Zito's Death

Assasinge

I don't know... if you paid me 200 grand a season just to be sitting around and having to do a scene every now and then, I would probably take that offer... :)

But I can see how that must be frustrating if, as an actor, you want to do more things. I think most actors on Miami Vice had exclusive contracts during a season, meaning they were not allowed to work on anything else. One exception being Edward James Olmos, who was also the only one who had creative control over his character.

As far as replacing Zito with somebody else, well, John Diehl and Michael Talbott became lifelong good friends during their time on Miami Vice, and it's a kind of chemistry that just bounces off the screen and makes those two characters work in the first place. They played two buddies so believably because they were buddies in real life. It'll always be difficult to find a replacement with which the remaining character will have that kind of chemistry.

What they shouldn't have done, regardless, was that they put Switek on such a dark path after Zito was gone. All the gambling and drinking problems and whatnot. They should have just kept him as an upbeat character. You still occasionally see some of that in some scenes in seasons 3-5. That was both Switek's and Michael Talbott's forte.

• Like 3

Edward literally walked in and told the people on set and told em' to just take all the messed up papers off the floor and table everywhere. What a true badass.

Stan's storyline was really ripped off Mann's other show Crime Story. Right at the beginning of the second season in sep 87 they had one of the cops become a gambling addict in Vegas. But it only lasted one episode. So they took the same thing and reused it on Vice a year later.

It's funny i saw John Diehl on an episode of In the Heat of Night in 1989 and totally missed that he had been on MV a few years earlier. Real good episode actually.

i miss Nash Bridges being on tv somewhere tony.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AzVice said:

Stan's storyline was really ripped off Mann's other show Crime Story. Right at the beginning of the second season in sep 87 they had one of the cops become a gambling addict in Vegas. But it only lasted one episode. So they took the same thing and reused it on Vice a year later.

It's funny i saw John Diehl on an episode of In the Heat of Night in 1989 and totally missed that he had been on MV a few years earlier. Real good episode actually.

i miss Nash Bridges being on tv somewhere tony.

Me too, AzVice......even though I have Nash & Miami Vice disc sets, it would be nice to know millions of people are watching exactly what I am that night and then comment on the episode at work or wherever with friends.

• Like 1

I read somewhere that Phillip Michael Thomas appeared on Nash, but in an interview Don Johnson didn't seem to really care. It said he barely talked about him for some reason..

he appeared twice actually. once in season 2 and again in season 6, so it seems they must have had a good relationship.

• Administrators

Aside from not getting enough air time, another of John's reasons for quitting was ironically to pursue a career in boxing!

The 2 Nash Bridges episodes with PMT were really good & they looked like they were having fun & camaraderie in them! :thumbsup:

On 01/03/2017 at 2:13 PM, Tony D. said:

I have all the Nash Bridges episodes on DVDs. To me it's a continuation of Miami Vice! ;)

In many ways but a funnier happier jollier Sonny in Nash !:fireworks:

• Like 1

i thought i heard don say back then nash was like sonny 5 years older, but i may be mistaken. the show itself to me was different. A lot more humor, none of the darkness really. They also kept it  fresh with side detective cases and Cheech's funny home life and some storylines for the other characters. I wish it had been higher rated and Don hadn't tired of it. I think it could have lasted longer, but i wish they had not killed Evan in season 5.

i can't believe nbc put SVU on opposite, won the ratings and that thing is still on the air. There's another example i bet they spend way less on that show than what Nash Bridges cost to shoot.

Edited by AzVice

• 2 weeks later...

It bugs me that Switek always had more dialogue than Zito. So I can understand him leaving. But money and career-wise it probably wasn't the best decision. Quite frankly, I never knew or remembered John Diehl from any movies or other shows except MV. And I'm sure neither do a lot of other people - which kinda proves my point.

John Diehl wouldn't necessarily have become more famous/remembered after Vice, had he stayed with the show throughout it's run, cause he wasn't the star of the show or got the media's attention like DJ did. Diehl had too small a part to become noticed in that sense. And I mean, considering how it turned out for some of the other cast members, who didn't have much success in the film industry like PMT, that wasn't offered many roles, ending up working for a psychic network.

But in the end, I guess it was personal happiness for Diehl that mattered more than money and security/stability having a steady job.

I also think, he should have continued being on the show carrier-wise, but then again, if he felt it wasn't leading to anywhere despite of the money he earned, I guess Diehl made his choice there whether it was right or wrong. It seemed, he was determined in his decision to leave. Just my opinion. 

Edited by summer84

• 1 month later...

Saundra Santiago has had a good career with a long-running part in a daytime soap and I believe she has also done stage work in NYC.

Diehl is still working consistently. of course there are a TON of people that guest starred on MV that went on to long careers , from stars to character actors.

On 01/03/2017 at 8:40 AM, daytona365 said:

John also appeared in an episode of Nash Bridges (S2E15 'The Counterfeiters') as a bad guy. He's basically not in a single scene together with Don, except for getting arrested by him at the end.

Great episode !

You know.........when Swi takes Zito's head and puts it on his shoulder it still makes me cry to this day!

Love this episode!

• 2 months later...

I know he'd boxed some so it was nice they did a story that so tailored to him.  I remember reading he was just bored. They just didn't give him enough to do. I mean there were episodes where he had very little dialogue. 

Then again, I think everything became too Crockett centered and all the characters suffered.  

• 5 years later...
On 2/28/2017 at 1:44 PM, Dadrian said:

I caught John in an episode of In the Heat of the Night once. :thumbsup:

Just saw this episode again. John does a fantastic job. In the Heat of the Night was a great, if underrated, show.

• Like 1

i don't know what to really think about that plot. i mean injecting yourself some drug into the vein, while being a cop let me doubtful. i mean a Miami corrupted cop of Miami in the 80s may have succumbed to a rail of white. but Zito which proved to be a good guy, and good cop, injecting himself some s.., i have difficulties to swallow. maybe the episode maker wanted to highlight the danger of addiction. but i just don't see Zito falling into such dumb trap

• Administrators

Zito did not inject himself. ( he was afraid of needles). His killers forcefully injected him and left him to die.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Ferrariman said:

Zito did not inject himself. ( he was afraid of needles). His killers forcefully injected him and left him to die.

yeah this is what is suggested. but if true why didn't they put all their efforts onto it. i mean a cop homicide, you can't do more serious. why didn't they find the culprit(s)

• Confused 1

vor 35 Minuten schrieb jpaul1:

yeah this is what is suggested. but if true why didn't they put all their efforts onto it. i mean a cop homicide, you can't do more serious. why didn't they find the culprit(s)

Did you see the episode at all?

The rest of the team especially Crockett worked hard and brought all of Guzmans goons including himself down at the end.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, jpaul1 said:

Did you watch Down for the Count Part II?

• Like 1