Rare Movie Soundtracks / Scores

Marc

Share soundtracks you like that go unnoticed, no John Williams or Hans Zimmer that's too easy. :p 

They don't have to be good or noteable films, sometimes great pieces of music that touch you can be are used in totally forgettably movies. 

Bangkok Dangerous (2008) with Nic Cage is a 5.8/10 IMDB flick that I can't really remember much about but I still listen to this piece.

Paul Hertzog’s scores of “Bloodsport” and “Kickboxer” were always favorites of my mine, particularly the former. The movies are comical now, but still hold a dear place in my heart because of my ninja-worshipping childhood. :) 

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

The only rare movie score that I want that still hasn't been released officially is Top Gun. I'm holding out hope though. Harold Faltermeyer's scores to Beverly Hills Cop 1 and 2 were released for the first time last November. Pretty sure those are Paramount movies as well. I bought my copies. If they sold well enough, maybe Paramount will see that there IS an interest in old movie scores. So hopefully Top Gun ain't too far off.

• Like 4

• 4 months later...

Instrumental music has been my very first love, before I started producing singers. So I always loved soundtracks, from classic composers and orchestrators like Hamlisch or Mancini, to TV masters like Mike Post, and I have a special feeling for the works of James Newton Howard and Alan Silvestri, I always loved his score to Romancing The Stone (1984). I love actually anything they scored. It's no coincidence they had their blast in the 80s. Faltermeyer's Beverly Hills Cop was also one of my favorites, (And Tango & Cash too)  along with the works of a certain Jan Hammer, whose talent I appreciate since the early 70s (Mahavishnu Orchestra, BIlly Cobham etc.).

Speaking about less known soundtracks I'd mention Manhunter and To Live And Die in L.A., from British band Wang Chung, but there are a lot more I don't recall now.
Moroder's Top Gun is also great, and even greater is Midnight Express. A special mention deserves the action comedy Running Scared, with some of my all time favorites music people: the genius of Rod Temperton, Fee Waybill of Tubes fame, and Michael McDonald.

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

some Italian documentary about motorsports from 1983. the original score is pretty good.

here's the trailer which has some uplifting 80's song cut with crash footage. ?(

• Like 2

Are we talking film scores or soundtracks, or both?  I've always been a fan of the songs used in Garden State.  I can't comment on the score of the film.  I've only seen it once, but I've listened to the songs used in the soundtrack hundreds of times.  The score to Quigley Down Under by Basil Poledouris is great music, but unfortunately never released on an album.  He scored many other films you'd recognize.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/10/2018 at 7:43 AM, Jerry B. said:

Instrumental music has been my very first love, before I started producing singers. So I always loved soundtracks, from classic composers and orchestrators like Hamlisch or Mancini, to TV masters like Mike Post, and I have a special feeling for the works of James Newton Howard and Alan Silvestri, I always loved his score to Romancing The Stone (1984). I love actually anything they scored. It's no coincidence they had their blast in the 80s. Faltermeyer's Beverly Hills Cop was also one of my favorites, (And Tango & Cash too)  along with the works of a certain Jan Hammer, whose talent I appreciate since the early 70s (Mahavishnu Orchestra, BIlly Cobham etc.).

Speaking about less known soundtracks I'd mention Manhunter and To Live And Die in L.A., from British band Wang Chung, but there are a lot more I don't recall now.
Moroder's Top Gun is also great, and even greater is Midnight Express. A special mention deserves the action comedy Running Scared, with some of my all time favorites music people: the genius of Rod Temperton, Fee Waybill of Tubes fame, and Michael McDonald.

https://giphy.com/gifs/billy-crystal-gregory-hines-running-scared-wIHXnm2ZpJ1oOkGG3U

https://music.youtube.com/watch?v=w263j4VrCxk&feature=share

Edited by codemaster94
  • Like 2

Yes, Codemaster, what a soundtrack! Terrific cast on it: Tubes' Fee Waybill, Patti LaBelle, Mike McDonald and scre music (and songs too) from the highly missed Rod Temperton. All in one movie.

• Like 1

It was always strange to me that Giorgio Moroder, the father of electronic and disco music and the composer for such big movies like Scarface, Top Gun and Cat People didn't release complete score albums for them. There were some releases containing music that appeared in Scarface and there was an album for Cat People too but if you listen carefully there are some noticeable differences between the track mixes and their arrangement in the movie and the version made for the LP/CD album.

Considering the huge popularity of Scarface and its game sequel it is really odd that there was no official and complete release of its music score (although there are lots of bootleg/isolated soundtrack albums posted in Blogs and YouTube).

This trip-hop track from 1995 samples and builds upon John Barry's 1971 Diamonds are Forever really well. 

John Barry is probably my favourite composer of all time and made a huge impression on me as a kid.

23 hours ago, Marc said:

John Barry is probably my favourite composer of all time and made a huge impression on me as a kid.

I really liked his soundtrack for Game Of Death (1978). It's magnificent.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've not seen the film but the trailer looks very stylish and good use of Operatic and synth score.

The chase scene music at 1:24 is very Jan Hammer-esque and from 1981.. Full track below.