Bed Scenes

Den Taylor

Something occurred to me today which I find odd....
Correct me if I'm wrong but how come Tubbs has so many bed scenes throughout the series which were quite erotic (with Valerie for instance) and Crockett doesn't?? I can't remember a single one that was similar?
Is it because Don didn't like to shoot these type of scenes? He did have several love interests in the show just like Tubbs...

• Like 2

By Hooker by Crook wasn't erotic enough for you :)?  And although I disliked the character Danielle Hier, I thought the scene in French Twist was quite erotic as well (although not explicit in the way By Hooker by Crook was). 

True that I can't recall any others right off the bat that were so sensual.

Edited by vicegirl85
  • Like 3

Definitely the By Hooker by Crook scene was one of the hotter scenes involving Sonny and I think maybe because he was seeing Melanie at the time. There were plenty of other scenes that implied some hot bedroom activity but were not as visual as some of Tubbs scenes, such as the overnighters with Gina ( she was seen by Tubbs waking up at the St Vitus Dance), the girl who said "he's never gonna call me" having looked like she was just out of bed also at the boat, Teresa who was shown sleeping over on the St Vitus dance, the Hit List scene with Caroline as they both just rolled out of bed, and the overnighter with Brenda at her place. Though married to Caitlin I can't recall any steamy bedroom scenes there.

• Like 1

Well, Don didn't have any trouble shooting hot scenes in his music video "Heartache away" from 1986 also. :) Not to forget those bed scenes with Gina, there was a bit of tongue action going on there with Caroon, even though it was just for a few seconds.

The person, who wrote the episode "By Hooker, By Crook" John Schulian extract from the article:

KJXw5fn.jpg

Edited by summer84
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, summer84 said:

Well, Don didn't have any trouble shooting hot scenes in his music video "Heartache away" from 1986 also. :) Not to forget those bed scenes with Gina, there was a bit of tongue action going on there with Caroon, even though it was just for a few seconds.

The person, who wrote the episode "By Hooker, By Crook" John Schulian extract from the article:

KJXw5fn.jpg

Very interesting thankyou :hippie:

Also, it's been mentioned here on the forum before, but possibly some younger viewers have never seen the original scene from By Hooker by Crook.  When originally broadcast, the scene was quite a bit longer than it has existed since then in syndication as well as on the DVDs and (I believe) also the new Blu-Ray release.  Not only was it longer and IMO quite explicit for a network broadcast TV show in the 80s; in addition, the erotic bedroom scene with Sonny and Christine was intercut with shots of Vanity's character being tortured and ultimately killed.  I have always thought this scene was pushing the envelope for broadcast TV and although even regular broadcast TV is much more daring today, don't think I've ever seen an equal to it.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, vicegirl85 said:

Also, it's been mentioned here on the forum before, but possibly some younger viewers have never seen the original scene from By Hooker by Crook.  When originally broadcast, the scene was quite a bit longer than it has existed since then in syndication as well as on the DVDs and (I believe) also the new Blu-Ray release.  Not only was it longer and IMO quite explicit for a network broadcast TV show in the 80s; in addition, the erotic bedroom scene with Sonny and Christine was intercut with shots of Vanity's character being tortured and ultimately killed.  I have always thought this scene was pushing the envelope for broadcast TV and although even regular broadcast TV is much more daring today, don't think I've ever seen an equal to it.

You are correct...the original scene between Sonny and Christine was much longer and much more explicit for a TV show in the 80s! ;) I have an original airing of this one and have gotten to see the original full version. It's nothing for today's TV...but back then they pushed the envelope with this one for sure! Veronica Cartwright was also in this episode...she was Mitch's little sister Kathy in Alfred Hitchcock's The Birds when she was young. Wild cast, but good plot and good acting by all! :thumbsup:

Edited by ViceFanMan
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, so I stand corrected. :) For some reason By Hooker By Crook had eluded me. If the original TV scene is different why didn't they include it at least as a bonus feature or something on the DVDs? The DVD version I know does show the intercuts of Vanity being killed but the bedroom scene is not really that long. Anywhere where one can find the original scene?
Anyway, it's kind of interesting that they waited with such a hot bedroom scene with Crocket until late in Season 3. Surely because ratings were dropping?
I did think of most of the other scenes that were mentioned in this thread but those really can't compare to Tubbs' scenes.
Yeah, Gina and Crockett...they defintely left a lot to the viewer's imagination there, eh? I kinda love that tension between the two in Season 1, too bad they didn't use that anymore in the following seasons .(?) It did resurface in season 4 again I believe when Gina was falling in love with that drug criminal she was supposed to work on.

Edited by Den Taylor
  • Like 1

I really wouldn't mind seeing the original version of that bed scene in "Hooker by Crook" either. ;):) Seriously. 

In S2 "Bought and Paid for" we see a nice affectionate moment between Gina and Sonny, when they go out on a double date with Tubbs and Odette at a night club, but as always Sonny/DJ doesn't want to dance. :D

Throughout the show, there is some flirting/teasing between the two on a friendly level though. Like in "Blood and Roses," where Sonny and Gina have an intimate moment, nothing wild, just a kiss and hugging. And also in "El Viejo," when Sonny winks at Gina as he passes by. Having great on-screen chemistry that relationship should have been developed further. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, summer84 said:

I really wouldn't mind seeing the original version of that bed scene in "Hooker by Crook" either. ;):) Seriously. 

In S2 "Bought and Paid for" we see a nice affectionate moment between Gina and Sonny, when they go out on a double date with Tubbs and Odette at a night club, but as always Sonny/DJ doesn't want to dance. :D

Throughout the show, there is some flirting/teasing between the two on a friendly level though. Like in "Blood and Roses," where Sonny and Gina have an intimate moment, nothing wild, just a kiss and hugging. And also in "El Viejo," when Sonny winks at Gina as he passes by. Having great on-screen chemistry that relationship should have been developed further. 

Yes Summer good points - Im suprised they did'nt develop the Gina and Crockett side of things - also Tubbs and Trudy had good chemistry as a couple in scenes from Walk Alone and Streetwise. However Producers were probrably worried that once they got them together what would that go , perhaps ?

Im sure it would have been discussed at some point by Producers and Writers of the show :hippie:

Edited by Matt5
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Matt5 said:

Yes Summer good points - Im suprised they did'nt develop the Gina and Crockett side of things - also Tubbs and Trudy had good chemistry as a couple in scenes from Walk Alone and Streetwise. However Producers were probrably worried that once they got them together what would that go , perhaps ?

Im sure it would have been discussed at some point by Producers and Writers of the show :hippie:

I could see the Gina/Sonny relationship working out well, as they were both cops working together, being able to consult each other knowing what the other one is going through because of having that deeper understanding of what effects the working environment can have on you.

I never gave much thought to Tubbs and Trudy as romantically involved, so I was surprised that they were a married? couple in the Miami Vice movie.  

Whether it turned out good or bad it would have been very interesting nonetheless and more story lines could have been created from that. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, summer84 said:

I could see the Gina/Sonny relationship working out well, as they were both cops working together, being able to consult each other knowing what the other one is going through because of having that deeper understanding of what effects the working environment can have on you.

I never gave much thought to Tubbs and Trudy as romantically involved, so I was surprised that they were a married? couple in the Miami Vice movie.  

Whether it turned out good or bad it would have been very interesting nonetheless and more story lines could have been created from that. 

Good point - Sonny was so unlucky in love - and Gina was also on her own they could have developed it a lot more .. 

Ironically Sonny handled the relationship with the female lead , Celeste, in "Hostile Takeover"/ "Redemption in Blood" better when he was Burnett :hippie:

Edited by Matt5
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Matt5 said:

1 hour ago, summer84 said:

The MV movie was terrible in so many aspects! :thumbsdown:

But in the show I've read and heard over the years that the reason Sonny & Gina's relationship didn't continue or develop much beyond the first season and a half, is because for some reason all new writers were brought in for season 3 on--and they chose to drop that storyline, along with never really returning to Tubbs' baby son & what happened to him. :evil:

PMT body fits well in 'passionate' scenes. and Tubbs and Trudy never had a story together, because if so, they would have married. i mean their couple would have been too perfect (no disrespect to their respective couples here, just a fan comment ;))

Edited by jpm1

2 hours ago, ViceFanMan said:

The MV movie was terrible in so many aspects! :thumbsdown:

But in the show I've read and heard over the years that the reason Sonny & Gina's relationship didn't continue or develop much beyond the first season and a half, is because for some reason all new writers were brought in for season 3 on--and they chose to drop that storyline, along with never really returning to Tubbs' baby son & what happened to him. :evil:

Yeah, the movie was bad. Have never seen the full movie because of that. :) 

"The Mother's Keepers" script where Gina and Sonny go undercover as a married couple was created, but dropped. :( It's not clear, when it was written exactly, but maybe between S1 and S3. I guess the producer decides whether it should be produced or not. I have always wondered, if maybe the actors themselves had any saying in this. 

Interestingly enough the friendly flirtatious feeling between them was still occasionally on the display in S3, but perhaps new writers only saw them as friends. And yet again newer writers in S4 made the "Blood and Roses" episode scene just for "old times sake."

Edited by summer84
  • Like 3

8 minutes ago, summer84 said:

Interesting... "The Mother's Keepers" script where Gina and Sonny go undercover as a married couple was created, but dropped. :( It's not clear, when it was written exactly, but maybe between S1 and S3. I guess the producer decides whether it should be produced or not. I have always wondered, if maybe the actors themselves had any saying in this. 

Interestingly enough the friendly flirtatious feeling between them was occasionally on the display, but perhaps new writers only saw them as friends. And yet again newer writers in S4 made the "Blood and Roses" episode just for "old times sake."

"Mothers Keeper" Ive never heard of that - would have been good to see :hippie:

Edited by Matt5
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Matt5 said:

"Mothers Keeper" Ive never heard of that - would have been good to see :hippie:

Yeah, it always makes me really disappointed knowing, that it could have been a reality. Being a Sonny/Gina fan it would have been awesome for me! But there is still definitely room for it in the Miami Vice reboot. :)

http://miamivice.wikia.com/wiki/Mother's_Keepers

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, summer84 said:

"The Mother's Keepers" script where Gina and Sonny go undercover as a married couple was created, but dropped. :( It's not clear, when it was written exactly, but maybe between S1 and S3. I guess the producer decides whether it should be produced or not. I have always wondered, if maybe the actors themselves had any saying in this. 

Interestingly enough the friendly flirtatious feeling between them was still occasionally on the display in S3, but perhaps new writers only saw them as friends. And yet again newer writers in S4 made the "Blood and Roses" episode scene just for "old times sake."

I've not heard of this script before...I really wish they'd of made the episode! They should have ended the series with Crockett and Gina together...even if Sonny really did leave Vice! 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, summer84 said:

Yeah, it always makes me really disappointed knowing, that it could have been a reality. Being a Sonny/Gina fan it would have been awesome for me! But there is still definitely room for it in the Miami Vice reboot. :)

The writer of this script wrote the mid Season 3 episode "Forgive Us Our Debts" so I would think it could have been a late Season 3 episode perhaps :hippie:

12 minutes ago, ViceFanMan said:

I've not heard of this script before...I really wish they'd of made the episode! They should have ended the series with Crockett and Gina together...even if Sonny really did leave Vice! 

Definitely! :fireworks:

Coop posted the script in this thread, I missed it the first time around:

Edited by summer84
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, Matt5 said:

The writer of this script wrote the mid Season 3 episode "Forgive Us Our Debts" so I would think it could have been a late Season 3 episode perhaps :hippie:

You could be right, didn't think of that. :thumbsup: Only maybe somewhere mid or earlier in S3, because as I recall Zito was still alive in the script.  

38 minutes ago, summer84 said:

You could be right, didn't think of that. :thumbsup: Only maybe somewhere mid or earlier in S3, because as I recall Zito was still alive in the script.  

Yes you're right I just saw John Diehl as Zito was still in the show :hippie:

A real shame they didn't produce this episode - just reread its very good - I suppose the child theme has elements of "Baby Blues" which may have intergrated parts of this script into that show :hippie:

• 1 year later...
On 8/15/2017 at 7:28 PM, summer84 said:

Wow, Summer! Here's another one of your posts I just came across. And, I read the script you added: "Mother's Keepers". Now, that would have been something to see! 

• Like 2

• 5 months later...
On 8/15/2017 at 8:19 PM, summer84 said:

Well, I posted that back in 2017 and somehow searching for one of my own uploaded videos of Miami Vice, I came across that scene with Crockett and Christine. I wouldn't say there is much exposed like you do see some of after the sex scene, that somehow "got past" the censors.

Edited by summer84