Problems With the Blu-Ray Release!

Ferrariman

On 5/21/2018 at 11:54 AM, Retro80sfan said:

Some of the episodes on my Blu-ray set wouldn't even play all the way through, even though I bought it brand new. Thought that was a thing of the past with the original double-sided disc releases from Universal! :thumbsdown:

Sorry to hear that - I’ve had no issue at all so far I might add... :p

• 2 weeks later...

Well, impressed with the picture quality as I watched the pilot last night. You can see linen is linen and silk is silk! 

Blu Ray player is new too, so i’m learning the settings on that at the same time. Got rid of a bit of ‘night scene’ grainy ness.

Brings it all back to life, guess I’ll just have to watch every episode again :D

• Like 1

• Administrators

That reminds me - Has anybody heard anything from that French company's Blu Ray releases? 

9 hours ago, Buddy Love said:

Well, impressed with the picture quality as I watched the pilot last night. You can see linen is linen and silk is silk! 

Blu Ray player is new too, so i’m learning the settings on that at the same time. Got rid of a bit of ‘night scene’ grainy ness.

Brings it all back to life, guess I’ll just have to watch every episode again :D

I’m pleased they are certainly the best we have seen in a release picture wise!

5 hours ago, James said:

That reminds me - Has anybody heard anything from that French company's Blu Ray releases? 

There’s nothing on amazon.fr  at all presently.

• 1 month later...

well if you are French, and love the series you gotta be patient, real patient. Elephant films announced a Blu-ray remastering, but can't find anything online. plus while making a search on Google came across a statement of bankrupcy of an Elephant fillms company in France in may 2018, that was specialized in movies, and TV series, while their Facebook page seems still very active. confused.. but patient (have no other choice :))

• Administrators
9 hours ago, jpm1 said:

well if you are French, and love the series you gotta be patient, real patient. Elephant films announced a Blu-ray remastering, but can't find anything online. plus while making a search on Google came across a statement of bankrupcy of an Elephant fillms company in France in may 2018, that was specialized in movies, and TV series, while their Facebook page seems still very active. confused.. but patient (have no other choice :))

Not French, just hoping they'll be in English and have all the issues fixed. :p 

Yeah, it is confusing. Are they bankrupt or not. :)  Maybe it's not happening anymore, looking at their Facebook feed it looks like they're focusing on classic films now. Like 50s and pre-50s. Possibly Public Domain movies since they don't have to pay for licensing and all that. That's a shame. 

On 7/23/2018 at 12:14 AM, jpm1 said:

came across a statement of bankrupcy of an Elephant fillms company in France in may 2018

Interesting, any chance you could scroll back through your history and find this and link us to it please? I've just googled it without success :)

On 7/23/2018 at 9:35 AM, James said:

Not French, just hoping they'll be in English and have all the issues fixed. :p 

Yeah, it is confusing. Are they bankrupt or not. :)  Maybe it's not happening anymore, looking at their Facebook feed it looks like they're focusing on classic films now. Like 50s and pre-50s. Possibly Public Domain movies since they don't have to pay for licensing and all that. That's a shame. 

Yes and to release Miami Vice on blu in France would probrably be very costly for them? Especially if they have been or are bankrupt.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks, well it looks like that's the end of that particular avenue of possibility for a set with less errors. Maybe Koch in Germany might do it?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, bodie said:

Thanks, well it looks like that's the end of that particular avenue of possibility for a set with less errors. Maybe Koch in Germany might do it?

I asked Koch media last year and there were no plans of releasing MV on Blu-ray. :(

• Sad 2

1 hour ago, summer84 said:

I asked Koch media last year and there were no plans of releasing MV on Blu-ray. :(

Sorry to hear that - I have the US Set  and the Europe Fabulous Films set - both after the audio corrections. I find them both just fine. :D

I was watching Mirror Image on Blu-ray last night and I couldn't believe how great the quality was compared to the DVD. I did a comparison. On the BR, during the daytime bar scene between Crockett and Alejandro, you could see every strand of Crockett's hair. Not the case on the DVD. I'm so glad I upgraded.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
On 2/16/2018 at 1:07 PM, James said:

I don't have time codes, but in Heart of Darkness it's pretty much almost the whole episode which sounds overdubbed, like they play the dialogue twice and the second layer is slightly off. 

The Great McCarthy is when Rico meets Louis McCarthy for the first time and Crockett is playing around in his boat. There's a few words Rico says where there's no sound, you'll see his mouth move but no dialogue coming out. 

I'm not sure on Evan. I guess it wasn't enough for me to be annoyed by it so I never took notes. 

Evans is fine it just isn't in 5.1.

I got my UK version with Fabulous films and overall it is OK.

Heart of Darkness it echoes.

The Great McCarthy the audio is not there sometimes.

Back In the World there is a massive audio scratching noise at the beginning, I always remember to mute that bit. 

Tale Of The Goat at times you can hear the dialogue repeating in low volume.

Everything else is fine. 

• Like 2

• 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...
On 7/5/2017 at 10:26 AM, Sonny-Burnett said:

For anyone who hasn't read back through this thread, here again is a summary of known issues with the Mill Creek Blu-ray set. The only issue not addressed via replacement discs is the last one, the missing 10 seconds of stereo audio on Definitely Miami, which is a disappointment to me because I do play the Stereo track.

How bad is the missing 10 seconds of stereo audio on Definitely Miami?  Is there any audio or does the audio just drop out?

Is it just the song Cry that isn't playing?

Is this missing audio also on the 5.1 audio track of Definitely Miami?

I have the Universal Studios Miami Vice DVDs and would like to upgrade to the Blu-Ray set.  Definitely Miami is one of my favorite episodes 

19 minutes ago, crowe-t said:

How bad is the missing 10 seconds of stereo audio on Definitely Miami?  Is there any audio or does the audio just drop out?

I have the Universal Studios Miami Vice DVDs and would like to upgrade to the Blu-Ray set.  Definitely Miami is one of my favorite episodes 

I have the mill creek bluray and watched Definitely Miami fairly recently, don't remember any audio issues on the 2.0 track. The only sound issues I've come across is "Mirror Image" has no sound whatsoever on 2.0 but the 5.1 track works perfectly. So..

The set is a pain in the butt sometimes but it works. :thumbsup:

25 minutes ago, crowe-t said:

It’s not worth banning the set for. It’s an inexcusable mistake on Mill Creek’s part, but the Blu Rays are still a superior experience altogether for me. There a couple of other issues, but nothing as bad as the one in Definitely Miami, as far as I can tell, and I watch the Blu Rays every single night. 

The sound in season 3 isn't as good as season 1-2 and 4 or even 5.

For some reason on my surround sound the audio just come out of the centre speaker, the other 4 speakers and the subwoofer are disabled. The sound for that season is so tinny.

4 hours ago, crowe-t said:

How does the Miami Vice Mill Creek Blu-Ray set look compared to the Universal Studios Miami Vice DVDs?

There's no comparison, the blurays are much better than the dvds. The Pilot especially looks incredible, like a theatrical release film.

• Like 1

I don’t know if this has been covered, but is the weird darkening on the top of some scenes in “Deliver Us From Evil” corrected on the blu-rays? I just have the Universal DVDs and I think it’s been discussed that some scenes (especially mourning Crockett on the St. Vitus) have a really darkened top half of the picture. It’s really annoying because it’s such a great episode!

P.S. I don’t own a single Blu-Ray. I have a Sony Blu-Ray/DVD/Network player, but never saw the value in Blu-Ray. DVD is usually just fine with me. I’ve seen Blu-Ray elsewhere and the quality upgrade never impressed me enough to upgrade my film collection.

Edited by AndrewRemington