New Don Johnson movie “Book Club” out today

Matt5

Don Johnson stars in this Paramount Pictures comedy out Today, May 18th, starring Diane Keaton, Jane Fonda, Candice Bergen, Richard Dreyfuss and Alicia Silverstone. 

Don has been doing the rounds for this and promoting the movie for which Jane Fonda recommended him.

Don was at the East Coast premiere in NYC two days ago.

A8100F3B-222E-4296-A3A6-BF5B7070322D.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

He was on Andy Cohen's Bravo show last night. He was asked about the Vice reboot with Vin Diesel and he said it's hard to catch a genie in a bottle of something of a particular time and he wasn't interested in it.

• Like 2

Just saw the interview. Wow, DJ immediately dismisses the idea. I had thought, he would have considered it, at least. Although I do agree, that Miami Vice shouldn't be resurrected. It was something unique and special for that time, with the spirit and culture of the 80's and can't be recreated again. But if the reboot does become a reality, than I would personally wan't to see him and Philip Michael Thomas along with rest of the Vice cast in the new show.  

As Andy said, "we need you guys to turn up somewhere" Would love to see the all of the cast together! :fireworks:

Edited by summer84
  • Like 1

Book Club?!

That doesn’t sound very vicey:(

Anyone remember the ancient thread when we tried to calculate the total # of rounds Crockett fired on the show? Sigh.

Edited by cageyJG

10 hours ago, summer84 said:

Just saw the interview. Wow, DJ immediately dismisses the idea. I had thought, he would have considered it, at least. Although I do agree, that Miami Vice shouldn't be resurrected. It was something unique and special for that time, with the spirit and culture of the 80's and can't be recreated again. But if the reboot does become a reality, than I would personally wan't to see him and Philip Michael Thomas along with rest of the Vice cast in the new show.  

As Andy said, "we need you guys to turn up somewhere" Would love to see the all of the cast together! :fireworks:

I agree to a reboot with DJ & PMT & original cast. This is what I've been asking for several years!  :thumbsup:

12 hours ago, Tony D. said:

I agree to a reboot with DJ & PMT & original cast. This is what I've been asking for several years!  :thumbsup:

I doubt that the original cast will be fully included in the "new" show, but it would be nice to see them at least guest starring in some episodes in the first season. As been discussed before with Crockett's son Billy (which I think should be played by his real life son Jesse) seeking advice from his dad about the things, he has trouble dealing with on the job. And so on...

With that said...

I am personally not for a MV reboot, but if the reboot is realized, than I couldn't imagine the original Vice cast not showing up. 

Edited by summer84
  • Like 2

23 hours ago, summer84 said:

I doubt that the original cast will be fully included in the "new" show, but it would be nice to see them at least guest starring in some episodes in the first season. As been discussed before with Crockett's son Billy (which I think should be played by his real life son Jesse) seeking advice from his dad about the things, he has trouble dealing with on the job. And so on...

With that said...

I am personally not for a MV reboot, but if the reboot is realized, than I couldn't imagine the original Vice cast not showing up. 

Hopefully Executives will take note of the "Roseanne" Reboot of 2018 - all original cast and the biggest hit of the year! Been a massive ratings success starring John Goodman, Roseanne Barr and Sara Gilbert and was billed as the 10th Season.  27 million viewers tuned in for the premiere and although ratings dropped off, which they usually do, average audiences were 20 million per episode.

The show started in 1988 ran for 9 years to 1997 and came back for a 9-episode Season in March 2018 (21 years after the finale) - Roseanne has been renewed now for a bigger 11th Season. 

Edited by Matt5

23 hours ago, summer84 said:

With that said...

https://patch.com/florida/miamibeach/miami-vice-star-don-johnson-open-remake

11 hours ago, Matt5 said:

Hopefully Executives will take note of the "Roseanne" Reboot of 2018 - all original cast and the biggest hit of the year! Been a massive ratings success starring John Goodman, Roseanne Barr and Sara Gilbert and was billed as the 10th Season.  27 million viewers tuned in for the premiere and although ratings dropped off, which they usually do, average audiences were 20 million per episode.

The show started in 1988 ran for 9 years to 1997 and came back for a 9-episode Season in March 2018 (21 years after the finale) - Roseanne has been renewed now for a bigger 11th Season. 

Seeing how other reboots and remakes have failed to succeed, I'm afraid that a Miami Vice reboot wouldn't live up to the fans expectations.  Maybe if the creators of the reboot got some input/assistance from the old Vice production crew. Maybe... 

I'm really not a fan all of these reboots/remakes. These networks gotta come up with some fresh material. :)

Edited by summer84

• Administrators
14 hours ago, Matt5 said:

Yes. With Roseanne, it was a proper reboot, a continuation of the original show. They basically just brought the original show back after so many years, and haven't changed much if anything at all. With the REMAKES like Hawaii 5-0, MacGyver, and now Magnum PI, they're full remakes, they use the original characters and replace the cast, they change the style completely. Reboots only work when it's a continuation, like didn't Dallas get the continuation treatment too? And that was somewhat successful. And don't forget The X-Files!

I have no problem with reboots, but if they could please stop this remake madness, that'll be great. People want to see the shows they love come back because of the nostalgia, but they also want to see it with the original cast they fell in love with in the first place, because those are the people who made the show what it was. 

They could've at least made it Magnum's son or something, and put Tom Selleck in the pilot episode to kick this off. 

I think they tried to do something like that with MacGyver but Richard Dean Anderson didn't want any part. They were trying to make the original MacGyver be current MacGyver's father. They got the original Murdoch to be a villain in an episode. At least they tried. In my opinion, MacGyver is the best remake on TV at the moment.

Miami Vice was made and ended in the 80's, I just wonder will people be as pleased with a modern take on Vice. I don't know, can they get it right? Yes it is great to see a beloved cast back together, but somehow for me can it really be the same again... The same feeling from, when the show was all brand new. I will be curious to see, how it turns out at least. 

A newer article with DJ commenting on a Miami Vice revival. 

http://torontosun.com/entertainment/television/don-johnson-sounds-off-on-miami-vice-and-nash-bridges-reboots

Edited by summer84
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, summer84 said:

Miami Vice was made and ended in the 80's, I just wonder will people be as pleased with a modern take on Vice. I don't know, can they get it right? Yes it is great to see a beloved cast back together, but somehow for me can it really be the same again... The same feeling from, when the show was all brand new. I will be curious to see, how it turns out at least. 

A newer article with DJ commenting on a Miami Vice revival. 

http://torontosun.com/entertainment/television/don-johnson-sounds-off-on-miami-vice-and-nash-bridges-reboots

Thankyou Summer.

On 5/21/2018 at 4:47 AM, James said:

Yes. With Roseanne, it was a proper reboot, a continuation of the original show. They basically just brought the original show back after so many years, and haven't changed much if anything at all. With the REMAKES like Hawaii 5-0, MacGyver, and now Magnum PI, they're full remakes, they use the original characters and replace the cast, they change the style completely. Reboots only work when it's a continuation, like didn't Dallas get the continuation treatment too? And that was somewhat successful. And don't forget The X-Files!

I have no problem with reboots, but if they could please stop this remake madness, that'll be great. People want to see the shows they love come back because of the nostalgia, but they also want to see it with the original cast they fell in love with in the first place, because those are the people who made the show what it was. 

They could've at least made it Magnum's son or something, and put Tom Selleck in the pilot episode to kick this off. 

I think they tried to do something like that with MacGyver but Richard Dean Anderson didn't want any part. They were trying to make the original MacGyver be current MacGyver's father. They got the original Murdoch to be a villain in an episode. At least they tried. In my opinion, MacGyver is the best remake on TV at the moment.

Thankyou James good points. I just thought it was really interesting with the “Roseanne” continuation 21 years after ending. It’s been a huge hit and they have remained very loyal to the original fan base. 

I honestly think with the right people both cast and crew, there's no reason they can't make a show that has the tone/style of Vice without it being a flat-out reboot. It just needs the same edge without white-on-pastel clothes and an 80's pop soundtrack, lol. At the very least, Netflix should try something as a one-off like they did with "Stranger Things". There's the perfect example of how the 80's style can be done right, IMO.