Memories of the 80's

Vicefan7777

So I was having a wonderful night of sleep and dreaming about some fond memories of the 80's.  It made me wonder.  Those in the Vice family who lived through this decade. do you have one year that stands out as a great fun year?  For me that would be 1985.  

At the beginning of 85 I was in my senior year at Michigan State University.  I was also in the Air Force ROTC program.  After 3 years of college I was determined to make my final year a fun one. I had good friends who I would hang out with every Saturday morning and play board war games or fantasy role playing games.  Friday night was the time to sit in the tv lounge in my dormitory with a few dozen other students and watch Miami Vice and Dallas.  Then it was off to meet Teresa (a cute freshman I met in January) and we would go to a favorite bar called Dooley's where we would drink and dance until closing time. I was also a member of the college pistol club and became the President of this club in March. 

I remember taking one class that was required for the degree i was pursuing.  It was Statistics in Criminology.  Damn it was the most difficult math class I had ever been in.  If I did not pass this course I would have to go to summer school.  I was actually scared.  I wanted to graduate in June.  I  studied so much I fried my brain.  I passed--barely.  

When spring term came the ROTC program had it's annual dinner/dance/banquet for the senior cadets.  I of course asked Teresa to be my date and she said yes.  So I decided to make this night really special and rented a small limousine that my student budget could afford.    Our parents were invited too and I told Mom and Dad what I had planned. I had driven to the building about five miles away from campus where the banquet was to be held and parked my car.  Dad gave me a ride back to the dorm.  It was three hours before I was to be picked up by the limo.  I got a phone call from the company.  They had bad news for me.  The limo I rented broke down and was being towed to a garage for repairs.  I panicked.  I told the company caller that my car was already parked and there was no way to get a hold of my Dad. Remember this was before cell phones.  Then I was told not to worry.  The company was going to send the deluxe limo at no extra charge.  WooHoo!!  The limo arrived 45 minutes early.  Teresa's dormitory was next door to mine. I got in and a lady was my driver.  She asked what the special occasion was and I told her that this was the senior banquet and I wanted to surprise my date with a limo ride.  I will never forget what she said.  "Where were guys like you when I was in college?" So she drove next door and I told her to park the car out of sight.  I went to Teresa's room and her roommate answered.  Teresa was in the shower and I heard he yell, "Why are you so early?"  Thinking fast I replied,  "Because I missed you."  So she got dressed and put  on her make-up.  She was done five minutes before I was originally scheduled to arrive.  We walked outside and I turned her around to face away from the street.  I told her to close her eyes.  I then signaled for the limo.  There were several girls near us and one said.  "Keep your eyes closed!  It will be worth it."  The limo stopped and I told Teresa to look.  She screamed a happy scream and we got in.  Traffic we really light and we got there in less than 15 minutes.  Well all I can say is the rest of the evening was perfect.  When I drive us back to campus she told me I made her feel like Cinderella.  She couldn't wait to brag to her friends. 

A few weeks later it was graduation time.  My parents came back and on the Saturday following Final Exam week I was in a lecture hall with maybe 1000 students from the College of Social Science and we listened to a state senator give a speech.  After that was finished I and my parents had a few hours to kill until I was to attend the ceremony for my officer's commission.  We had lunch at a steak house then back to my dorm room to put on my uniform.  Off we went.  We got there and out of a freshman class of 200 cadets there was 16 of us left.  We listened to a guest General and then had us raise our right hands to take the oath to protect and defend the Constitution of the United States.  My parents pinned on my lieutenants bars and I was officially a member of the Air Force.  

We packed up my belongings and drove 4 hours back to my hometown.  Now according to my written orders I had the next 4 months off before reporting to Lackland TX for Security Police training.  What was I going to do??  My best friend from high school called to congratulate me and suggested I spend the summer in Detroit with him.  I said yes and it was a great decision.  I could write for pages about the fun we had together that summer.  If you want to read about it let me know.  Let's just say I laughed so much and had a great time.  

In October I reported for duty at the Security Police Academy.  I meet new lieutenants from across the country.  Even had three Marines doing cross training.  Learned how to shot an M-16 and a 203 grenade launcher.  (Just like Al Pacino shoots in the final act of Scarface) Let me say that launcher has one hell of a kick!!  The city of San Antonio was a paradise for a single guy.  Great nightclubs and tourist attractions. The school work was tough, but we had the weekends free.  After 8 weeks we where done.  I drove back to Michigan to spend Christmas with my family.  Then it was time to head to Minot North Dakota and report to Strategic Air Command's 91st Security Police Group. 

Such a memorable year.  I wish i could relive it all over again. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Vicefan7777 said:

So I was having a wonderful night of sleep and dreaming about some fond memories of the 80's.  It made me wonder.  Those in the Vice family who lived through this decade. do you have one year that stands out as a great fun year?  For me that would be 1985.  

At the beginning of 85 I was in my senior year at Michigan State University.  I was also in the Air Force ROTC program.  After 3 years of college I was determined to make my final year a fun one. I had good friends who I would hang out with every Saturday morning and play board war games or fantasy role playing games.  Friday night was the time to sit in the tv lounge in my dormitory with a few dozen other students and watch Miami Vice and Dallas.  Then it was off to meet Teresa (a cute freshman I met in January) and we would go to a favorite bar called Dooley's where we would drink and dance until closing time. I was also a member of the college pistol club and became the President of this club in March. 

I remember taking one class that was required for the degree i was pursuing.  It was Statistics in Criminology.  Damn it was the most difficult math class I had ever been in.  If I did not pass this course I would have to go to summer school.  I was actually scared.  I wanted to graduate in June.  I  studied so much I fried my brain.  I passed--barely.  

When spring term came the ROTC program had it's annual dinner/dance/banquet for the senior cadets.  I of course asked Teresa to be my date and she said yes.  So I decided to make this night really special and rented a small limousine that my student budget could afford.    Our parents were invited too and I told Mom and Dad what I had planned. I had driven to the building about five miles away from campus where the banquet was to be held and parked my car.  Dad gave me a ride back to the dorm.  It was three hours before I was to be picked up by the limo.  I got a phone call from the company.  They had bad news for me.  The limo I rented broke down and was being towed to a garage for repairs.  I panicked.  I told the company caller that my car was already parked and there was no way to get a hold of my Dad. Remember this was before cell phones.  Then I was told not to worry.  The company was going to send the deluxe limo at no extra charge.  WooHoo!!  The limo arrived 45 minutes early.  Teresa's dormitory was next door to mine. I got in and a lady was my driver.  She asked what the special occasion was and I told her that this was the senior banquet and I wanted to surprise my date with a limo ride.  I will never forget what she said.  "Where were guys like you when I was in college?" So she drove next door and I told her to park the car out of sight.  I went to Teresa's room and her roommate answered.  Teresa was in the shower and I heard he yell, "Why are you so early?"  Thinking fast I replied,  "Because I missed you."  So she got dressed and put  on her make-up.  She was done five minutes before I was originally scheduled to arrive.  We walked outside and I turned her around to face away from the street.  I told her to close her eyes.  I then signaled for the limo.  There were several girls near us and one said.  "Keep your eyes closed!  It will be worth it."  The limo stopped and I told Teresa to look.  She screamed a happy scream and we got in.  Traffic we really light and we got there in less than 15 minutes.  Well all I can say is the rest of the evening was perfect.  When I drive us back to campus she told me I made her feel like Cinderella.  She couldn't wait to brag to her friends. 

A few weeks later it was graduation time.  My parents came back and on the Saturday following Final Exam week I was in a lecture hall with maybe 1000 students from the College of Social Science and we listened to a state senator give a speech.  After that was finished I and my parents had a few hours to kill until I was to attend the ceremony for my officer's commission.  We had lunch at a steak house then back to my dorm room to put on my uniform.  Off we went.  We got there and out of a freshman class of 200 cadets there was 16 of us left.  We listened to a guest General and then had us raise our right hands to take the oath to protect and defend the Constitution of the United States.  My parents pinned on my lieutenants bars and I was officially a member of the Air Force.  

We packed up my belongings and drove 4 hours back to my hometown.  Now according to my written orders I had the next 4 months off before reporting to Lackland TX for Security Police training.  What was I going to do??  My best friend from high school called to congratulate me and suggested I spend the summer in Detroit with him.  I said yes and it was a great decision.  I could write for pages about the fun we had together that summer.  If you want to read about it let me know.  Let's just say I laughed so much and had a great time.  

In October I reported for duty at the Security Police Academy.  I meet new lieutenants from across the country.  Even had three Marines doing cross training.  Learned how to shot an M-16 and a 203 grenade launcher.  (Just like Al Pacino shoots in the final act of Scarface) Let me say that launcher has one hell of a kick!!  The city of San Antonio was a paradise for a single guy.  Great nightclubs and tourist attractions. The school work was tough, but we had the weekends free.  After 8 weeks we where done.  I drove back to Michigan to spend Christmas with my family.  Then it was time to head to Minot North Dakota and report to Strategic Air Command's 91st Security Police Group. 

Such a memorable year.  I wish i could relive it all over again. 

A wonderful and heartfelt post ViceFan7777 thankyou for posting - I really enjoyed reading this and related to much :hippie:

• 1 month later...

Fondest 80's year I remember would be 1987. Why? Because it's the first one I can remember, as I was only 3 years old, lol. I have a lot of home movies that helped fuel those memories, so they've never left me. Birthday parties, holidays, etc...

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

Born in 1978, my memories of that decade are very vague and distant. No particular year during the 80s stood out in for me, but as a child I had some life milestones (start of school etc..). Like all people of my age I suppose.

The first and most distant memory was the Italian nation football team winning the world cup in 1982. Obviously I had no understanding of football yet but I remember seeing all those crazy adults yelling at the TV and punching the air every now and then. Then of course, my dad explained it all to me. 

Other fond memories are my first day at primary school (September '84), first friends made (and my first shenanigans with them in and out school :p), my first bmx and the Christmas presents! Yes, as 80s child I did love Xmas! Back then it was fantastic. I used to look forward for two xmas presents  (and what presents) each year, one from my parents and one from my uncles who joined us for xmas dinner every year. They always brought along my cousins who are more or less same age as me. We played together for hours and hours and didn't want them to leave. And the same again for my birthday in February :).

And in 1985 my younger sister was born, I was no longer alone :).

Other than that, I have pop culture memories and recollections from American TV shows of the time (A-Team, Magum PI, Knight Rider, V...and of course MV which I couldn't really appreciate as a child though), our own national stuff on TV/media and football (soccer for ya) achievements of my favorite team.

• Like 2

i was a kid in the 80s. my dad worked in south america, and my days were made of school, bmx with friends, sport (lot of), and chasing tropical insects, and girls. and of course listening to cool pop music, and hard rock all day long. definitely some of the best days of my life. but no TV, and no MV series. as we were lost in the jungle, and we couldn't grab any signal there. they tried once by buying a huge parabolic antenna, but they failed miserably. i didn't see the series when it aired, but i saw the damage Escobar did to his country. a terrible damage. now that i became a MV fan, i often think of the small propellers we used to hear from time to time there; and if these weren't smuggling OPs. i guess i'll never know

oh and i was about to forgot. this is when my dad brought me on holidays to Miami. a place (city and the swamp) that never came out from my brain since

Edited by jpaul1
  • Like 1