes ago, Stinger390X said:

Have you ever noticed the coffee mug full of pencils on Crockett's desk?

I have been watching many episodes from season one through four recently and noticed that all the cast uses PENCILS when filing reports? I know it's a show and everything, but do you think with all the work on authenticity of firearms, tactics, locations etc that they could represent police work in PEN?

I noticed that Castillo is the only one using a pen, and a fountain pen for that matter, as I noticed he snaps a cap on it a few times. In the "Legal world" I thought all things representing legal issues should be written in Pen!   Pencil seems too trite and erasable and far from legal!

I know this is a minor detail but what are your thoughts on this issue?  Please chime in with your thoughts........

Very interesting post !

It's not something, I've paid attention to, but... :)

It would be right using a pen instead of a pencil, because as you mentioned pencils are easier eraseble and also doesn't look professional either. And can be hard to read.

From watching some of these episodes to me it looks like the squad were using pens a lot. Even though they had pencils on their desks.

Some examples from "Brother's Keeper" and "Out Where The Buses don't Run."

20johzd.jpg

2e38kg4.jpg

5zg9z.jpg

xm79tk.jpg

In this shot he's holding a pencil, but in the next shot, he switches to a pen. In the same scene.

nwe9nc.jpg

2chro5e.jpg

Two scenes from "OWTBDR"

oh1hyo.jpg

5035at.jpg

Written in pen, the file on Hank Weldon.

It looks to me, that the team were using mostly pencils, when taking notes. And what I recall from other episodes, they used a typewriter or the computer to document something of importance. And signed or filled in with a pen, which again would be the right way to do it. :) 

• Like 2

• Administrators

My uncle was a cop in NJ back when MV was airing. For one of my birthday's back then I got a stack of blank police reports along with one of his old uniform shirts, pr24, flashlight, handcuff case... The forms at that time we're all carbon copies about 3-4 pages each. I'm guessing that pencils didn't matter when filling out carbon copied forms back then. You can't erase the carbon copies? I dunno any other explanation. 

• Like 2

Good point Timm!

Yes carbon copies could be done with a popsicle stick or anything for that matter but the top page would be blank.

I just noticed that Crocket and Tubbs used pencils on many forms in numerous episodes. I can understand Crocket grabbing a pencil to jot notes down or a phone number etc, but the actual police files should be in Pen.

Thanks for the great pics of personell using Pens Summer84! Check out some other episodes where Crocket is using pencils for forms over many seasons.

I'm getting into season five now so I'll keep my eyes open..........

• Like 1

First of all, I love this topic!  :D 

Second, I love the "carbon copies" reference.  I had forgotten all about those.

My favorite writing utensil scene appears to be a pencil:

prod80.jpg

• Like 1

7 hours ago, airtommy said:

First of all, I love this topic!  :D 

Second, I love the "carbon copies" reference.  I had forgotten all about those.

My favorite writing utensil scene appears to be a pencil:

prod80.jpg

Great "The Prodigal Son" - this to me is 1985!

You know Summer84 .....you mentioned computers!

I recently watched "Out Where the Busses Don't Run" and had to laugh when I saw that old antiquated machine with the 5 1/2" floppy. I found it hilarious as I also had an old XT that I built way back when???? I then got a Commodore 64 (thought I was moving up in the world?) as we were using them at University I was attending. Big mistake to buy that but it was attiquate.

I love watching the old computer scenes that were in many MV episodes from Trudy looking stuff up for the guys, to the special friend of Crocketts who worked at the DMV or something on a big ass IBM console.(forgot the episode?)

Think of todays cell phones. There is more horsepower in a "wrist watch" than what was used to land on the moon! We have come so far from carbon copies, pencils, typewriters (and of course whiteout for our mistakes) and computers with word processors, that we take little heed of simplicity like a pencil!

I'm just afraid of the next generation if they are not taught "Cursive" Writing! It won't matter if it's in pencil or pen as kids won't be able to read it!

• Like 1

Had to laugh...............................................

Watched "Child's Play" last night from season 4. There was a scene where Crockett walks to his desk and Rico is struggling so hard to sharpen a pencil he actually broke the screw mounts off the pencil sharpener which held it to the desk! Rico then tosses the pencil down in disgust.