The criteria for selecting music on the show

mirrorimageegamirorrim

Vice was famous for its music.  However, there are many wildly popular artists of the day who never had a song appear in an episode.  Michael Jackson, Prince, Madonna, David Bowie (I think), Depeche Mode (I think), The Police, and many other chart toppers were never used on the show.  My question is how did they decide which songs to use.  Was it just a matter of vibe and lyrics that fit the theme of the episode or were licensing concerns the deciding factor? Or was it both both?  Is anybody aware of any instance where the show wanted to use a song but couldn't get permission?  I've been trying to look at the music used on the show as a whole, based on its artistic qualities, trying to find a common theme.  At this point all I can say is there seemed to be preference for music with an edgy, dark quality.  Maybe you could call it "alternative".  But, this clearly wasn't always the case-- El DeBarge, Guns N Roses and Bon Jovi all fit very comfortably in the mainstream.  So, what all went into the decision to use a song?  Also, how would you characterize the music as a whole?                

I always imagined with both the lyrics/vibe and the budget—it came down to whatever fit the bill. 

I know I’m probably one pun away from getting banned from the sight, but I’m actually being serious on that one! :) 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mirrorimageegamirorrim said:

Vice was famous for its music.  However, there are many wildly popular artists of the day who never had a song appear in an episode.  Michael Jackson, Prince, Madonna, David Bowie (I think), Depeche Mode (I think),                

'Flies on the Windscreen' was heard on El Viejo

The Police “Tea In The Sahara” was on “The Maze” and Madonna’s “Gambler” was on “The Fix”. 

WOW, this is embarrassing.  I remember the gambler song but had no idea it was Madonna.  I can't remember her voice in it.  And I had no idea about the Depeche Mode songs either.  Do you think the song selection fits into a genre?

A lot of the Season 3 and 4 styles of music play on a SiriusXM satellite radio station called “1st Wave”. They call it “Classic Alternative”. I like it!

Yes I listen to that channel a lot of the time I'm travelling as well. Great tunes from the late 70's punk era to modern New Wave and even a bit of techno too.  It was all alternative stations like the alternative music of the day that play on CFNY in Toronto and other stations like Radio Luxemburg in the EU.  Songs and artists were made famous there before they became mainstream and someone at MV had their finger on the pulse of the music of that era. It made Phil Collins a superstar and others like the afore mentioned Fixx and Sting and even my own hometown boys had two songs on MV "Honeymoon Suite".  Kim Mitchel had "Go for Soda" on one episode.

I love the music of the eighties the best, although I grew up just at the end of the seventies, so it was also good to hear songs from groups like Steppenwolf, Lenard Cohen, Joan Armatrading, and others that were just at the end of the 70's.

I think the music fit well and helped tell the storyline. Well picked and well played.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Dadrian said:

I love the Honeymoon Suite songs. I have that album. Very enjoyable if you like 80s rock. 

I enjoy their music - they released some new songs also in around 2008/09 and have just read a new 9 song EP was released by the band at the end of 2016!

The songs featured in Miami Vice were very good and “Bad Attitude” of course from the final episode fitted  so well into the yesterday’s hero’s/ burnt out cops scenario - it was used in the finale as “In the Air Tonight” was used in the Pilot episode 5 years previous.

Edited by Matt5
  • Like 2

Great album! I didn't actually know Johhny but I hung out with his brother Joe back in the 80's. He had a speed shop for hotrods and he was always asking me to go to Johnny's shows around town. I saw the band at a couple of local bars and they had quite the following in the early 80's.

MV put them on the map and they shot into superstardom after being exposed on MV. This happened to many bands and I am so thankful to MV for introducing us to many gendres of music.

Edited by Stinger390X
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Some of the new Honeymoon Suite stuff from last year is good. Of course best known for the importance of “Bad Attitude” in the Miami Vice finale episode. :hippie:

• Administrators

Always thought that the late Robert Palmer's  "Addicted to Love" should've been used. Would've fit very well on "Nobody Lives Forever"

• 4 months later...

To me it seems like that at the beginning of the series they used well known artists and even already established hits. Then, as the show progressed, they gave more unknown artists and songs a chance/ exposure knowing of the impact it can have for the artists. I assume they also did this because they wanted some "fresh" sounds and also budget reasons. I can also imagine that connections played a role...and the music taste of the producers and even the actors. Didn't Don have some say in it, at least later? 

Also, it's interesting to note that sometimes the main songs picked for an episode would be reflected in style by Jan's tunes. Or vice versa.? E.g. Godley & Cremes "Cry" vs Jan's "Definitely Miami",  Phil Collins "I Don't Care Anymore" vs Jan's "No Exit", I think these are the most prominent ones. Can you guys think of any other examples?

Associate Producer Fred Lyle selected the songs and he was a 34year old „music maniac“ (self description) at that time. He was into rarely known bands as well as into chart music but never used something for its name. His key principle was “fit to scene“. Sometimes he had to try lots of songs to find the right one. In Free Verse he mentioned trying 4 or 5 before deciding on „Maybe the poet“ for its perfect lyrics and Carribbean flavor. Sometimes he has to compromise due to rejection of music rights (John Cougar Mellencamp song In Redemption in Blood could not be licensed, that led to use of a Tim Truman demo) sometimes NBC Broadcast Standards division did not allow  to use songs (eg The Pusher by Steppenwolf, Little red Corvette by Prince) for objectionable content. 

• Like 2