Act of Terrorism in the US

Assasinge

Before I start, I just want to let everyone know that I'm not trying to start a political conflict here, rather, I simply feel the need to vent about this and get this off my chest and express my somber views on this horrific incident that took place just a day or two ago.

If you haven't already heard, there was an Alt Right protest in Charlottesville, Virginia Saturday, it was a "Unite the Right" movement. While I personally despise the right, they were doing nothing illegal in that protest, however concerning it was. But then counter protesters began to arrive, from the left I believe and they started to argue, and eventually things got really ugly. It became a brawl, and as any other violent protest, people were fighting back and forth etc. But here's the worst part: around 1:45 p.m., a car plowed into a group of counterprotestersand another car. One person was killed: Heather D. Heyer, 32, a paralegal from Charlottesville who “was a passionate advocate for the disenfranchised and was often moved to tears by the world’s injustices.” 

This came a severe shock to Americans as a whole, knowing that someone died fighting back for what they believed were the world's injustices, and two other police officers in a helicopter were killed after it fell and crashed. Now, this really hurt to read no doubt, but what was worse was that Pres. Trump failed to condemn the White Nationalists and the Neo Nazi who casued the terrorist attack. It is quite telling that when Jeff Sessions, who is known for his racist beliefs and was denied to be the Federal Judge in the 80s because of his racism, condemned the incident as an act of terrorism, but Pres. Trump did not and claimed "both sides" were at it, which is wholly untrue. 

In effect, I've never been so ashamed to be an American and know that our own President is unable to condemn this sct of terrorism for what it is, but his own "racist" Attorney General and Angela Merkel, and Theresa May have condemned this incident. I don't know what people in the future will make of this incident, or this Presidency alone. Everytime I talk to foreigners and I tell them I'm from the US, more often than not they now laugh and say "Oh, I'm sorry your country has to put up with the President you have now", and I have to hang my head in shame and agree. We're falling through the ranks as a well respected country, and we're tarnishing our self image on the world stage day by day. And all this could have been prevented had more people voted for someone other than Trump, for me, preferably Bernie Sanders, for others, Clinton. But whatever has happened has happened and this is going to go down in history books in the futute, kids will learn and read about this and wonder if such a thing was ever possible to occurr in the US itself, once known for it's use of diplomacy, and being able to lead the free world, and now known for "the orange man in the White House" that other countries now laugh at and wonder what happened in such a short time span.

last but not least, my heart goes out to those who were in Virginia at the time of the incident, and the family member's of the paralegal who was killed by the terrorist who drove his car through the crowd. I know not what is in store for this country anymore, but hope that by the time I'm out of college and have a job, that everything is normal. Sadly, this is a dark stain that has been casted on history and is growing bigger and bigger by the day, and there is no doubt that history will not treat us well for a long time to come. God Bless everyone.

Also, if I've made any factual errors here, please let me know. Thank you.

Edited by Assasinge
  • Like 1

As Timm525 alluded to in his comments yesterday, political topics in here have always led to conflict and inflammatory rhetoric, in spite of the best intentions. Your opening statements already provided such fodder where you stated "While I personally despise the right.." Had it occurred to you that this is inflammatory and offensive to some in here who don't lean left?   I can recommend any number of FB news forums where you can share your views and engage those on the left, and on the right. I do so as well. Just PM me if you are interested.

Edited by Sonny-Burnett
  • Like 2

Guys do you mind if we keep this topic open please? It's an important issue and that's what forums are for, discussing ideas. We're all mature enough to converse with people with differing opinions in a reasonable manner.

• Like 1

I don't think it's just the US Assasinge, It seems like the whole world is in chaos...(Even more usual). How many bombings, shootings, stabbings, acid attacks, vehicle attacks, Riots can one witness before becoming desensitised to all this pointless barbarity.? I hope I haven't quite reached that point yet but it's hard to keep faith in humanity when this happens on a weekly basis.

We should just do what Nietzsche said, enjoy the beautiful things in life and wage war on the ugly. There's nothing less interesting than these so called "people" that just want to see the world burn. So It matters not to us, we wage war with indifference. These bigots and hate groups can only exist by reacting to our reaction of their intolerance. If we do not acknowledge them then they lose.

*Grabs a cold beer, sits down and watches MV*... Time to watch something beautiful.

48 minutes ago, Sonny-Burnett said:

As Timm525 alluded to in his comments yesterday, political topics in here have always led to conflict and inflammatory rhetoric, in spite of the best intentions. Your opening statements already provided such fodder where you stated "While I personally despise the right.." Had it occurred to you that this is inflammatory and offensive to some in here who don't lean left?   I can recommend any number of FB news forums where you can share your views and engage those on the left, and on the right. I do so as well. Just PM me if you are interested.

Actually, whilst I said that I despise the right, I never said the right is bad...

However, if this thread gets locked due to that or something, I'd consider it immature to be unable to discuss this topic. I also didn't name call anyone. I expressed MY views without calling the right "bad" or anything. And I'll be honest, the left isn't some godsend species either. It has also done questionable acts in the past. 

Edited by Assasinge

Timm should close this topic just like the one he closed yesterday and for the same reasons.  A Miami Vice fan forum is not the place to discuss a tragic and emotionally charged incident.  It will lead to inflammatory rhetoric and hard feelings.  Lets come together based on our love of VICE, related issues, and fellowship.  Those who have been members for a while should know the long standing policies.  I hate to say it but those who don't follow the rules should get a warning.

Edited by miamijimf
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

7 minutes ago, miamijimf said:

Timm should close this topic just like the one he closed yesterday and for the same reasons.  A Miami Vice fan forum is not the place to discuss a tragic and emotionally charged incident.  It will lead to inflammatory rhetoric and hard feelings.  Lets come together based on our love of VICE, related issues, and fellowship.  Those who have been members for a while should know the long standing policies.  I hate to say it but those who don't follow the rules should get a warning.

"You got to know the rules before you break them, otherwise it's no fun"- Crockett:cool:

15 minutes ago, miamijimf said:

Where in the rules does it say I'm not allowed to create this thread?

I think Sonny-Burnett really had a kind and thoughtful suggestion for you, and by participating in some of the forums that are really geared to political discussion I think you will be able to express and defend your ideas very effectively!  Please don't stop participating in the political process, even if MiamiViceOnline is basically a political discussion-free forum.  It's great to see a young person who is so involved and passionate. 

Sorry guys but this is silly. If you want people to only talk about MV or topics you personally approve of then why have an Off-topic section? We already lost the IMDB boards in it's entirety and there's becoming fewer places to discuss this stuff in a meaningful way, as twitter/Instagram and other disposable trash social media become the norm.

I vote we keep the topic as an act of solidarity and as an appeal for freedom of speech.

• Like 2

IMDB Board?

Also, I really appreiciate the offer for the use of other forums or platforms to express my views on political topics, so far I've been called terrible names by people claiming to be Neo Nazis or Right Wingers, with very few people backing me up on my arguments. I apologize for having to resort to a forum like this to express my somber views here, but at the same time, what's the point of an off topic section?

Apologies again.

I don't know ;( it was cool how they had an individual board for literally every movie ever made. Eg. You could go to "Manhunter" or something and it'd be filled with topics professing their love for the film.

I think the corporate suits weren't a fan of the religious/political boards so they shut it down. That's why we should talk about it as a F U to the people who want to censor us.

1 minute ago, Assasinge said:

Damn.

Here comes my Matrix Trilogy topic!

XD

There was only one matrix:cool:lol

Looking forward to it.

6 minutes ago, Vincent Hanna said:

There was only one matrix:cool:lol

Looking forward to it.

What? There were three lol

The Matrix, The Matrix Reloaded, and the Matrix Revolutions. Unless you're joking.

from my 'far away' France that whole thing seems to have been caused by supremacists. just pronouncing their name and giving them importance make them happy. USA has never been about racism, we all know that. America is a great country and doesn't need any racism to be great. concerning Trump he condemned clearly the violence, maybe not enough as today's standards, but this is not bad minded. this is because he has no experience in politics, and he didn't get yet that in nowadays crazy world, medias take cash any sentence pronounced. personnally i find that medias behaviour bad and fruitless. if you judge Trump strictly on acts, it's not that bad. yeah he said few things like going out the Paris treatment, but so far he didn't do anything. i sincerely think Trump is intelligent enough to see that global warming is not a joke, and the stakes are very high. i think we should stop the bashing a bit, and wait for the acts a bit more

Edited by jpm1

4 minutes ago, Assasinge said:

What? There were three lol

The Matrix, The Matrix Reloaded, and the Matrix Revolutions. Unless you're joking.

Yes:), (the sequels are not all bad though.)

• Administrators

Once again team, these kinds of topics NEVER go over well. There are other types of boards that you can go to to discuss this kind of volatile subject matter. This stuff is not needed on our family friendly forum. Let's not have this discussion again please.

Thanks,

Tim

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

• timm525 locked this topic
  • Administrators
On 8/14/2017 at 2:54 PM, Assasinge said:

Where in the rules does it say I'm not allowed to create this thread?

It currently doesn't. Soon to be rectified!  Old timers on this site simply know the drill.