Favorite ep. of all time.

timm525

12 minutes ago, Bren10 said:

Definitely Miami is certainly on the top 10 list to show someone, but I was thinking in chronological terms in case they want to commit to the show from the beginning. In other words, what's the earliest point that the show becomes a prime example of itself? I think No Exit is that point.

I also like the fact that Bruce Willis is in it. A star in his own right. And, I agree No Exit is an episode that helped define the series. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, mjcmmv said:

I also like the fact that Bruce Willis is in it. A star in his own right. And, I agree No Exit is an episode that helped define the series. 

Except he plays a raging tool in this one and is actually kinda unconvincing (he was still young, though). No Exit didn't really do much for me, honestly. Smuggler's Blues isn't a bad choice even if it's kinda thin, and for someone coming from Law & Order Evan isn't bad, either. I still like Definitely Miami just because it checks so many of the Vice boxes and is enough of a standalone you can watch it and go right back to the first season or forward to the fourth without losing anything.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, mjcmmv said:

Hey, we latch on to any lure that we can to show others how great this show is!

Castillo isn't in No Exit. Watching an episode without him leaves out a vital part of what Vice became, both visually and in terms of depth. That's another thing I think of when looking for a good opening episode for people.

Edited by Robbie C.
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Robbie C. said:

Except he plays a raging tool in this one and is actually kinda unconvincing (he was still young, though). No Exit didn't really do much for me, honestly. Smuggler's Blues isn't a bad choice even if it's kinda thin, and for someone coming from Law & Order Evan isn't bad, either. I still like Definitely Miami just because it checks so many of the Vice boxes and is enough of a standalone you can watch it and go right back to the first season or forward to the fourth without losing anything.

Well, I have her here for a whole week. I'll tie her to a chair and make her watch them all! :)

All kidding aside, if I would pick the best ones for her to see, No Exit, Definitely Miami, and Out Where the Buses Don't Run would be my first picks. Then, The Pilot, Evan, and Forgive Us Our Sins.

Edited by mjcmmv
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Robbie C. said:

I don't know--yes, Bruce was a tool in this ep but he definitely convinced me :)

Evan is a good choice and I agree that Definitely Miami checks so many Vice boxes that I feel if you didn't like it, you wouldn't like MV.  And as you say, it's quite a standalone that doesn't depend on prior knowledge of the characters or series.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Robbie C. said:

Castillo isn't in No Exit. Watching an episode without him leaves out a vital part of what Vice became, both visually and in terms of depth. That's another thing I think of when looking for a good opening episode for people.

Oh, man. Good point!

OWTBDR is a winner for sure.  I think prior knowledge of earlier episodes lends weight to Buses that isn't felt if it's viewed in isolation or as the first ep.  But it's still a great choice!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, vicegirl85 said:

OWTBDR is a winner for sure.  I think prior knowledge of earlier episodes lends weight to Buses that isn't felt if it's viewed in isolation or as the first ep.  But it's still a great choice!

Good point!

2 minutes ago, vicegirl85 said:

The only challenge I see with OWTBDR is its rather dark nature. It's great if you want to get someone used to that side of Vice, but it lacks some of the bright stuff that characterizes many episodes (especially early on). My money's still on Definitely Miami. It's also got the emotional aspects covered (potential love interest, family conflict, all that good stuff). It's just a one-stop Vice shop. Start with it, then go into OWTBDR if she's still interested. Follow it with Phil the Shill for a taste of Izzy and close out with No Exit for a preview of what the later seasons feel like.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Robbie C. said:

My money's still on Definitely Miami. It's also got the emotional aspects covered (potential love interest, family conflict, all that good stuff). It's just a one-stop Vice shop. 

Like I said, she'll be a captive audience! I'll show her the line up and let her chose. She won't dare say no. :) For me, it's a toss up between No Exit and Definitely Miami. Now, if I include her husband, I know which one I'd choose!!

Edited by mjcmmv
  • Haha 1

• 7 months later...

I've only recently been rewatching the show with Starz, but so far my favorites have been. 

1. Definitely Miami 

2. Prodigal Son 

We'll see where my viewing leads me. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Chris Lance said:

I've only recently been rewatching the show with Starz, but so far my favorites have been. 

1. Definitely Miami 

2. Prodigal Son 

I agree but I want to include Out Where the Buses Don't Run and Payback. 

• Like 1

On 4/13/2020 at 7:25 PM, Chris Lance said:

1. Definitely Miami 

2. Prodigal Son 

On 4/13/2020 at 10:08 PM, mjcmmv said:

I agree but I want to include Out Where the Buses Don't Run and Payback. 

Smugglers Blues definitely has to be included! So is the 2-part Hit List & Calderone’s Demise (later titled Calderone’s Return Pts. 1&2 in syndication), as well as No Exit and Death and the Lady! There’s so many, though! :dance2:

Edited by ViceFanMan
  • Like 1

On 8/19/2019 at 12:17 AM, Robbie C. said:

Do you mean Marty wasn't in "No Exit" much or not at all?

List of Guest Stars | Miami Vice Wiki | Fandom

• Like 1

"Yankee Dollar" is a close favourite of mine. Sonny took Sarah's death really hard, to be honest I never seen him so emotionally charged as this in they entire series. I could really sense that he was hurting so bad inside throughout the episode.

I love getting wrapped up in the emotional episodes, "Bought and Paid For" is another.

Edited by RedDragon86
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, RedDragon86 said:

Do you mean Marty wasn't in "No Exit" much or not at all?

List of Guest Stars | Miami Vice Wiki | Fandom

Exactly...Castillo may not have been in the episode a lot, but he was some—and the plot & performances in No Exit were amazing, it showcased the Pink House...plus it has one of the best, shocking abrupt-endings that MV became known for! Awesome episode and one that helped define the show! :thumbsup:

Edited by ViceFanMan

I also really like One Way Ticket...awesome plot & MV action, Jan Hammer had a guest-cameo, and John Heard was amazing!

Edited by ViceFanMan
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, ViceFanMan said:

Castillo may not have been in the episode a lot, but he was some—and the plot & performances in No Exit were amazing, it showcased the Pink House...plus it has one of the best, shocking abrupt-endings that MV became known for! Awesome episode and one that helped define the show! :thumbsup:

Its one of the greatest episodes for sure, certainly in the top 10.

I would put his limited presence early on down to him being new in the department. He was even more reserved to begin with. This made the Golden Triangle's episodes even more special, because he opened up about his personal life and bonded with the team. I think this was the producers intentions.

Edited by RedDragon86
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, ViceFanMan said:

I also really like One Way Ticket...awesome plot & MV action, Jan Hammer had a guest-cameo, and John Heard was amazing!

Love that one, just as much as "Phil The Shill"

Season 2 is so good :thumbsup:

Edited by RedDragon86
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, RedDragon86 said:

Its one of the greatest episodes for sure, certainly in the top 10.

I would put his limited presence early on down to him being new in the department. He was even more reserved to begin with. This made the Golden Triangle's episodes even more special, because he opened up about his personal life and bonded with the team. I think this was the producers intentions.

Exactly...Castillo wasn’t necessarily going to always be front-n-center like Crockett and Tubbs. Sometimes he was in more scenes of an episode and sometimes not...but that didn’t necessarily take away from the episode itself. And I agree...us learning a lot more about him personally in Golden Triangle actually “made” that/those episode/s! 

6 minutes ago, RedDragon86 said:

Love that one, just as much as "Phil The Shill"

Season 2 is so good :thumbsup:

Phil the Shill is superb, too!! There used to be this “dirty”-realtor in my town whose name  was Phil...he was known as a liar & a crook, and I always referred to him as Phil-the-Shill, off this episode, lol! :p Season 2 is the best season of the series, in my opinion...I can’t think of one “wrong” episode!! :thumbsup: 

• Like 1

Didn't care for either No Exit or Phil the Shill, so everyone's mileage is different. Not horrible episodes, but neither would make my top ten.

And yeah, I'd lost track of Castillo in No Exit. He wasn't solidly established as a character yet, and since this is one of the episodes I don't tend to rewatch much...

• Confused 1

"No Exit" is a great episode, performances and all.  I have a hard time watching some of it though...mainly the domestic violence scenes.  That stuff tends to get to me.

• Like 2