An overdue introduction

Retro80sfan

I know this is a little overdue seeing as how I've been a member for three months now :), but I had recently found this topic, so I thought I'd share a little info about myself.

I'm a 19 year old Vicer (a '99er  :thumbsup:) who lives on the east coast (same section of America as Miami ;)). I grew up as a kid innocently being introduced and watching almost nothing but old movies, (nothing has changed in that department) without knowing about their age. Back to the Future is my favorite movie of all time, a childhood favorite. As of now my favorite show is of course you guessed it: Miami Vice. I've always felt an attraction for anything retro, especially in my later years with a deep love for the 80s in particular (hence my profile name). I've kinda occasionally felt outta place with my generation because of my old style/preferences, but I didn't/don't really care (in my opinion pretty much everything sucks nowadays). It's nice to see fellow young people with an admiration for the older stuff, thought I was the only one :). Anyway, my background with Vice started with GTA: Vice City, which has been my favorite video game since I first played it a little after it first came out. I have a lot of nostalgia for that game. One day, I decided to look up some info online about this game and came across a listing of MV as one of it's inspirations, but it didn't go anywhere until' I was reminded of that a couple years later. I figured that the inspiration must be extraordinary to be connected to this already phenomenal game. So, I first officially watched the show when I bought it on DVD at around the end of 2015 (the original Universal ones) and the rest is history. Ever since then, I've watched every episode at least 4 or 5 times this year alone. Every month or so, I try to binge watch the show from beginning to end. Even when I can't decide what to watch, MV is one of the defaults I go to. It wasn't very long after before I discovered this site, due to one of the topics. Though it took a while before I finally decided to join this site. Kinda wish I had joined earlier (better late than never! :)). It also didn't take long for the show to leave it's mark on me. I haven't yet invested in any pastel clothing, slip-ons, or linen pants, but I did get a pair of plain black Wayfarers at the same time I started watching the show, long story short, my first pair didn't fit, so I bought another pair (which I've been wearing regularly since then). MV is a timeless show and this site is a testament to it. A place where the 1980s are still going on strong! I feel right at place here.

Long live Vice and the 80s! :thumbsup:

Again, sorry if this is a little out of place :). I guess this wasn't really an introduction, but more of me just wanting to share a bit about myself. ;)

Edited by Retro80sfan
  • Like 5
  • Haha 1

• Administrators

Welcome to the site, newbie. :)

Very thankful for GTA Vice City. Seems like for us youngings, that was the introduction for our love of 1980s Miami. 

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, James said:

Welcome to the site, newbie. :)

I figured what the heck, better late than never! :) ;)

42 minutes ago, James said:

Very thankful for GTA Vice City. Seems like for us youngings, that was the introduction for our love of 1980s Miami. 

It sure was mine!

Edited by Retro80sfan
  • Like 1

Welcome and regards from France.

I think I can understand how you feel... the first record I ever bought was a 2nd-hand Kool & the Gang audio tape from the 80's... it was around 1995 (I was 13) when all my mates were listening to grunge rock or west coast hip-hop ! People didn't understand my choice at the time but came to it later.

My musical tastes still didn't change ! :)

33 minutes ago, Kalwynn said:

Welcome and regards from France.

Same to you, pal! :thumbsup:

33 minutes ago, Kalwynn said:

I think I can understand how you feel... the first record I ever bought was a 2nd-hand Kool & the Gang audio tape from the 80's... it was around 1995 (I was 13) when all my mates were listening to grunge rock or west coast hip-hop ! People didn't understand my choice at the time but came to it later.

My musical tastes still didn't change ! :)

An appreciation for good music regardless of popularity with other people, cool! ;)

Edited by Retro80sfan

Along with all the other contributions you’re already making here, it’s particularly  nice to have a new friend in the trivia threads. The more, the better there. 

• Thanks 1

On 5/21/2018 at 8:54 AM, Retro80sfan said:

I know this is a little overdue seeing as how I've been a member for three months now :), but I had recently found this topic, so I thought I'd share a little info about myself.

I'm a 19 year old Vicer (a '99er  :thumbsup:) who lives on the east coast (same section of America as Miami ;)). I grew up as a kid innocently being introduced and watching almost nothing but old movies, (nothing has changed in that department) without knowing about their age. Back to the Future is my favorite movie of all time, a childhood favorite. As of now my favorite show is of course you guessed it: Miami Vice. I've always felt an attraction for anything retro, especially in my later years with a deep love for the 80s in particular (hence my profile name). I've kinda occasionally felt outta place with my generation because of my old style/preferences, but I didn't/don't really care (in my opinion pretty much everything sucks nowadays). It's nice to see fellow young people with an admiration for the older stuff, thought I was the only one :). Anyway, my background with Vice started with GTA: Vice City, which has been my favorite video game since I first played it a little after it first came out. I have a lot of nostalgia for that game. One day, I decided to look up some info online about this game and came across a listing of MV as one of it's inspirations, but it didn't go anywhere until' I was reminded of that a couple years later. I figured that the inspiration must be extraordinary to be connected to this already phenomenal game. So, I first officially watched the show when I bought it on DVD at around the end of 2015 (the original Universal ones) and the rest is history. Ever since then, I've watched every episode at least 4 or 5 times. Every month or so, I try to binge watch the show from beginning to end. Even when I can't decide what to watch, MV is one of the defaults I go to. It wasn't very long after before I discovered this site, due to one of the topics. Though it took a while before I finally decided to join this site. Kinda wish I had joined earlier (better late than never! :)). It also didn't take long for the show to leave it's mark on me. I haven't yet invested in any pastel clothing, slip-ons, or linen pants, but I did get a pair of plain black Wayfarers at the same time I started watching the show, long story short, my first pair didn't fit, so I bought another pair (which I've been wearing regularly since then). MV is a timeless show and this site is a testament to it. A place where the 1980s are still going on strong! I feel right at place here.

Long live Vice and the 80s! :thumbsup:

Again, sorry if this is a little out of place :). I guess this wasn't really an introduction, but more of me just wanting to share a bit about myself. ;)

A great post - Thankyou for the thought and detail. You are an asset here. 

• Administrators

It's always good to see a member of the younger generations that can appreciate quality TV!  Welcome back to the 80"s!

• Like 3

Cool, cool. You're 19? I'm 20. Good to know there are a decent amount of young guys around here. I don't think I've talked to you before, but it's nice to meet you.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, pmconroy said:

Cool, cool. You're 19? I'm 20. Good to know there are a decent amount of young guys around here. I don't think I've talked to you before, but it's nice to meet you.

Yeah, It's always nice to see fellow young guys who appreciate/love the old stuff like I do. I think we collaborated on a topic of yours about finding some suitable Henley shirts. Hope that's going well for you ;). It's nice to officially meet you too. :thumbsup:

Edited by Retro80sfan

I'm always glad to see new young members having a feeling (when not an obsession!) for MV and the 80s.

I was 24 when it aired for the first time, and I really couldn't imagine how many people in their 20s love the show and that magic decade until I joined this community some years ago.

Thanks for your contribution & welcome on board, pal.

JB

• Like 1