Will we ever see unreleased music from episodes by Jan Hammer released?

Assasinge

Just wondering, will we ever get music like "Lost" or "The Robbery" or "Remission"? Anytime soon? I'd love to be able to get my hands on those tracks, it's a shame he never released everything.

We usually arrive at something like “maybe, but probably not” in threads like this. ;(

• Sad 1

41 minutes ago, Dadrian said:

We usually arrive at something like “maybe, but probably not” in threads like this. ;(

Damn that sucks. Thanks anyway.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dadrian said:

Well, in a way yes, through @Dadrian's awesome covers! :thumbsup:, but from JH himself, probably not anytime soon. ;(

Edited by Retro80sfan
  • Thanks 1

• 4 months later...

I don't think that we will get that material from Jan Hammer personally but there is one little surprise for you located in YouTube, was released recently :rolleyes: Just check for [MIAMI VICE]

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Voodoo Vice Dealer said:

I don't think that we will get that material from Jan Hammer personally but there is one little surprise for you located in YouTube, was released recently :rolleyes: Just check for [MIAMI VICE]

I think I found it. 

I have a bunch of WAV files like this for entire episodes on my computer. Nice to see them being posted for others to enjoy. Really great stuff. Thanks for the heads up! 

• Like 2

Here is a bit of off-topic about the soundtrack mentioned above:

It has been a long time since I wanted to compile each track that appeared in each Miami Vice episode and release that as an album per episode. After that I started researching about people/channels who already did similar things (such as Crockettt1984, Bosagentos, Marty Castillo, MiamiVIceOST, SonnyBurnett1988, etc...) and Jan Hammer unreleased music cover makers such as Dadrian Wilson (who I would really like to thank for the enormous work put in the covers which I listen many times a day) and Rick Leon.

I've noticed that most of the channels only released ripped and isolated single tracks from different episodes of the DVD edition of Miami Vice. That made me think about why there wasn't any entire album with such isolated tracks and it was really upsetting (at least for me :)) so I decided to make this happen. So yes, YouTube channel RaudioCSAR and me is the same person :cool:

I already had some experience with soundtrack isolation before when I was working on some rare and unreleased Hong Kong movie soundtracks which are now available in my channel but the only thing I needed was an original Blu ray file from the series so that I could start working (I did not want to work with DVD because many channels listed before already did that and because Blu ray audio files are usually in higher quality). And this did happen! In 2016 the Miami Vice Blu Ray is released and by 2017-2018 some of the Blu Ray rip and remux versions started appearing in some websites.

This is how the idea of the album was born. After the rip and the isolation of the soundtrack from the MV episode Blu ray file (which I have to admit is not quite perfect because there are some coding problems that don't allow the audio to be heard on mobile devices) I polished and organized the tracks. The last thing about the soundtrack part was the name of the tracks.

Usually I just name the music pieces as Track 01, Track 11, Track XX and so on but in this case I checked Crockettt1984's channel for cue name reference so that the fans would not get lost and called them by their most well known names, then I also gave some tracks/cues their respective names from Jan Hammer official Miami Vice albums (even though they may not be the exact versions, just variations because Jan edited the original music pieces that appeared in the series into 3 minute ones so that they could get released avoiding legal problems with Universal or because he liked it that way as we already know).

• Like 2

Very cool. Looking forward to more videos.

My rips started around 2006 for personal use. I named the MP3s with titles that would help me recognize them. After sharing them with people on my mailing list, they started turning up in different places here and there with those titles. So I inadvertently :) coined titles like “Tubbs and Crockett Meet” and “Southern Law Enforcement” (and a hundred others). 

Now if I could just find the time to knock those covers out after all these years. :p

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Dadrian said:

My rips started around 2006 for personal use. I named the MP3s with titles that would help me recognize them. After sharing them with people on my mailing list, they started turning up in different places here and there with those titles. So I inadvertently :) coined titles like “Tubbs and Crockett Meet” and “Southern Law Enforcement” (and a hundred others). 

So it was you who named them! :o :)

When I started researching the track names I was soo confused! Too many names for the same music pieces :)

I think I'll stick with your names and the Crockettt1984 channel ones. Your titles are universally known among the fans. 

Some months ago I also found a similar unofficial soundtrack album for another Miami Vice episode, that's the one: 

But in my case I will only release Jan Hammer, John Petersen and Tim Truman music.

The only problem I'm facing now is related with a ''Fake'' Song (http://miamivice.wikia.com/wiki/"Fake"_Songs) that appears in Heart Of Darkness, which cannot be isolated properly.

• Like 1

Haha yes, and Crockettt uses many of my old titles, too. It was never by design, but like you said: that’s what the fans have come to know them as. Crockettt’s rips are from the European discs, so they are in a higher key than the original broadcast pitch, but there are MANY European fans that those keys are all they’ve ever known.

As for the rips, the problem for me with the season one tracks is that some of the score sounds are exclusively in the center channel with the dialogue, so if you take out the dialogue you also lose that part of the cue. All the other seasons have pretty much everything in the score panned to the front and rear LR channels. I don’t know what kind of weird stereo-ish technology they used in season one (even Jan Hammer wasn’t sure about it), but it certainly made for some strange 5.1 mastering. 

Edited by Dadrian
  • Like 1

• Administrators

To answer the original question:  Dadrian  yes, Jan Hammer no

....and I challenge you to tell the difference!

• Like 3

Thank you for uploading the brother's keeper "album", Voodoo Vice Dealer! I always wanted to have an isolated version of that extended Miami Vice theme, when Crockett is being introduced talking to his then partner (?) and some street guys are breakdancing (?) to the theme that just keeps going on (not sure if I remember that correctly).
Love those cowbells or whatever they are. 

Now, that "fake" tunes thing is completely new to me - and I'm baffled that exactly that MV theme extension is listed among them??
How is that supposed to be fake? This is not by Jan Hammer? I always figured he just kept it rolling after the intro, mixing around with the single tracks. And adding a bit like the cowbell.

Personally I don't see the problem with these fakes, Voodoo Vice Dealer (cool name btw ;-)). I would just keep them in when you rip those "albums". Looking forward to them! (After all, there are still a few themes that have not shown up on youtube yet despite all the channels you listed ;-))
Cheers!
p.s.: So who's perfoming all these fakes anyway? Just some cheap random studio artists? 

• Like 1

Glad to see you back, @Den Taylor

The “fake” tunes are Jan Hammer cues that are supposed to be something the actors are hearing with you—like when “Shortstop” is breakdancing in the pilot, or when they find the wire on Tubbs in the limo in “Heart of Darkness”. “Fake” is such a negative word that it’s hard to associate it with our favorite scoreman. :p

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...