New Jan Hammer Social Media

Dadrian

1 hour ago, Dadrian said:

Thanks Dadrian for summing up - the two “unreleased” tracks from the Special Edition complication, Little Havana and The Kick, don’t really sound like JH - the production sounds a little off- what do you think ? Is this an official release?

Edited by Matt5

37 minutes ago, Matt5 said:

And “The Kick” ( 2018)

I heard this track recently and thought Wow, in a surprising way. :) You certainly wouldn't think this was from the Vice days. 

Sounds like something for a S5 episode club scene/dark scene/car chase or I think also would fit perfect in the MV reboot 2018/19.

Edited by summer84
  • Like 1

• Administrators
2 hours ago, Matt5 said:

And “The Kick” ( 2018)

Sounds like something for the "if Miami Vice continued into the 90s" thread. :p 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • Administrators
23 hours ago, Matt5 said:

Movie ? @James

The version he released around the same time as the release of the Miami Vice movie, I mean. 

• 3 weeks later...

Really cool that Jan is becoming active again! With social media and the new releases.  Makes you kinda wonder...I guess he figured out he's just not ready for retiring yet! Which I thought he was after he released that CC Bonus track "South Beach" a while back...which to me seemed like a pun on his retirement? (South Beach is the part of  Miami where a lot of old people live, right?) But I'm glad it wasn't. :)

• Administrators
9 hours ago, Den Taylor said:

Really cool that Jan is becoming active again! With social media and the new releases.  Makes you kinda wonder...I guess he figured out he's just not ready for retiring yet! Which I thought he was after he released that CC Bonus track "South Beach" a while back...which to me seemed like a pun on his retirement? (South Beach is the part of  Miami where a lot of old people live, right?) But I'm glad it wasn't. :)

He probably picked it back up as a hobby. Probably got bored in retirement at home all day, dusted off the old equipment and produced the music in his house? Musicians never really "retire", they catch the bug and are in it for life. 

• Like 1

On 9/25/2018 at 1:38 PM, Dadrian said:

Cool that he still uses the Fairlight :thumbsup:

I agree very cool, thought you’d enjoy the technical side of the piece Dadrian.

• 4 weeks later...

Jan Hammer posted this a few days ago on his Facebook page a real nice new interview. 

There are a couple of pre- Miami Vice tracks I can’t identify at 1.51 and 8.25 (on the link ) can anyone help me please?:hippie:

Edited by Matt5

17 hours ago, Dadrian said:

Thanks for sharing, @Matt5

I can’t get wait to check this out. I’ll identify those mystery songs for you if I can...

Would sure appreciate that 

The later one is with Jeff Beck and sounds really Miami Vice- ish  :hippie:

@Dadrian it’s ok I found tracks and did some research.. the track at 8.25 is actually a lesser known track on JHs new “Seasons” album it was a guitar snippet as they were referencing Jeff Beck at the time i thought it was from that era. 

But interesting the snippet at 1.51 was a 1983 co-written piece with Al Di Meola, a World music/ jazz fusion guitarist, called “African Nights” which Jan also played keyboards on (and the entire album). Jan co-produced and wrote many tracks on this 1983 Al Di Meola album titled Scenerio.

Something  I never knew until yesterday was that “Island Dreamer” on Jan’s 1994 “Drive” album was also written by Jan and appeared with JH producing and playing keyboards on a 1983 version which was then  released in 1984 on the Scenario album by Di Meola.

Edited by Matt5

Good work @Matt5

I have all those albums you mentioned. “Scenario” has always been a favorite. I listened to the podcast just last night and was logging in here post, and voila—you beat me to it. :) 

10 hours ago, Dadrian said:

Good work @Matt5

I have all those albums you mentioned. “Scenario” has always been a favorite. I listened to the podcast just last night and was logging in here post, and voila—you beat me to it. :) 

The African Nights song is so Miami Vice (circa 1983-4) .

Great Dadrian you have the albums and you having the ”Scenario” album you now more than likely know my next question ?! :hippie::):cheers:

Edited by Matt5
  • Haha 1