MAKE YOUR OWN HENLEY (PHOTOS!)

COOPER&BURNETT

Here's how to make your own henley:All you need to do is find a polo shirt that has a fine 100% cotton (not a heavy cotton, but more of a lighter weight cotton / brushed cotton), three buttons, no logos on the chest, pastel, and a collar that is exactly the same color as the shirt. All you need to do is cut off the collar! That's it!! I bought a pastel pink and pastel baby blue. It looks fantastic!I cut the collar off as close as I could to the stitching (I cut the neck stitching once or twice by mistake cutting the collar off a little TOO closely, and it will someday come appart, so please don't cut off too much too close to the stitching. One mistake could cause disaster. I'm going to buy more of these shirts to have more colors, and to correct what I did wrong (cutting too close to the neck stitching), so that these next ones will last a long time, and won't eventually fall apart. I was amazed that it worked as well as it did...didn't even fray!Give it a shot! ........Show off your "VICENESS"!Eingefügtes BildEingefügtes BildEingefügtes BildEingefügtes BildI got mine on sale for about $14.00. I suppose you could find some even cheaper at stores like ROSS, MARSHALLS (where you could also find a Crockett blazer, check out my post on Marshalls Crockett blazers...), T.J. MAXX.The ones I found were almost perfect. The lighter, thinner the cotton, the better it will look. I had henleys like the original ( again, read my posts about Henley double swan shirts...), and they were 100% cotton, and manufactured without the collar.Remember, don't cut too close to the seams and stitching on the collar! Also, make certain that the collar that your going to cut, and remove is the EXACT color of the shirt, so the color blends in. These work so well!

• Like 1

I think the name of the type of cotton polo that I do NOT like for this is called, "pique'". This type of cotton tends to have (looking closely) tiny little "holes" or "indentations" in the fabric. I like cotton to look like the materiel on a hanes cotton t-shirt. Smooth surface, not rough.Of course, you may choose whatever fabric you wish, I'm just telling you my preference, and to choose something closer to Crockett's shirts.

Guest myonlyvice

You're right. It looks fantastic! I think the trick with this is to find polos with three buttons instead of 2. Most have 2 that I've noticed. Thank you!

I've notice that in may cases, if you choose a henley that has three buttons, there is wide seperation between each button on the placket, therefore if you unbutton all three buttons, the gap opend darn near to the middle of your chest!The photo above shows the buttons pretty close together, therefore one can open all three buttons, and it looks like Crockett's henley.One more time for those that don't know. The henleys that Crockett wore were NOT dyed white henleys, they were made pastel at the factory, and they didn't start off with collars, they were made in China as henleys.

• 1 year later...

Thanks Cooper, only just found this thread. Had never thought of making my own henley shirts. Will be going out next week and buying some polo shirts and sharp scissors. Thanks again. Pure genius.:thumbsup::cheers:

Thanks Cooper' date=' only just found this thread. Had never thought of making my own henley shirts. Will be going out next week and buying some polo shirts and sharp scissors. Thanks again. Pure genius.:thumbsup::cheers:[/quote']I'm always happy when someone appreciates what I do.When someone kindly tells me thanks, it just makes what I do ....WORTH IT! :thumbsup:

Thanks Cooper' date=' only just found this thread. Had never thought of making my own henley shirts. Will be going out next week and buying some polo shirts and sharp scissors. Thanks again. Pure genius.:thumbsup::cheers:[/quote']I'm always happy when someone appreciates what I do.When someone kindly tells me thanks, it just makes what I do ....WORTH IT! :thumbsup:Oh, and the part about "pure genius", well,....I'm not going to argue. :o:)

I have always had a problem finding those type of shirts in the local stores, in Australia. Always heaps of polo shirts. Often thought pity they had no collar, but never thought of cutting it off. Just proves through asking questions and posting on this forum that someone will nearly always have, or find, a solution. :thumbsup:

COOPER&BURNETT,Thank your for your idea,it's very useful since there are no heaps of pastel-colored,Crockett-like henleys in stores around here in my country.I'll try it out!