Episode #91 "Hostile Takeover"

Ferrariman

On 11/15/2021 at 1:10 AM, Jack Gretsky said:

My review from last year still holds.  I also like the "Walk and Talk Like Angels" scene by the pool at night.  Debra Feuer really does "move like quicksilver." :happy: 

I thought Celeste was pretty cool; I can't rate her as a great gal for Crockett, but in the Sonny Burnett universe I feel it doesn't get any better than her (she even has a little bit of a conscious, along with knowing what she's doing. I hope she stayed off the blow & and away from those depressing duds, & trotted the globe with an impressive stud). I'm glad Crockett (as Crockett again) went back for her; I totally think she was worth it.

Edited by Eillio Martin Imbasciati
missing words
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 11/4/2021 at 1:33 PM, vicegirl85 said:

agree with this judgment, and also Robbie C.'s comment that I didn't quote, re:  DJ was anxious to "strike while the iron was hot" and reach for the brass ring of success on the big screen that had eluded him for nearly 20 years.

He managed to do a couple of movies in between MV seasons, right? "Dead bang" was the most successful (and one I really like). It was shot during the break between S4 and S5 and came out in spring '89.

Edited by sdiegolo78
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, sdiegolo78 said:

He managed to do a couple of movies in between MV seasons, right? "Dead bang" was the most successful (and one I really like). It was shot during the break between S4 and S5 and came out in spring '89.

Yeah, Don was “flirting” with doing movies before MV ended, and I think his original plan was to eventually do solely feature films. I think he has the acting ability to do that, too! However, for whatever reason/s that career path just never really came to be. He eventually returned to television and again had more success with Nash Bridges

• Like 1

I've read previous and older posts about this episode. Having re-watched it a couple of evenings ago, I don't agree with the negative reviews. I know where some people are coming from, the amnesia thing with Sonny turning into a version of his alter-ego on steroids his far fetched, let alone his later reinstatement into the force (that happens in later episodes and it has been debated on different threads). I want to give this a 10 from an entertainment, style and cinematic perspective. MV was all about those elements the end of the day. Add the plot twists, the in-depth Crockett/Burnett character exploration and craziness, there you have a great episode! As someone else pointed out, the writing in this and other episodes of the Burnett saga was solid. That reinforces my 10 rating.
Of course, I didn't enjoy watching Sonny shooting Tubbs in Mirror Image and at the start of 'Redemption in blood' (though it seems he deliberately misses him after a few flashbacks). That's the only thing that doesn't sit well with me in this story arch, given they became like brothers. And I find Ernesto Manolo/El Gato the most ludicrous character ever. Even look at the way he dressed with shorts and gloves....such a weirdo...It was nice to see Matt Frewer as Cliff King but his character annoyed the hell out of me...
I liked how Tubbs held the fort with Lt Castillo at OCB during his partner absence.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, sdiegolo78 said:

Yes, he did something between basically every season of MV.   However, due to the strict shooting schedule as well as being located in Miami throughout the shooting season, he was limited in the outside projects he could take on.  His movie work during this time received good reviews (at least for his acting) but had limited success.  None achieved hit status and I think he felt that if he wasn't tied to the television shooting schedule he'd have more opportunities.

Possibly TV is really his best medium, but I liked the movies he did during that time as well.  I haven't seen any of the DJ revival films like Django Unchained, Knives Out, and others from recent years.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, vicegirl85 said:

I haven't seen any of the DJ revival films like Django Unchained, Knives Out, and others from recent years.

I ought to see Knives out, I'm told it's very good. Daniel Craig is in it too. I like Django, one of the best Tarantino's movies. He had a decent part in it. I really dig Harley Davidson & the Marlboro Man with MIckey Rourke (Debra Feuer's/Celeste wife).

• Like 2

Hey, I wonder sometimes,... if SWITEK were the one who had amnesia and became a ruthlessly efficient criminal climbing up in fame for four episodes, would those of us who like this story arc (and those who didn't buy the story arc) swap places?

Don't get me wrong, I like Don Johnson alot, but for Vice (and Nash), and I'm not always so sure he's got as much ACTING skill as he does VOICE+PERSONA that's right for the role of Crockett/Nash and a couple of other parts.  
There's an argument that Jack Nicholson is loved by so many (even me) because you love the man's default personality,.. you love to have him in a movie because you never get tired of Jack BEING HIMSELF on screen, not that he's able to actually play anyone else in a movie role.  He's not "acting", he's just being Jack, and we can't get enough of him.

So if we took "Don" out of the amnesia equation, (and put in Stan--not Rico), would that completely reverse whichever opinion you have about this story arc.

Personally, I am one of the fans who couldn't accept the story.  Seeing members of our Vice team who clearly have earned our complete trust and faith in their uprightness and cohesion to each other, start doing crimelord maneuvers and trying to put each other in hospital,... is an unnecessary SPIT at the series.  Switek instead of Crockett doesn't change that rancid taste in my mouth.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Augusta said:

Hey, I wonder sometimes,... if SWITEK were the one who had amnesia and became a ruthlessly efficient criminal climbing up in fame for four episodes, would those of us who like this story arc (and those who didn't buy the story arc) swap places?

Don't get me wrong, I like Don Johnson alot, but for Vice (and Nash), and I'm not always so sure he's got as much ACTING skill as he does VOICE+PERSONA that's right for the role of Crockett/Nash and a couple of other parts.  
There's an argument that Jack Nicholson is loved by so many (even me) because you love the man's default personality,.. you love to have him in a movie because you never get tired of Jack BEING HIMSELF on screen, not that he's able to actually play anyone else in a movie role.  He's not "acting", he's just being Jack, and we can't get enough of him.

So if we took "Don" out of the amnesia equation, (and put in Stan--not Rico), would that completely reverse whichever opinion you have about this story arc.

Personally, I am one of the fans who couldn't accept the story.  Seeing members of our Vice team who clearly have earned our complete trust and faith in their uprightness and cohesion to each other, start doing crimelord maneuvers and trying to put each other in hospital,... is an unnecessary SPIT at the series.  Switek instead of Crockett doesn't change that rancid taste in my mouth.

Interesting ideas! And, I agree, it wouldn’t matter what cast member they stuck in the amnesia/I’m now a gun-wielding killer role...it was a “spit” in the proverbial face of the series. The poor ratings and backlash from the Burnett crap were sadly not unexpected consequences. 

I do see what you mean, and to a certain extent I agree that DJ plays "himself" in most if not all of his roles.

However, if Switek had endured the traumatic murder of his wife in his presence, on top of the many and varied other issues associated with his work, I *think* I could have accepted him acting the ruthless criminal in an amnesic state.  Maybe not as the criminal mastermind as Sonny was portrayed--because Stan was never portrayed as a charismatic leader the way Sonny was--but I can definitely see Stan taking on the role of enforcer for some drug dealer or gambling kingpin if he had an amnestic injury on top of his wife's murder as Sonny did.

I don't have (much) trouble accepting the amnesia as a psychic breakdown of Sonny's personality in response to a stress level that had reached the tipping point.  Some of that was over the top and the time frame was quite unclear as to how fast it all happened.  What was unbelievable for me was that he was allowed to return to his previous position--no matter how much "therapy" he may have had.  If he wasn't actually given a medical discharge for all of that (like Hank Weldon), he should have been nailed to a desk for the rest of his career.  

Edited by vicegirl85
typo
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, vicegirl85 said:

I do see what you mean, and to a certain extent I agree that DJ plays "himself" in most if not all of his roles.

However, if Switek had endured the traumatic murder of his wife in his presence, on top of the many and varied other issues associated with his work, I *think* I could have accepted him acting the ruthless criminal in an amnesic state.  Maybe not as the criminal mastermind as Sonny was portrayed--because Stan was never portrayed as a charismatic leader the way Sonny was--but I can definitely see Stan taking on the role of enforcer for some drug dealer or gambling kingpin if he had an amnestic injury on top of his wife's murder as Sonny did.

I don't have (much) trouble accepting the amnesia as a psychic breakdown of Sonny's personality in response to a stress level that had reached the tipping point.  Some of that was over the top and the time frame was quite unclear as to how fast it all happened.  What was unbelievable for me was that he was allowed to return to his previous position--no matter how much "therapy" he may have had.  If he wasn't actually given a medical discharge for all of that (like Hank Weldon), he should have been nailed to a desk for the rest of his career.  

This. I also stand by my contention that this was one of the tightest (and only major) multi-episode arcs Vice ever did. Sure, they had a couple of two-parters, but nothing on this scale. Yeah, they likely would have sent Sonny on the same medical retirement cruise as Hank, but then again the odds of Metro-Dade hiring a disgraced NYPD officer who'd committed the kinds of offenses Tubbs did to get to Miami are also VERY low (if not zero).

If we're sticking with the Burnett saga for comparison, I could see Stan rising to about Cliff's level in an organization. He was always a solid planner and logistics guy, and he did have a tough streak we see on occasion.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, vicegirl85 said:

I agree...with the head trauma from the boat explosion, there’s a chance he would experience some form of amnesia. But, turning him into the whole Burnett drug-thug, all of the killing he did/caused, attempted killing of Tubbs, illegal drug sales & smuggling, etc...it was beyond ridiculous and over-the-top!

There’s no way he would have ever been allowed to carry a weapon again, let alone be a cop—even a desk job!  What if he accidentally hit his head again and all of a sudden the amnesia and the so-called Burnett crap came back?  He could start killing people out in the field, or provide information to other drug families/empires from info at a desk job.  If he wasn’t actually sent to prison, he most likely would’ve spent several years/decades in some kind of a mental institution. 

If it wasn’t so destructive and detrimental to one of the most awesome & beloved shows in TV history...it’s almost “comical” how ridiculous it all was. 

Edited by ViceFanMan
  • Like 1

On 2/16/2022 at 2:31 PM, Augusta said:

So if we took "Don" out of the amnesia equation, (and put in Stan--not Rico), would that completely reverse whichever opinion you have about this story arc

Well, that would have been ludicrous to watch :p....Stan was certainly descending into a downward spiral as we can see in later S5 episodes (from "Borrasca").

Just now, sdiegolo78 said:

Well, that would have been ludicrous to watch :p....Stan was certainly descending into a downward spiral as we can see in later S5 episodes (from "Borrasca").

It's a shame in a way they delayed this until almost the end of the series. Stan was a great character, and much could have been made about his reaction to Larry's death.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Robbie C. said:

It's a shame in a way they delayed this until almost the end of the series. Stan was a great character, and much could have been made about his reaction to Larry's death.

absolutely!

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Just a detail: I always thought the brother of El Gato, Jose Manolo, who was killed before "Hostile Takeover", was the Manolo from "Mirror Image". But now I learned the name from the Manolo in "Mirror Image" is Miguel, not Jose...

Does anybody knows more about? Two different persons or a mistake in continuity similiary to Yagovitch and Hagovitch?

• Like 1

I’ve always assumed it was a continuity error. Rolando clearly refers to him as “Miguel” when Tubbs comes to Lauderdale in Mirror Image. Then in Hostile Takeover, Castillo calls him “Jose” as his face appears on the computer screen (and yes, El Gato calls him Jose also). So yeah, either continuity error, or he had an alias/middle name. :birdie:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dadrian said:

So yeah, either continuity error, or he had an alias/middle name. :birdie:

Didn´t thought of this option. Nice explanation! Even I suppose it´s just an error. But your explanation has more charme :)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Dadrian said:

I’ve always assumed it was a continuity error. Rolando clearly refers to him as “Miguel” when Tubbs comes to Lauderdale in Mirror Image. Then in Hostile Takeover, Castillo calls him “Jose” as his face appears on the computer screen (and yes, El Gato calls him Jose also). So yeah, either continuity error, or he had an alias/middle name. :birdie:

This is one of the episodes where a draft script isn't available, but given the changes in Hagovich/Yagovich I'd say some kind of continuity error is likely.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
On 5/24/2017 at 9:11 PM, Remington said:

The only flaws I think are the cartoonish nature of the villains.

Indeed. El Gato's insanity was just overdone... "cartoonish" is the correct word... and that hillbilly-Cliff really had a "punchable" face. 

This Burnett saga was totally unrealistic but the episodes were very entertaining. I really liked those flashbacks too. And Debra Fauer was indeed hot. DJ looked very cool... much better than with those baggy clothes, too big jackets and messy hair in S4 and S5.

Yeah it was in Redemption in Blood but the ending of this saga was very unrealistic too. Sonny committed many ruthless murders and then walks back to his old job as if nothing serious really happened.

"Yeah you killed what... 5-10 guys cold blooded and shot your partner...but doesn't really matter. Go see a psychiatrist."

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

What a Season Premiere ! Directed by Don Johnson himself, stylishly and dark.

Sets the tone for Season 5 perfectly.

With Tim Truman’s rock score the show is on a knives edge which suits the season well.

Good locations in this fall 1988 episode too — showcasing the new Bayside complex in the teaser as well as Brickell, Key Biscayne and Virginia Key locations.

I give this episode 10 out of 10.

• Like 1