Crockett's cars and wardrobe

mrp

Hi. I'm new fan of Miami Vice. It's hard to believe, but few weeks ago I started to watch this for first time...

I'm wondering how Crockett can afford for that luxury... He earns 400$ per week?

Edited by mrp

Welcome to the site!

He doesn’t afford them. All his nice stuff belongs to the department. They give him and Tubbs everything they need to legitimately appear as drug dealers. They will allude to this here and there as you continue to watch the show. 

Edited by Dadrian

5 hours ago, mrp said:

Hi. I'm new fan of Miami Vice. It's hard to believe, but few weeks ago I started to watch this for first time...

I'm wondering how Crockett can afford for that luxury... He earns 400$ per week?

Welcome to a great site about a great show..:hippie: As Tubbs told Crockett in Season 3s "Lend Me an Ear", ' all department owned my friend' !

1 hour ago, Matt5 said:

As Tubbs told Crockett in Season 3s "Lend Me an Ear", ' all department owned my friend' !

Yes, the writers REALLY went out of their way to address this issue in that episode devoting an entire little side story with Crockett trying to get a small personal loan in various scenes (to no avail). 

Edited by Dadrian

3 hours ago, Dadrian said:

Yes, the writers REALLY went out of their way to address this issue in that episode devoting an entire little side story with Crockett trying to get a small personal loan in various scenes (to no avail). 

I do know this was done to ensure that the viewer didn't think Crockett and Tubbs for that matter were on the take.

It's reinforced in Prodigal Son in J. J. Johnston's office.

12 hours ago, Matt5 said:

Welcome to a great site about a great show..:hippie: As Tubbs told Crockett in Season 3s "Lend Me an Ear", ' all department owned my friend' !

I want to join Matt5 in welcoming you this great Miami Vice site, mrp! 

In the last episode Sonny says goodbye to Tubbs & says he's taking the Testarossa. I guess he felt that he earned it!

8 hours ago, Tony D. said:

I want to join Matt5 in welcoming you this great Miami Vice site, mrp! 

In the last episode Sonny says goodbye to Tubbs & says he's taking the Testarossa. I guess he felt that he earned it!

Thankyou Tony:hippie:

19 hours ago, Dadrian said:

Yes I think it was well done and written into this episode well- also was mentioned by Crockett in “Like a Hurricane” to Caitlin :hippie:

• Administrators
On 27/04/2018 at 8:41 PM, mrp said:

The cars and clothes are all confiscated for ill-gotten-gains. And the department puts them to use to help their covers. It's mentioned in multiple episodes. 

However I think Crockett owns the speedboat?

• 6 months later...

On 4/27/2018 at 12:35 PM, Matt5 said:

On 4/27/2018 at 1:35 PM, Dadrian said:

Also in Whatever Works  the government confiscates Crockett's Daytona in case anyone didn't get the message.

Is there any other point in the show where they refer to the clothes and the cars as department-owned?  I feel like it was mentioned in Brother's Keeper, but I can't think of an example.

10 minutes ago, airtommy said:

Also in Whatever Works  the government confiscates Crockett's Daytona in case anyone didn't get the message.

Is there any other point in the show where they refer to the clothes and the cars as department-owned?  I feel like it was mentioned in Brother's Keeper, but I can't think of an example.

Yes I think you're right it was mentioned in "Brothers Keeper" as watched recently but can't think of the actual example either. It certainly was mentioned in Season 4s "Like A Hurricane" when Sonny and Caitlin went for dinner (oysters).

3 minutes ago, Matt5 said:

Yes I think you're right it was mentioned in "Brothers Keeper" as watched recently but can't think of the actual example either. It certainly was mentioned in Season 4s "Like A Hurricane" when Sonny and Caitlin went for dinner (oysters).

Good one!

Caitlin:  "Is everything of yours that fast?"

Sonny:  "What'd you have in mind?"

Caitlin:  Well, your car, your clothes. When do you find time to play cops and robbers?

Sonny:  "I don't play. These clothes are confiscated and the department loans them to me to keep up my front. I don't even own the damn shoes I'm wearing. My take home is 475 a week, and I'm just a working stiff, lady."

https://www.springfieldspringfield.co.uk/view_episode_scripts.php?tv-show=miami-vice&episode=s04e08