The Role of Tubbs

Paul

Hi Guys does anyone know if prior to PMT securing the role of Tubbs if any other notable actors auditioned for the part..?You wonder that if someone else had got the part , whether the show would have had the same success. I suppose it's a bit like asking if Ringo hadn't been selected as the drummer for the Beatles would they have been the phenoma they were.

I've never heard who was up for either role. They just like to let us know that it was great chemistry.Great question Paul, but I don't know the answer.I know DON JOHNSON auditioned for the part of INDIANA JONES for Steven Spielberg.

A few weeks ago I had the chance to buy the book "The Making Of Miami Vice". In that book Edward James Olmos says that he first applied for the role of Ricardo Tubbs, but didn´t get the role. And Philip Michael Thomas tells that he had auditioned for the role in New York, but they turned him down. But he was sure that he as the right man for the role and so he had flown to Miami to another audition and there he convinced.

I cant say about Tubbs but people say Larry "Chip´s" Wilcox did a test for Crockett.Dirk "battlestar galactica" Bennedict claims he would be Crockett and soon it all changed to Don (thx God).And Don did a test for Michael Knight´s role won by David "Knight Rider" Hasselhoff role on the show.

I've never heard who was up for either role. They just like to let us know that it was great chemistry.Great question Paul' date=' but I don't know the answer.I know DON JOHNSON auditioned for the part of INDIANA JONES for Steven Spielberg.[/quote']Did you know Tom Selleck was offered the Indy role before H Ford but turned it down due to anticipated scheduling conflicts with Magnum PI?

Absolutely. I have photos of him in his audition wearing a BAD fedora and leather jacket in stevens studio KITUCHEN where he conducted the interviews. It may even be on one of the dvd extras.

• Administrators

I cant say about Tubbs but people say Larry "Chip´s" Wilcox did a test for Crockett.Dirk "battlestar galactica" Bennedict claims he would be Crockett and soon it all changed to Don (thx God).And Don did a test for Michael Knight´s role won by David "Knight Rider" Hasselhoff role on the show.

I heard these two also.

Apparently Nick Nolte was considered for Crockett's part...apparently he wasn't interested in doing TV shows...

Of course, it's known that Mark Harmon was in queue as a mid-term replacement in case DJ actually walked after contract negotiations were in turmoil....I wonder if Harmon originally read for the part ?I wonder if any other Michael Mann 'regulars' were ever penned in as possibles, but never made the 'final cut'....oh, to see THAT marker board (or Post It Note) session....Bonnie Timmerman would be a good contact for other casting info...She's work many years with MM....Many of the L.A. Takedown (pre-version of H.E.A.T.) was a great mini-Movie and had some great actors that could probably pull it off.I thought Wm Petersen (Live & Die in LA and ManHunter) would have been a good character in Vice...

I agree - Billy Petersen would have been brilliant in Vice... and I love Mark Harmon as Gibbs in NCIS - but as Crockett?!?Two actors who did get to star in vice who I still like today are Michael Chiklis and Robert Joy... Can't imagine anyone else playing the roles, which is why *whispers because she is not looking to start a fight* I have the movie but have never watched it - just wanted it in my collection.

• Administrators

You may speak freely my dear, you are among-st friends here. There are no fights here. ;)We can all agree, to disagree, without agreeing, on anything! Agreed? :D

Can't imagine anyone else playing the roles' date=' which is why *whispers because she is not looking to start a fight* I have the movie but have never watched it - just wanted it in my collection.[/quote']I was abstaining from watching the movie too! But I gave in...I had to watch it in case it turned out to be good - it didn't!