Warm Weather and Nostalgia

Marco Falcone

When the weather starts to warm up where I live, (not that it ever gets really cold here), the 80’s nostalgia and Vice-ness really comes on strong...

Warm sunny days, mild nights...

This is when the Vice DVD’s pretty much live in the DVD player.

This is when my 80’s Vice music playlist stays on constant rotation in the car.

This is when ‘80’s on 8, Hair Nation, and Classic Rewind are always on in the house.

This is when I think about my first car in high school,  a white ‘64 Ford Falcon Sprint.  Hardtop, with a Kenwood auto-reverse tape deck and those sweet Pioneer 3-way 6x9’s cut into the rear deck.  Blasting the soundtrack cassette just bought with tips from delivering pizzas.

This is when I dress like an odd combination of Crockett and Zito;  Light-colored chinos or faded jeans, white/light colored shoes with no socks, and the untucked button down shirt patterned like a Crockett-esque blazer.  (I carry AIWB, so the untucked shirt works perfectly.)

This is when my 16 year-old daughter, (who loves 80’s music), sees the way I’m dressed and gives me the “kinda-sad-smile with a just the slightest head shake” look.

This is when I don’t take my Wayfarers off when I’m shopping in Target.

This is when I start answering my phone with “Yeah?”

This is when I wish they did “Dance on the Bay” nights like we had in high school where they rent out a ferry boat, put a DJ on it and cruise the bay for a few of hours, but for grown ups.  So I could go and buy an off-white linen suit and mint green T-shirt and the wife get a metallic black and purple dress with pointy shoulders and we could go dance to “Boat Party.”   (Might have to try and set one up this summer.  An 80’s nostalgia cruise with proper music and proper dress code.)

This is when I drink Jack Daniels in my hot tub.  On a weeknight.

This is when I can’t believe I married the gal I crushed on in high school.  20 years and an ugly divorce later.  (Almost mandatory for cops it seems.  Another thing Vice got right.)

Anyway, when the sun comes out, how do YOU crank up the Vice lifestyle?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Marco Falcone said:

When the weather starts to warm up where I live, (not that it ever gets really cold here), the 80’s nostalgia and Vice-ness really comes on strong...

Warm sunny days, mild nights...

This is when the Vice DVD’s pretty much live in the DVD player.

This is when my 80’s Vice music playlist stays on constant rotation in the car.

This is when ‘80’s on 8, Hair Nation, and Classic Rewind are always on in the house.

This is when I think about my first car in high school,  a white ‘64 Ford Falcon Sprint.  Hardtop, with a Kenwood auto-reverse tape deck and those sweet Pioneer 3-way 6x9’s cut into the rear deck.  Blasting the soundtrack cassette just bought with tips from delivering pizzas.

This is when I dress like an odd combination of Crockett and Zito;  Light-colored chinos or faded jeans, white/light colored shoes with no socks, and the untucked button down shirt patterned like a Crockett-esque blazer.  (I carry AIWB, so the untucked shirt works perfectly.)

This is when my 16 year-old daughter, (who loves 80’s music), sees the way I’m dressed and gives me the “kinda-sad-smile with a just the slightest head shake” look.

This is when I don’t take my Wayfarers off when I’m shopping in Target.

This is when I start answering my phone with “Yeah?”

This is when I wish they did “Dance on the Bay” nights like we had in high school where they rent out a ferry boat, put a DJ on it and cruise the bay for a few of hours, but for grown ups.  So I could go and buy an off-white linen suit and mint green T-shirt and the wife get a metallic black and purple dress with pointy shoulders and we could go dance to “Boat Party.”   (Might have to try and set one up this summer.  An 80’s nostalgia cruise with proper music and proper dress code.)

This is when I drink Jack Daniels in my hot tub.  On a weeknight.

This is when I can’t believe I married the gal I crushed on in high school.  20 years and an ugly divorce later.  (Almost mandatory for cops it seems.  Another thing Vice got right.)

Anyway, when the sun comes out, how do YOU crank up the Vice lifestyle?

What a great post - I really enjoyed reading this! Here's to the hot days and mild nights - I love them too!

Edited by Matt5

I started working on my tan this Monday. Also thinking of growing my hair out in the back, season 4-5ish like again. Gonna be wearing my season 1-2 sunglasses and Carrera look alikes instead of season 4-5 sunglasses. I hope i can buy a yellow and pink jacket from ZARA this summer. Maybe even a new leather jacket. 

Definetly listening to Jan Hammer tracks, 80s music and this sort of summery/beach/club music. Italo disco artists like Fancy and Modern Talking are gonna play for sure.

Perfect time to go undercover. 

Edited by ViceofEstonia
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, ViceofEstonia said:

I started working on my tan this Monday. Also thinking of growing my hair out in the back, season 4-5ish like again. Gonna be wearing my season 1-2 sunglasses and Carrera look alikes instead of season 4-5 sunglasses. I hope i can buy a yellow and pink jacket from ZARA this summer. Maybe even a new leather jacket. 

Definetly listening to Jan Hammer tracks, 80s music and this sort of summery/beach/club music. Italo disco artists like Fancy and Modern Talking are gonna play for sure.

Perfect time to go undercover. 

Great to read. :hippie:

• Like 1

I put on my 80s pleated pants, grey boat shoes and a vintage 80s Le Tigre shirt and I am back in my 20s.  I wear these clothes proudly.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Vicefan7777 said:

I put on my 80s pleated pants, grey boat shoes and a vintage 80s Le Tigre shirt and I am back in my 20s.  I wear these clothes proudly.  

Great to wear just tees in the Summer or hot weather I love it!:)

• Administrators

Haha yep, that's definitely me in summer too. Slip ons with no socks, light coloured pants, pastel shirts, blazers. 

However winter is here in the Southern Hemisphere so now I'm leaving Miami-mode and entering what I call "New York" mode. This is when I stop watching and wearing Miami Vice, and start watching and wearing The Sopranos. Also putting the 80s music on hold until November-December and heading into 40s-50s jazz/lounge, rock and roll, 60s music, 70s disco, occasionally 90s.

Time to get the jackets out of the closet. 

22 minutes ago, James said:

Haha yep, that's definitely me in summer too. Slip ons with no socks, light coloured pants, pastel shirts, blazers. 

However winter is here in the Southern Hemisphere so now I'm leaving Miami-mode and entering what I call "New York" mode. This is when I stop watching and wearing Miami Vice, and start watching and wearing The Sopranos. Also putting the 80s music on hold until November-December and heading into 40s-50s jazz/lounge, rock and roll, 60s music, 70s disco, occasionally 90s.

Time to get the jackets out of the closet. 

The Sopranos is a really great show.:funky: